X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robot Wars

It's back, on BBC2 8pm tonight.

Robot Wars

US series has been on for about 4 weeks. They don't have the house robots (Sgt Bash, you are a STAR), and you get 4 battles in an hour show, with lots of bullshit (best watched with sound off).

Did you know, Robot Wars fact fans, that the original presenter was Jeremy Clarkson?

Comment

Robot Wars

Yes, in a sneery and dismissive manner. Craig Charles was much better, joining in instead of looking down at people.

Comment

Robot Wars

[spoiler]Razer out first round. Damn.[/spoiler]

Comment

Robot Wars

OY SPOILERS.

Comment

Robot Wars

Good point.

Comment

Robot Wars

OK watched it now. Fast forwarded through the crap.

The Irish guy with the ponytail is annoying.

Comment

Robot Wars

[hide]How do you do that spoiler thing?[/hide]

Comment

Robot Wars

Gerontophile wrote: [hide]How do you do that spoiler thing?[/hide]
                  Same as italics or bold in square brackets, but replace with the word spoiler.

Comment

Robot Wars

Gerontophile wrote: OK watched it now. Fast forwarded through the crap.

The Irish guy with the ponytail is annoying.
                    And the one without one isn't as enthusiastic as the previous host. The stuff in the pits is alright, but some of the padding is unnecessary. The final was a bit of an anticlimax, to be fair, compared to the earlier qualifiers.

Comment

Robot Wars

Yeah, but such is the way it goes. I thought overall, the group / head to head / final format worked as there wasn't the acres of filler that were in the original series.

[spoiler]
                      Carbide take the mantle of Team Smug from razer, who yet again got too cocky and screwed up.[/spoiler]

Comment

Robot Wars

No room for mistakes in the first round, though. One slip and anyone can go out. The head to head format of the second round means you get a second chance if anything goes wrong.

Comment

Robot Wars

Just caught up with this on iPlayer.

It's weird - about a year ago, I was thinking to myself "I'd really like to see some more Robot Wars now" ...and then this! It didn't seem to arrive with much fanfare, though, did it?

I love the new format, in terms of rounds. I also like the slightly more 'scientific' approach, which the inclusion of Dara O'Briain seems to underline.

Overall, thoroughly enjoyable and I think the new timeslot stands to make it a winner once more.

(Oh, and I look forward to what I hope will be a return of the end-of-season microbots free-for-all too!)

Comment

Robot Wars

The battles are far, far too short.

Comment

Robot Wars

evilC wrote: It didn't seem to arrive with much fanfare, though, did it?
                              The Beeb have been punting it for about a month.

Comment

Robot Wars

Is Jonathan Pearce still doing the commentary?

Comment

Robot Wars

ooh aah wrote: Is Jonathan Pearce still doing the commentary?
                                  At top screech volume too.

Watched it last night but couldn't shake the thought of the Death by Chocolate machine from Phoenix Nights.

Comment

Robot Wars

Is Hypnodisc still going?

Comment

Robot Wars

sw2bureau wrote: The battles are far, far too short.
                                      3 minutes max - which by my calculations makes it a maximum possible 27 minutes of fighting in an hour long show.

Problem is that these things can seriously destroy each other. So like boxing, it could go the whole way, or one lucky hit and it is over.

In the final

[spoiler]Behemoth got pretty much disabled in one hit, and suicided into the pit to end it. I suspect gentlemens rules prevent completely trashing your opponent and several months/thousand quids worth of work.[/spoiler]

Comment

Robot Wars

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                                        Originally posted by evilC
                                        It didn't seem to arrive with much fanfare, though, did it?
                                        The Beeb have been punting it for about a month.
                                        Ah. This is what you get with watching almost nothing but the Tour de France for the last three weeks!

Comment

Robot Wars

Anyone watch it this week?
                                          I'm loving it so far but think that's more because I was a big fan the first time around.

Comment

Robot Wars

Caught up with this week's one last night on iPlayer. It was a weak 'episode', but I still like the format.

The only thing I like less than the original run is that they seem to spend more time cutting away to views of the crowd and the 'control booths' than they used to, which means they seem to be missing the action sometimes.

Comment

Robot Wars

My guess is that as it is prerecorded they are not likely to cut some of the action just to show an image of a gurning geek waggling a giant foam finger.

The bloke with the fox robot in the latest round was a complete dick. All mouth and no trousers, as the phrase goes.

Comment

Robot Wars

Yep. Had to pluck up a bit of courage before watching the first one but it was as good as hoped for.

The head to head stage has its advantages and disadvantages. The good thing is that it is a proper test of resilience. Three battles with nowhere to hide, and if you take a pounding in one it makes it harder to recover. The downside is it can then be in your interest to game things a bit. For example, you could even throw yourself in the pit in game 2 to avoid damage against a certain winner, so that you have a better chance in your final game. But I don't think anyone has done this sort of thing - in fact in the first episode ("Heat 1") Carbide ripped Nuts apart in H2H game 2, even though it would have been to their advantage to leave Nuts in better shape to face Terrorhurtz in game 3. Remarkably, though, the bashed up Nuts managed to steer clear of trouble and get it to a judge's decision.

Heat 1 - I'm assuming I can post about this without spoilers now - coped well with the early loss of Razer. It helped that it had three former legends in that heat with the return of Terrorhurtz and Behemoth as well, plus some interesting new ones.

Carbide's win there was good to see as well, as I like the rotating weapons with their ripping effect. They do seem to suffer from malfunctions, though, and sometimes have trouble getting up to speed. And often the robot body itself is vulnerable. Maybe Carbide will buck that trend.

As for Heat 2
                                                [spoiler]a remarkable comeback from Shockwave. Just goes to show what the effects of reliability and driving skills can be, given that when they fought Thor in the head to heads, their whole scoop was smashed off and the bar bent in. I was pleased with them winning the final as the bloke behind Thor seemed a bit cocky, even though his robot was basically a rip-off of Terrorhurtz. I though that M.R. Speed Squared was an interesting take on the rotating weapon, by making it go all the way around the outside of the robot, but again it was vulnerable to piercing attacks and didn't always get the disc up to speed. Similarly for the robot with pincers - its problem seemed to be that although it could grab opponents well enough, it didn't have the grip and torque to get them into the pit. Perhaps the idea was to use the pincers to inflict damage but I think it would work better as a pit-dropper.[/spoiler]

Comment

Robot Wars

Spoilers for last night.

[spoiler]I thought Thor was unlucky, Shockwave had one tactic which was ram the opponent into something solid to shake something loose, and it just happened to work that one time. I don't think the Thor bloke was especially cocky, particularly as he seemed to have a robot that was agile and he could drive the thing properly.

Speed Squared was a bad design, but given the short time they had to build and test, the flaws probably weren't going to show up in tests.
                                                  [/spoiler]

Comment

Working...
                                                  X