#PrayForTheFourMarys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#PrayForTheFourMarys

Only ever experienced Nature's Indifferent Power when willfully putting myself in its way (eg Lairig Ghru in the Cairngorms).

Can't imagine an even greater walloping force hitting a populated area. Fair play for not keekin' yer breeks.

Comment

#PrayForTheFourMarys

Quick note as we're fending off rising flood waters now. I'll post more tomorrow or whenever we're done.

evilc - In the 10 years I've been on this site had no idea there was an associated Facebook page.

You're assuming I didn't soil myself, Lang.

That Antarctic experience does sound pretty cool, Snake. But yeah, I have no need to feel temps measured in Kelvin, even if only for a brief moment.

Thanks for Mail link, Linus, but, ugh, that report is doggrel. Refers to Belize and neighbours as SOUTH America. Crack an atlas, Mail "journalists".

The reasons for being Belize are complex, but briefly: Belize was my Dad's last major posting with the Army in 1992. The folks loved the place and made friends here. About three years back I was hating my civil service "job" (short-term contracts with long gaps between, in a poisoned, defeated atmosphere) and my life in Manchester in general and wanted a change.

I put in for a US Visa, naively thinking the fact that my brother is now a US Citizen and my parents are Permanent Residents might help my case only to face an 8 year wait (now down to 3 years).Not wanting to go back to Europe I decided to bum around Belize for six months and "see what comes up".

Mum comes to visit me after about three months and then suddenly there's a"family plan" to buy land and them to retire here. Since then it's been just that. Took a while to find and buy the land and now I'm overseeing the building of the parents' retirement home. Can't legally work as I'm applying for Permanent Residency in Belize. Life is not suicidally dull but Belize is small so it can be somewhat repetitious. If the many little annoyances of Caribbean/Central American life get too much I can head to Mexico, to Chetumal or Cancun for a few home comforts.

Truth is, I have no idea what I'm going to do come the completion of their house and/or a decision on Residency. I'm British, but I've always been an ex-pat first and being a PLP-supporting UK Unionist RemaINer I'm in no rush to return "home" right now. I'm keen to get back to some kind of paid work before my meager savings run out. By choice, this would be in Northern California, but choice seems a fairly foreign concept now I have three "home" countries that show varying degrees of not wanting me.

Life is strange. Back to the ever-rising rivers...

Comment

#PrayForTheFourMarys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6vzf9swWro&app=desktop

Channel 5 News Belize main evening broadcast for 4th of August 2016, the night after the Hurricane,

The news in Belize starts WHEN WI DAMN READY! so you should skip to 13.45 minutes in for the actual broadcast.

Comment

#PrayForTheFourMarys

How's it going T4M?

Comment

Working...
          X