Robot Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robot Wars

[spoiler]Speed squared and and the robot with the pincers were, in part, victims of the weight limit. The pincers seemed to be far too big a percentage of the robot and therefore left no capacity for a weapon. House robot Shunt is not hampered in the same way and comes with the circular saw as well. Likewise Speed squared had the disc on the outside which in theory would make it more dangerous, but a it is effectively a large flywheel and therefore requires it to be of a certain weight. This meant that they could only put one cover on the robot and left the underside exposed, which is not a good tactic for a robot that is designed to work both ways up. Also they only used small bearings to support the wheel, and these were being shattered very easily by the vibration and the eventual buckling of the wheel. [/spoiler]

Comment

Robot Wars

Heh.

http://newsthump.com/2016/08/04/sir-killalot-named-in-cash-for-peerages-scandal/

Comment

Robot Wars

Okay, so I've been tempted out of lurk mode by this thread.

As a "veteran" of the first wars (series 2,3 and 4) I was slightly worried about what they would do to it, but I have to admit that I'm enjoying it so far, as are my 'kids' (who were 5 and 7 when we started and are now in their twenties!).

Wasn't too sure about Dara as presenter but he seems to be getting into it more now. The format seems okay although the head-to-heads depend on who you have to fight first as the repair time does seem to be much more restricted and if you get badly damaged in the first fight you've got much less chance of getting through the subsequent ones.

Series 2: Killdozer
        Series 3,4: Raizerblade

(So having de-lurked and dipped my toe in the water I'll just go and stand and shiver in the shallow end now and hope the rough boys don't splash me)

Comment

Robot Wars

Welcome!

Although in the spirit of this articular thread, I feel that I ought to try and bury a sharp object in your head, in a friendly way, obviously.

Good point about the head to heads.

Comment

Robot Wars

Yeah, it could become a future tactic (if you're paired with a really destructive robot in the first H2H) to activate the pit, then throw yourself into it!

Comment

Robot Wars

Snake Plissken wrote: Welcome!

Although in the spirit of this articular thread, I feel that I ought to try and bury a sharp object in your head, in a friendly way, obviously.

Good point about the head to heads.
              That's the welcome most newbies get on here, to be fair.

Comment

Robot Wars

I thought that was a deserved champion.

[spoiler]
                Carbide clearly most destructive, but definitely fragile with it.  The lad driving TR2 was superb and just a little unlucky not to get into the final, where I think he would have done exactly what Apollo's crew did. You could tell they were gutted when Apollo got through. One thing that annoyed me about old RW was the lack of driving skill, but the pilots for the finalists were definitely much better.

Thor brought an axe to a gun fight.  Unlucky to draw Carbide first and that was that.
                [/spoiler]

A good return for the series overall.

Comment

Robot Wars

Agreed. That was superb, I thought. It was also good to see that the final was almost completely populated by 'nice guys' and that seemingly the most unassuming of all won it.

Comment

Robot Wars

I really enjoyed the series on the whole. Always best to just have robot fighting robot if possible, without daft stuff like obstacle courses.

[spoiler]I was glad Apollo won that final to be honest, I warmed to them as the tournament went on. They always stayed in the spirit of the game, and I always like a robot that takes on he house robots as well.
                    I was always under the impression that etiquette prevented teams from going in on a dead robot once it had completely stopped. Maybe a shove in the pit, but not inflict any real damage, so I thought that Carbide taking an extra bite out of Apollo after it had stopped was a low blow, and the defeat in the final was just desserts.[/spoiler]

Comment

Robot Wars

If you're desperate for a robot-fighting fix, then the U.S. equivalent, Battlebots, is okay, if somewhat prone to the worst aspects of American sports and gameshow excesses.

Of course, I wouldn't condone anyone watching it online, on some dodgy streaming site.

Comment

Robot Wars

[spoiler]There is nothing finer than watching the face of a drone-owner, as his baby gets smashed out of the sky by a garden rake.[/spoiler]

Comment

Robot Wars

And, some of the links on that site have issues!

HOWEVER, the whole of The West Wing is available, so I'll let you off.

Comment

Robot Wars

Battle Bots (snigger) is also available through the Channel 5 player.

Comment

Robot Wars

Sean of the Shed wrote: Yes, in a sneery and dismissive manner. Craig Charles was much better, joining in instead of looking down at people.
                              It should have been Kryten having an existential crisis after every bout.

Comment

Robot Wars

New series started tonight. More of the same, and I mean that in a good way.

Comment

Robot Wars

Some good bouts, and a couple of onesided ones. In the old series when Craig Charles hosted it was the flippers that seemed to dominate but in these ones the spinners have really come to the fore.

Comment

Robot Wars

Sean of the Shed wrote: Some good bouts, and a couple of onesided ones. In the old series when Craig Charles hosted it was the flippers that seemed to dominate but in these ones the spinners have really come to the fore.
                                    Yeah, in the 'interim' before Robot Wars returned, I started watching Battlebots and it became apparent that the Americans had taken the spinners and refined them.

Talking of 'overseas' Roboteering...

Has anyone got any links to other regional/international (whatever you want to call it) equivalents of Robot Wars they can share? I could watch robots fighting all day! :-)

Comment

Robot Wars

Start here for Dutchland, and follow the links on the right

Comment

Robot Wars

Haha. Fucking mardy arse.

Comment

Robot Wars

Well they could have toyed with them for a bit first.

Comment

Robot Wars

I had some sympathy for him, to be honest. Bollocks decision.

But it's TV, so first rule of competition is nothing ever beats a cute kid.

Comment

Robot Wars

I thought the other decision they got was more dubious. That one with the spinner wiped them out.

Comment

Robot Wars

Sean of the Shed wrote: I thought the other decision they got was more dubious. That one with the spinner wiped them out.
                                                Totally.

Fucking shit decisions, the pair of them.

I hope this isn't going to turn into some 'Who wants to be stars in their X-factor' for toddlers with robots. Or, if there is to be such a show that it can be tucked away on C-fucking-Beebies.

Comment

Everyones favourite stroppy driver was in the first episode of the new series.

No spoilers, but some very good fights and Michael Portillos Bastard Love Child.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X