The Greatest Own Goals Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure this must have been done before, but... Can I suggest Keith Weller curling a shot past his own keeper (Mark Wallington?) from the right touchline about thirty yards out, against Luton IIRC, which would make it 1975-ish?
    As a Villa fan I have of course seen dozens of own goals 'in the flesh', probably the most spectacular being Shaun Teale scoring from an impossible angle near the goalline to the left of the goal, somehow hooking the ball back over his head and lobbing the keeper (Nigel Spink?). After about forty seconds.

Wayne Hatswell

https://[video=youtube_share;Lev-Nl9...?v=Lev-Nl9CqXE[/video]

Cambridge were so impressed by this that they signed him a few months later (he did a good job, as it happens)

Comment

No list can be complete without this one - not only spectacular but the goal that relegated Man City into Div 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWNjWfIHXL4

Comment

One of the greats - if anyone can find it online - is surely that of Man City and Scotland's Willie Donachie in a 1978 Home Championship match against Wales.

Weller's classic OG (indeed from April 1975) is here (about fifty seconds in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1taos55qWBY

Comment

That's an Arsenal-Luton game from 1974, JW.

I'd love to see that Donachie goal again.

Comment

Glass Half Empty wrote: No list can be complete without this one - not only spectacular but the goal that relegated Man City into Div 3.
            Its a neat narrative, but it isn't quite true. Man City still had a chance of staying up following that QPR game.

Comment

We have obviously done this before, but even so it's worth resurrecting some favourites.

Chris Brass

https://[video=youtube_share;yo8FANX...?v=yo8FANX7o9U[/video]

Comment

I can confirm that the greatest ever own goal is this, from the Hungarian FA Cup.

Comment

Janik wrote:
                  Originally posted by Glass Half Empty
                  No list can be complete without this one - not only spectacular but the goal that relegated Man City into Div 3.
                  Its a neat narrative, but it isn't quite true. Man City still had a chance of staying up following that QPR game.
                  Yeah, technically you are correct but that 1-1 draw against QPR took it out of their own hands and put them in a pretty desperate position. It meant that they couldn't catch QPR and went in to the last game needing to win and for 2 of Stoke, Port Vale and Portsmouth to lose. City won but only Stoke of the other three results went their way.

Comment

Furtho wrote: I can confirm that the greatest ever own goal is this, from the Hungarian FA Cup.
                    That is glorious.

Comment

Franck Queudreu for Lens wasn't bad.

Comment

As I mentioned it on the headed goals, I should mention it on here.

Comment

Also, You had to be there, I suppose.

Comment

This is good and recent.

Comment

Glass Half Empty wrote: City won but only Stoke of the other three results went their way.
                              Which was assured, as Man City were playing Stoke! i.e. it was only 1 of 2 results Man City needed in addition to them winning (and that 1 of 2 was either not to win, rather than both lose), rather than 2 of 3. The players who scored the goals that sent them down were the ones who got four for Vale at Huddersfield and three for Portsmouth at Bradford.

Comment

That Rob Ullathorne and Bryan Gunn combination.

https://[video=youtube_share;Eth6hYO...?v=Eth6hYOK_jU[/video]

Terrific Keanu Reeves impression from Ullathorne too.

Comment

Furtho wrote: I can confirm that the greatest ever own goal is this, from the Hungarian FA Cup.
                                  Excellent shout. Put me in mind of a classic og from Scotland, I can't recall the exact details but I'm pretty sure it was Airdrie and either Falkirk or Dundee playing, a long ball down the middle, striker pushes it past the keeper and they collide, leaving the covering defender to sweep up the loose ball and sidefoot it into the net.

Comment

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote: That's an Arsenal-Luton game from 1974, JW.

I'd love to see that Donachie goal again.
                                    It was originally (for some reason) - should have become the right video after my edit? Try it again.

Can't find the Donachie OG anywhere, unfortunately.

Comment

This might be my favourite that I've seen in the flesh.
                                      I don't think I've ever seen the video until just now. It is exactly how I remember, thankfully.

Comment

Bordeaux Education wrote: Also, You had to be there, I suppose.
                                        Eh? There are no own goals in that match.

Comment

Ha, wrong thread

Comment

I was at that game, a rivalry already stoked up by Ian Crook's decision not to sign for Ipswich but to return to former club Norwich instead. The only game I have ever been to where stewards actually opened the pitchside gates to let Ipswich fans on to the pitch to 'celebrate' in front of the away fans.

Comment

In a similar vein to Ullathorne and Gunn, of course we also have Neville and Robinson. I love the way McClaren tries to pretend he's writing stuff in his notebook after it goes in. What were you writing, eh, Shteve?

https://[video=youtube_share;KEuyfJG...?v=KEuyfJGg7AA[/video]

Comment

Did someone say back-heeled volley?

https://[video=youtube_share;s_pu4T-...?v=s_pu4T-4a_c[/video]

Comment

https://[video=youtube_share;U8PBG8N...?v=U8PBG8NrONE[/video]

Comment

Working...
                                                  X