Ramsey Routed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ramsey Routed

I was musing on Big Sam's appointment, earlier, and went back to have a look at Sir Alf Ramsey's early days in the job, seeing as he is the touchstone by which all England managers must be judged.

I hadn't realised how long it took him to knock his England team into any kind of shape.

Ramsey's first competitive matches in charge were England's first foray into the European Championship qualifiers in 1962, where they were comprehensively beaten 5-2 away (followed by a 1-1 draw in the presumably meaningless second leg) by France. Excusable, certainly, France still had players like Raymond Kopa, although the England side Ramsey inherited had been quarter-finalists at the World Cup that preceded that match, while France hadn't even qualified.

Being hosts for 1966 meant England had no competitive games until those finals, other than the Home Internationals. And ... well, we didn't exactly distinguish ourselves. England lost to Scotland in both 1963 and 1964, drew with them at Wembley in 1965, and finally beat them (4-3) at Hampden in 1966, a month before the finals we were to host. Scotland only missed out on qualifying for the 1966 finals (to Italy) because English clubs refused to release their Scottish players for the crucial final qualifier; one does wonder, looking at that record, what Scotland might have done in the 1966 finals.

All in all, would the modern day tabloid press, faced with a record like that, have stuck by Ramsey? Did, indeed, the press of the day?

Ramsey Routed

The media are fickle. Was Fernando Santos under media pressure during or after Portugal's poor showing in this Euro's group phase? I'm pretty sure he's not now.

Comment

Ramsey Routed

Ramsey's first competitive matches in charge were England's first foray into the European Championship qualifiers in 1962, where they were comprehensively beaten 5-2 away (followed by a 1-1 draw in the presumably meaningless second leg) by France.
      The 1-1 game was actually the first leg. Walter Winterbottom was in charge of England for it.

Comment

Ramsey Routed

I don't think the England manager was treated as media property until around Mexico 70. Ramsey seems to have lost it when the press suddenly stopped being deferential.

Also 1962-65 would be treated as honeymoon period, even today, unless they had a really embarrassing friendly defeat. Did any England fans care about the 1964 Nations Cup?

Had they flopped in 66 without wingers, that would have been a different story.

Comment

Ramsey Routed

Today's tabloids transplanted to 1965 would have been praising England's heroic defence as if they were Iceland 2016. They were down to nine men against Scotland through injury (no subs) but held on.

"Ramsey's Crocks Defy Jocks", "Angry Alf Slams Scots" ...

Comment

Not sure where to post this, but here's as good a place as any. Ramsey in a brief interview talking about how he fears pretty much everything about Spurs:

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/208404

Comment

I swear Sir Alf looked exactly the same all through his life. I'm sure he was born in that overcoat.

Comment

Working...
              X