Opening ceremony hopes and wishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those interested, it was 35 minutes of studio talk, talking to only American athletes, and commercials before NBC's tape-delayed coverages showed anything from the opening ceremony. No word yet if we will miss anything from the ceremony itself like we did from the London games (they decided to leave out the memorial segment for Ryan Seacrest interviewing Michael Phelps instead (http://deadspin.com/5930048/nbc-responds-we-removed-the-opening-ceremony-memorial-to-terrorism-victims-because-the-tribute-wasnt-about-america)

Comment

Maybe that's for the better Inca, you don't want another installment of Bob Costas' world views...

Caetano still sounding good. Very festive and colorful atmosphere, much better than the London ceremonies.

Comment

The white Niemeyer stage with the winding staircase was a nice touch, and that cauldron metal mobile sculpture is pretty spiffy.

Comment

May I just say that NBC are a bunch of utter fucking cunts.

In 105 minutes, there have been 11 advert breaks. That's one every 10 minutes INCLUDING THE BREAKS.

Comment

Gerontophile wrote: May I just say that NBC are a bunch of utter fucking cunts.

In 105 minutes, there have been 11 advert breaks. That's one every 10 minutes INCLUDING THE BREAKS.
            The rights fee they pay makes the olympics possible. They can do whatever they want.
            https://youtu.be/pqUdPa0EfbE

Comment

Well, I won't be watching a single minute on NBC after tonight, so fuck them.

I knew it was going to be bad, but this is intolerable.

Comment

Welcome to the US, Gero

Comment

I didn't watch the ceremony yet, because once it's 4 hours delayed I might as well watch sometime next week when I'm bored. But the online coverage of the footy from NBC seemed to cut to commercial breaks at random times in the play. Like, when actual football was happening. Is this to be expected? Do I need to revert to BBC on VPN?

Comment

I will.

Although, when I watch Family Guy on Fox online, it skips the adverts (I have an adblocker). So maybe...

Comment

People complain about all of this shit every four years and NBC never changes.

I've become this guy for the foreseeable future.
                      http://www.theonion.com/article/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel-429

Comment

The refugees, and Brazil appearing make up for a lot of things, except the cameras cutting to the US athletes who must be contracted to shout USA USA USA everytime they are on screen.

I am just being snitty. It's totally understandable.

Comment

LOVED the rings, and the gold and green Jeebus. (Still going on...)

Comment

I did enjoy the last bits. Guga, and the guy lighting the torch got something in my eye, and the flame was cool.

Comment

Wonderful--I didn't think to extend the recording on the DVR because I figured that with tape delay and editing, they'd get the ceremony in the scheduled time. So I didn't get to see the flame lighting. We did get to see the oiled up Tongan flag bearer, though.

Comment

What time (in the UK) did the ceremony actually finish? I drifted off somewhere around Estonia at what must have been 2:30am but it seemed to have gone on well past the the scheduled 4am finish.

Comment

I went to bed at around 4am and it was still going on. Mind you, I'd missed most of the parade due to nodding off issues.

Comment

Working...
                                  X