X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Milo whatsisname (no longer) on Twitter

Who is this man?

Should I have heard of him previously?

Why has he been abusing an actor in Ghostbusters?

(What was it he actually said?)

And why are people leaping to his defence citing "free speech" if what he's been doing is issuing abusive threats?

Apparently there is a group of video game players who are convinced that "femimazis" are out to destroy video games. They are also very upset that there are now women Ghostbusters, so they wrote to the new Ghostbusters stars and told wished them all sorts of horrid things.

It's completely mad.

Comment

One of the Gamergate ringleaders. Rampant misogynist and general arsehole.

Comment

He's a moronic right-wing contrarian, an unnecessary 21st Century reboot of Taki Theodoracopulos. A better moisturised James Delingpole (who is a fellow intern at Breitbart.com).

I have seen him on Newsnight before, which only reduces its credibility rather than increasing his.

The Ghostbusters stuff seems to be the usual rich white guy whining about PC gone mad that swiftly tips over into outright racism and sexism. Likewise the free speech cobblers.

Or he's a sincere guardian of the original Ghostbusters flame. You decide.

Comment

antoine polus wrote: Apparently there is a group of video game players who are convinced that "femimazis" are out to destroy video games. They are also very upset that there are now women Ghostbusters, so they wrote to the new Ghostbusters stars and told wished them all sorts of horrid things.

It's completely mad.
          I never saw what started "Gamergate" either - it just suddenly appeared to be a "thing".

I take it from this (and the other replies) this is all bound in.

Associate of Delingpole, you say?

Light begins to filter in.

Comment

I've no idea who he is but my best guess is that he lives in the attic room above his mum's house and spends a large proportion of his day masturbating.

Comment

The New Ghostbusters is a movie with Many flaws, (mostly that it was remade at all) but having female ghostbusters is about the most interesting and meaningful idea they had for the remake. (and that didn't work very well either)

I must admit that I didn't like the character played by Leslie Jones, not because she was a woman, or because she was black, but because she was very poorly drawn, and had an unfortunate tendency to say things like "AWWW Helll Yeah!"

In the Movie they make a joke about never reading internet comments, which leads to me suspect that part of the plan for this movie was to generate a lot of heat amongst the trolls, which strikes me as rather cynical.

However what all these lads kind of lost sight of somewhere along the way was that Ghostbusters was a children's movie, made 32 years ago. It's good in parts, and weak in many others. It's weird if you're getting angry about it being remade, for any reason other than every movie now is a remake. (and even then, it's important to remember a certain sense of proportion)

If you have been raised to an incandescent fury because the main roles were given to females, well I'm not sure that the main problem lies with the movie or the movie makers.

Comment

It's totally not a kid's movie though. It's certainly remembered that way by people who haven't seen it since the 80s. But most of the jokes would go over kids' heads, it has sexy Sigourney, it has Bill Murray being a lech, and most pertinently it has Dan Aykroyd getting a blowjob from a ghost.

Comment

Yes, it's true, these new Ghostbusters have no dicks.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: It's totally not a kid's movie though. It's certainly remembered that way by people who haven't seen it since the 80s. But most of the jokes would go over kids' heads, it has sexy Sigourney, it has Bill Murray being a lech, and most pertinently it has Dan Aykroyd getting a blowjob from a ghost.
                    that's true enough, but then it's a slightly adultified kids movie, Like Shrek I suppose. Certainly the cartoon series that I used to avidly watch as a child would add weight to that suggestion.

There's very little of that in this movie though. It's just mostly lame. The best scene in the whole movie is the opening scene and the main characters aren't in it. There's a very funny line about a fence, that lead me to believe that this was going to be a substantially better movie than unfolded.

But Mostly I just don't like Melissa McCarthy as a comic actress. Not because she has XX chromosomes, but because she's basically a farting Jack Black. I just don't see the point.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                      But Mostly I just don't like Melissa McCarthy as a comic actress. Not because she was XY chromosomes, but because she's basically a farting Jack Black. I just don't see the point.
                      It's not just me then. I'm in full agreement, I just don't understand the appeal of McCarthy, I don't find her remotely funny.
                      I agree with the previous comments, if the film is shit, then so be it. watch it and make a judgement, but don't judge it before even seeing it and write it off because the stars are women, that's pathetic.
                      The only films that should be judged before watching them are ones with Vince Vaughn in them. Even the best script couldn't polish a turd of that size and stench.

Comment

antoine polus wrote: Yes, it's true, these new Ghostbusters have no dicks.
                        Applause!

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: It's totally not a kid's movie though. It's certainly remembered that way by people who haven't seen it since the 80s. But most of the jokes would go over kids' heads, it has sexy Sigourney, it has Bill Murray being a lech, and most pertinently it has Dan Aykroyd getting a blowjob from a ghost.
                          Plus a lot more swearing than I recalled when I watched it recently. And everyone smoking, acceptable in the 80s, but now...

My daughter loves the theme tune but I've had to break it to her that she'll need to be a lot older before she can see it. A film for five year old it is not.

Edit: Also, Walter Peck as the bad guy. Not what you'd see today.

Comment

Specifically, Walter Peck as a representative of the EPA.

