Vuelta a Espaņa & Tour of Britain 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cummings is a capable time triallist (as is Vermote), just a case of whether he can keep enough time in hand from the hilly stages. Plus he's unlikely to be given any leeway for one of his trademark attacks.

Comment

Small but strong break today: House, Briggs, Cronshaw ... and Stannard.

Comment

About 6'20" gap, about 90km to go, and Tony Martin doing the pulling for Vermote's Etixx team.

Comment

However none of the leaders today are within 13:00 of the lead, so they are not a realistic GC threat.

Comment

Big crowds out today.

Adrien Costa's abandoned after his nasty crash yesterday. Pity, but he's a name we will talk of again.

Comment

Stannard, House, Briggs cross the top of the Cat and Fiddle, lead 6:43 with 45k left. If they were all World Tour riders I'd expect that to stick, as it is I'm not so sure.

Comment

Solo Stannard!

Comment

The gap's just leapt to 6:30 with 30k left, though the way it shot up suggested the GPS tracker might have broken again. That said the urgency looks to have gone out the chase.

Comment

longeared wrote: That said the urgency looks to have gone out the chase.

When Cav is the fastest guy in the peloton up a climb, you can tell the urgency isn't there.

Comment

No surprise, though. These are six man teams, not nine, and the GC contenders' teams will be saving themselves for the rest of the week.

Comment

Mumpo wrote: Are the going up The Struggle? Cool. I've descended it, after taking the slightly easier ascent up the Kirkstone Pass (missus)
                        I presume you've seen Wiggins' effort up The Struggle yesterday by now?

Comment

Another time check from the car puts the gap at 7:20. Home and hosed.

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: No surprise, though. These are six man teams, not nine, and the GC contenders' teams will be saving themselves for the rest of the week.
                            Or fewer than six in some cases - Etixx have lost Costa, whereas Giant and Trek only started with five riders.

Stannard flexing his legs a bit, hope he's not cramping up, but if he is it'll just reduce his winning margin now.

Comment

Chapeau Yogi.

Comment

State of Taylor Phinney's moustache.

Comment

Kevchenko wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Mumpo
                                  Are the going up The Struggle? Cool. I've descended it, after taking the slightly easier ascent up the Kirkstone Pass (missus)
                                  I presume you've seen Wiggins' effort up The Struggle yesterday by now?

I've been looking for some background on this, was there a bona fide reason for getting off and legging it up the Struggle, or was Wiggo just taking the p1ss?

Comment

Probably the latter. Maybe he could reproduce other Froome moments of the summer by pedalling down a hill at high cadence while sat on his top tube, then having to chase on his own all day because his team were asleep.

Groenewegen just won a technical finish to the ToB stage where it was necessary to be at the front coming out the final corner.

Comment

Punishing finish in the Vuelta today.

I must say that a comparison of the eight other Sky riders at the Vuelta compared to the Tour is not favourable at all, but I guess you can only get riders of that quality to play second fiddle once a year.

Comment

Break did their level best to chuck it away in the ToB today, they had the peloton chasing them down all the way from a six minute advantage with 60k left. They came over a little lump, had 45 seconds with 4k to go then started looking at each other. The trains, which had practically given up, came at it in full flight, the break just made it and Jack Bauer won. Don't think they even got a time gap, it was that close.

Comment

longeared wrote: the break just made it and Jack Bauer won. Don't think they even got a time gap, it was that close.
                                          No they didn't get the time gap. But I heard the stage took 23H59 seconds.

(Tell me no one has done this before)

Comment

We were watching just past the 1km to go - the route considerately going past a baby play area. I thought the break was going to get caught. Our daughter loved it.

Comment

Etienne wrote: We were watching just past the 1km to go - the route considerately going past a baby play area. I thought the break was going to get caught. Our daughter loved it.
                                              Take her to the Shrewsbury Grand Prix?

My lad loves it.

Comment

I'm sure she will see pretty much any live sport going, as long as she continues to tolerate it.

Comment

Etienne wrote: I'm sure she will see pretty much any live sport going, as long as she continues to tolerate it.
                                                  That's great.

Just don't take her to the Greehous Meadow.

Comment

Football is something she will be allowed a choice in - unlike Rugby League, where she will have to support Warrington, and cricket, where she will have to support Glamorgan.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X