Vuelta a Espaņa & Tour of Britain 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just flicked over from the Grand Prix to the Tour of Britain to see the peloton rolling up a climb in the big ring and most of the images coming from the helicopter. Double tick there.

Personally I've found Froome's style of racing more enjoyable this year but as an individual he leaves me cold.

Comment

Gone absolutely coconuts at the Vuelta by the way, Contador attacked right at the start and is away in a group with Quintana. Froome is about 2:30 back and most of his team even further behind.

Comment

Just turned on and with less than 30km to go it's going to be a great end to the stage. Can Froome and Chavas salvage anything from today?

Comment

Gap's still about 2:30, if they can maintain that to the finish then Quintana has a margin that is defendable in the time trial.

Griepel's won the first Tour of Britain stage, took a comfortable win from Caleb Ewan. There was a crash on the last corner which took out Cav, Groenewegen and Viviani - the latter saw his frame smashed by the impact. Lots of splits in the peloton coming down the straight but imagine everyone will get the same time.

Comment

+3:37 on GC. Quintana the favourite now.

Good to see a Greipel winning face again in the ToB.

Comment

Not content with foisting Glenn Hoddle on us for two hours earlier, we got to see the final climb twice in tonight's Tour of Britain highlights. ITV eh? God love them.

Comment

Big break of 15 riders has gone clear at the start of the ToB stage, most of the main teams represented apart from Movistar. I hope they're not going to build an enormous advantage and kill the race at this early stage - they're already 5 minutes up.

Comment

Can I get a rough estimate of when the Bath stage might finish? With a one year old we can't hang around too much. I know Le Tour finishes are about 4-5pm, is that right for ToB?

Comment

Quite a wide spread for the scheduled finish in Bath, fastest schedule 1504, average 1531, slowest 1558. FWIW yesterday they finished almost bang on the organisers average schedule.

Comment

longeared wrote: Big break of 15 riders has gone clear at the start of the ToB stage, most of the main teams represented apart from Movistar. I hope they're not going to build an enormous advantage and kill the race at this early stage - they're already 5 minutes up.
                      Gap coming down now.

Comment

Listening to Hugh Porter and Brian Smith makes me want to tear my ears off, but the former has just compounded their banality by saying the Cumberland Pencil Museum is in Cockermouth.

(It's actually in Keswick, though currently closed according to their website)

Comment

"Have you ever raced up this climb Brian? I've rode it but not raced it"
                          "No I've not raced it Hugh"

Comment

thanks longeared.

Comment

Yeah, thanks, longearead. Saved me a wasted journey to the pencil museum there.

Comment

"The Struggle" really living up to its name. Rohan Dennis with a great attack.

Comment

Are the going up The Struggle? Cool. I've descended it, after taking the slightly easier ascent up the Kirkstone Pass (missus)

Comment

There's a second group escaped which includes Tom Dumoulin, the other teams shouldn't really be working with him given that he can climb and time trial.

Comment

More riders join at the front; this should stick now.

Comment

And then Cummings and Vermote attack off the front, breaking that group apart again. Well, maybe this one will stick!

Comment

Cummings is the strongest rider here, he just needs to work with Vermote and then go deep on the final climb. They used this finish in 2013 and it created some modest time gaps.

Comment

They're going well; chase group not showing the required urgency and the gap is growing.

Comment

Vermote takes it, Cummings simply didn't have the legs on the final ascent. Dan Martin about to take 3rd at a minute or so.

Comment

Vermote's second ToB stage win, after Brighton 2014. Very good stage, that.

Comment

Agree, that was a good stage. Peloton at about 4 minutes so the eventual winner will likely come from today's escapees. Tom Dumoulin, then.

Comment

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=149941

TdF 2015, time trial not far off the length of this one. Cummings is very good on shorter ITTs and might just have enough time in hand.

Dennis too, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X