Your top 10 animated shorts/episodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alderman Barnes wrote: I only came on this thread to look at the Cat Concerto, which to my mind is still the highest point of Western culture to the present day, and then along comes AdC with all these jewels.

Have you seen the really old ones where Betty Boop was a dog? In a decent world, you'd be presenting a 13-part series on BBC 4 about this.
    Yes, Dizzy Dishes. She's a torch-singing poodle. Though you be hard pressed to figure that out.

Comment

There was a three-part series on BBC Four about a decade ago about the history of British animation, appropriately called Animation Nation. I managed to get them on an old torrent group that's long since died - fascinating viewing.

I would upload them somewhere if I didn't think they'd get immediately taken down again.

Comment

Remember Standing Room Only, which was on BBC2 on Monday evenings and was hosted by Simon O'Brien? It tried to be a bit like a fanzine but on telly.

I had church pantomime practices on Monday evenings so would record it on the video. As was customary, I always set the recording to finish five minutes after the published time to make sure I got it all.

One evening, I got three minutes of a brilliant Tex Avery cartoon called Cellbound thanks to my habit, but I didn't get to see the end. Thanks to the internet and YouTube, I did, but it's now been taken off.

Anyway, Cellbound and Trap Door and Danger Mouse and swathes of the Simpsons (series 2-8 only).

Comment

If no one has already mentioned Futurama "Love's Labours Lost in Space" then you're all completely and totally wrong.

Comment

I was just thinking of the first, ultra-violent, episode of Aeon Flux (1991?). Looking at it again it wouldn't make it into my top 10, but I had never realised it was the inspiration for the godawful Charlize Theron film years later (even though it has the same name).

Comment

hobbes wrote: If no one has already mentioned Futurama "Love's Labours Lost in Space" then you're all completely and totally wrong.
              Amazon Women in the Mood is better.

"Snoo snoo!"

"Ladies please, the spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised."

Comment

'The Big Snit' has already been mentioned.

I can't remember the names of the individual Tex Avery cartoons, so I can't reference any of them, sadly.

So really it's just the 'mainstream' animated series that I can make a small list of, I'm afraid. (Although this almost made piss myself laughing when I saw it, as a child. And - at the other end of the spectrum - this is almost as dark as they come ...although it's borderline animation, even though it's by some of the world's most famous animators. Only an excerpt from the original, which was nearly 20 minutes long. You'll get the idea, though.)

So... In no particular order, then:

The Simpsons - 'Trilogy Of Error' (BOLLOCKS!!! Link fail! Once that episode has started, you'll need to click on the link to 'Trilogy Of Error' in the list below the player. It seems direct-linking doesn't work on that site, after all!)
                Futurama - 'Three Hundred Big Ones'
                Family Guy - 'Brian & Stewie'
                South Park - 'Make Love, Not Warcraft'*
                King Of The Hill - never watched it, really, so I can't comment.
                Beavis & Butthead - I can't remember individual episodes, so it obviously made less of an impression.
                The Tick - 'The Tick vs. El Seed'
                Duckman - 'Married Alive'
                Ren & Stimpy - 'Ren's Toothache'

(* - For South Park, I could just as easily chosen 'A.W.E.S.O.M.-O', 'Cow Days', 'The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers' or 'Fun With Weapons'. They're all remarkable.)

Comment

If that Brian & Stewie is the two-hander, bank vault episode, it is by far the best Family Guy episode ever made. (Apart from the Surfin Bird mentalism)

Comment

I always have to revisit this particular Ren & Stimpy every few years. It's quite possibly my favorite animated thing ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDa1ZNPcfMA

Comment

Gerontophile wrote: If that Brian & Stewie is the two-hander, bank vault episode, it is by far the best Family Guy episode ever made. (Apart from the Surfin Bird mentalism)
                      Indeed it is.

"Wait - don't we have to put an earring in it, so the hole won't close?"

"I don't think it's gonna close!"

Comment

Anyway. In the realms of funny animation I'd find it too hard to pick the best out of these:

Ren and Stimpy
                        Rocko's Modern Life
                        Rex the Runt
                        Bob's Burgers
                        Archer

Pretty much all gold. Oh, and an honourable mention to Dick Spanner, if you can find it online anywhere.

Comment

Both the feature length Dick Spanners are on YouTube - the VHS ones without the weird cuts and edits of the DVDs.

And how the fuck did I forget The Tick? In particular the Dinosaur Neil episode - ZOSE ARE ZE LARGEST TROUSERS IN ZE VORLD!

Comment

Has Count Duckula been mentioned yet?

Comment

'Allo, Duckypoos!

Comment

Working...
                              X