Comment

Eggchaser wrote: My daughter loves the theme tune but I've had to break it to her that she'll need to be a lot older before she can see it. A film for five year old it is not.
                              Er, yes. We bought it for $5 at Walmart and showed it at a Halloween party a couple of years ago. There were some...moments.

Also: John Hughes films. He got away with a lot of stuff in the '80s that he wouldn't get away with now.

Comment

The dreamboat guy letting Anthony Michael Hall take his passed out girlfriend home with basically a wink and a nod in Sixteen Candles is pretty gross.

Anyways, on Milo...he's very big on Twitter. Or at least he was. It was hilarious when he was suspended for a while and they removed his verified blue check because he had a huge temper tantrum and whined about it constantly. Him being permanently banned is even funnier. I hope he tries coming back under different accounts and getting banned from those as well, as Charles Johnson did.

His whole shtick is being a misogynist who also happens to be gay. He seems to think that if people on the left criticize him for being an absolute shithead towards women, it's a powerful retort to say "oh, but I'm gay...so who's being intolerant now, huh?" He's an opportunist who prior to Gamergate always made fun of video games and people who play them, but he saw an opportunity to attract a big group of new followers.

He's part of the "alt-right"...young people that have a more trollish attitude and who don't care about Hayek or other conservative icons. They've brought "cuckhold" (most often, "cuck" or "cuckservative") into popular usage.

He also looks like a complete idiot:

Sean T. Collins tweeted: "Rest in peace to Milo Yiannopoulos, Roy Batty's failson. All his tweets will be lost in time, like tears in rain"

Comment

I quite enjoyed the new Ghostbusters film.

But then I'm the minority of one who thnks Melissa McCarthy can be quite funny. (Often she isn't of course, but then that's true of many comic actors)

Kristen Wiig is great and I quite liked Leslie Jones and Cath McKinnon as well.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                                    Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
                                    But Mostly I just don't like Melissa McCarthy as a comic actress. Not because she was XY chromosomes, but because she's basically a farting Jack Black. I just don't see the point.
                                    It's not just me then. I'm in full agreement, I just don't understand the appeal of McCarthy, I don't find her remotely funny.
                                    I agree with the previous comments, if the film is shit, then so be it. watch it and make a judgement, but don't judge it before even seeing it and write it off because the stars are women, that's pathetic.
                                    The only films that should be judged before watching them are ones with Vince Vaughn in them. Even the best script couldn't polish a turd of that size and stench.
                                    He was excellent in Swingers though.

Comment

Carnivorous Vulgaris wrote: What happens when they poison public discourse for so long and get away with it?
                                      I think you overestimate their influence.

Comment

WOM wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Carnivorous Vulgaris
                                        What happens when they poison public discourse for so long and get away with it?
                                        I think you overestimate their influence.
                                        No, I think you're wrong.

(See also the "Brexit-related racist incidents" thread. It gives credence to people who express these opinions )

Comment

Like CV, I'd never heard of this guy before this thread. Their 'influence' is small and we tend to hear about them just as they flame out.

Comment

The state of this fucker. He looks like the missing sixth character from The Breakfast Club.

Comment

Like CV, I'd never heard of this guy before this thread. Their 'influence' is small and we tend to hear about them just as they flame out.
                                              Depends on how you define it really. He and his fellow travellers have more or less turned the games and entertainment media industry upside down over the last couple of years, and have waged horrendous campaigns of harrassment, doxxing and death threats against hundreds if not thousands of people (obviously, mostly women, but really anyone who they perceive to have slighted them or threatened white male privilege). Sure, they're not going to be winning any elections (at least, not as GG) any time soon, but they have more than enough influence to do enormous harm.

Comment

I guess I agree with you and disagree at the same time. On one hand, 13 Saudis have irrevocably influence the US. On the other hand, my daughter always references 'famous' Youtubers who probably couldn't influence tonight's dinner menu.

I don't doubt this twat and his ilk have caused great harm in a small circle, but their outside influence is likely very small. I'm skeptical that they're affecting any national dialogue on women's rights.

Comment

i recently watched both ghostbusters movies, and as GY suggests, the biggest difference between the 2016 and 1984 versions is that the 2016 one is completely sexless.

in the first one, bill murray's very first scene establishes him as a lying, manipulative sleazebag whose main interest in life is chasing women (to the extent that we're almost surprised by his chivalry when he refrains from having sex with the zuul-possessed sigourney weaver). and despite his deceitful and predatory nature he's a sympathetic character, which makes him interesting.

in the new one, the only character who has any kind of romantic relationship is the ghost, slimer, for whom they invent a female companion. yes, kristen wiig gets ostentatiously hot-under-the-collar when chris hemsworth arrives, but it's all a bit "carry on", an ironic send-up of female desire. nothing is really going on.

it's like an actual sexual relationship between two human characters would have been too much of a hot-button issue, so they just steered around it, which contributes to the overall sense of dullness.

anyway, milo yiannopolous is a malignancy. to accuse him of poisoning the well of public discourse would be to exaggerate his importance, but he is definitely pissing in it.

he is basically somebody who makes a living out of being a cunt, like kelvin mackenzie, or a young boris johnson.

this with leslie jones is a good example of what he's about:

as someone tweeted to me earlier, "Twitter dissolves distance, removing the risk to Milo in the equation "chat shit get banged"."

Comment

Working...
                                                  X