Don Hertzfeldt - Rejected
    Tex Avery - Symphony In Slang
    Looney Tunes - Duck Amuck
    Samination - Detective Taco
    Goofy - How To Play Football
    Richard Condie - The Big Snit
    Bill Plympton - Push Comes To Shove

Your top 10 animated shorts/episodes

Animated shorts and episodes seem like apples and oranges to me. How do you compare, say, an episode of Archer, to, say Paperman? They're completely different art forms.

Comment

Plus, do they have to be funny? Bob Godfrey's Great, an animated film about Isambard Kingdom Brunel, is one of my absolute favourites.

Comment

Cordell barker -the cat came back
        chuck Jones - one froggy evening

Comment

The Sinking of the Lusitania — Winsor McCay

Betty Boop's Snow White — Max Fleischer

Comment

I know it's the obvious choice, but What's Opera Doc remains one of the greatest pieces of entertainment ever made.

Comment

Absolutely anything by Bill Plympton.

Comment

How short do you want? The Trouble With Facelifts.

Comment

Bambi vs Godzilla (as short as a title sequence but with a terrific punch line)

Golden-Age Simpsons, from Homer's adventure in space (plus inanimate carbon rod) to the classic monorail episode.

Comment

The Pixar short 'Piper' on the front of Finding Dory is amazing.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: Plus, do they have to be funny?
                      No - I was very close to putting something by Svankmajer in there, most likely Dimensions Of Dialogue. Mind you, even that's got some extremely dark humour in there.

Comment

Lost and Found is a lovely half hour animation - does that fit in the 'shorts' category?

If so, The Wrong Trousers also needs a mention.

Another great animated short is Vincent by Tim Burton.

But Pixar have the edge on this: For the Birds, Knick Knack, and Partly Cloudy are three of their best ones. (Along with Piper mentioned above)

I always loved the Tom & Jerry where Tom was playing the piano in a concert hall and woke up Jerry who was sleeping inside.

Comment

Birds from Pixar is brilliant and never fails to make me laugh.

Pixar - Birds

Comment

Tom and Jerry - "The Cat Concerto"

Comment

Don't have nightmares

Comment

ShortyMedlocke wrote: Birds from Pixar is brilliant and never fails to make me laugh.

Pixar - Birds
                                Loved that.

And it links to loads more of Pixar shorts on the right hand side.

Comment

Already beaten to The Big Snit.

"You're always shakin' your eyes."

And, of course...

'Sawing For Teens".

Comment

Leon.

There's a whole series of these from a French studio. Funny enough, but I suspect that kids will adore them. (Not in French.)

Comment

Barney's Hungry Cousin.

Dick Lundy aceness.

As with so many cartoons of that time, it's the music and sound that tops of the genius. (eg 1:11 when cousin steals sausage and Barney bites fork).

I'm always very partial to the cartoon trope of using alum to shrink something, the example of 1:58 being absolute prime.

Classic phonebox gag at 4:46.

Comment

I don't know what it's called or if the entire episode is any good but the section in South Park where the guy goes on Wheel of Fortune is one of the funniest things i have seen on tv.

Comment

Crikey, that Lusitania one is fascinating and horrible. I've seen McCay's Gertie the Dinosaur, but the technique on that one is just breathtaking.

Comment

And the Betty Boop one is astonishing too. The weirdness in it, Christ. Took me right back to school holiday viewing in the 70s and thinking that with all that my daughter's generation can watch these days, they'll never see anything as downright weird as that without being pointed towards it. Or even a silent film. Or even a black-and-white one.

Comment

Alderman Barnes wrote: Crikey, that Lusitania one is fascinating and horrible. I've seen McCay's Gertie the Dinosaur, but the technique on that one is just breathtaking.
                                              I agree enormously powerful, which if you think about how it was achieved, one card at a time with no overlays makes it even more remarkable.

And the Betty Boop one is astonishing too. The weirdness in it, Christ.

Yeah. There's another one he did for Cab Calloway's Minnie the Moocher which is worth checking out too. He invented the Rotoscope, which enabled frame-by-frame drawing from film using Calloway as a model. Minnie the Moocher opens with a clip of Calloway and you can see how effective it was in both shorts. Calloway's the Koko/Ghost in Snow White.

Sadly the Hays code killed Betty Boop — and the idea of 'adult' cartoons — for thirty years. For me Max Fleischer is the Orson Welles of animation, he grasped the outer reaches of what the medium could do, but was too idiosyncratic and financially chaotic to run a studio successfully.

Comment

I only came on this thread to look at the Cat Concerto, which to my mind is still the highest point of Western culture to the present day, and then along comes AdC with all these jewels.

Have you seen the really old ones where Betty Boop was a dog? In a decent world, you'd be presenting a 13-part series on BBC 4 about this.

Comment

Here is a link to the Internet Archive, which has a slew of animation shorts (along with a load of other stuff of multivarious types) which may interest you.

I only found this site last night, so have no idea of the quality.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X