No announcement yet.

Stranger Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that Lucas' sister and the person mentioned in SP's spoiler will get more screentime.

By the way, I was thinking that I had never seen such an allegorical series on TV. Certainly, there were allusions to child abuse, AIDS, mental health and obviously implicit and explicit nods to the Cold War, I though.

Comment

Just finished Season 2 this afternoon. Damn, but I'm just in love with the whole thing, nostalgia and schmaltz and all. Dustin was gold this season, as was Elle of course. I just really liked everyone, except Trans Am man, of course, but that was clearly by design. But really, really good design.

Stumpy's 4th spoiler point was the real pain-point for me. Just blech. Painfully cliche and not of-the-piece.

Overall, dying for the next series already. Roll on 1984...

Comment

Just finished it (yeah? so I have lifestyle issues! Fuck you maaan)

Loved it. I used to have hair like Steve. my name is Steve. I still have sufficient to have that hairstyle. Maybe I should get back in touch with my inner Les McKeown

Comment

Season 3's arriving on July 4. Hope they've kept the standard up.

Comment

I'm very excited for this. Got July 5th off as it's the cub's sports day, so I'll plough through it that afternoon I guess.

Comment

Yup. Totally looking forward to this.

Comment

I can't wait!

Comment

Made it until half way through ep 5. But of a slow start to this season, but it's very funny so far.

Comment

Binging it today.

No TV show or film, including ones made in the 80s, looks more like my childhood/adolescence than this one.

Comment

Just finished. No spoilers of course, but wowsers, they've kept the quality up.
                      I mean, it's far dafter and more unbelievable than seasons 1 or 2, but it's excellent fun all the way through. The silliness is compensated with warmth and humour and gore which balances it nicely.
                      Obviously it's nothing like my childhood. But it's like how it looked in US films when I was a kid and which we were all desperate to live, so it's like fulfilling a nostalgic dream.
                      Lovely stuff.

Comment

Although maybe that's just me. I read Less Than Zero (and later American Psycho) and fervently wished I was that rich, disaffected and nihilistic, because it seemed so fucking cool.

Comment

Indeed.
                          That image of the 80s means nothing to me, personally, though. I don’t known anyone like that. I’ve only seen cocaine on TV and movies.

ST gets it right in that most houses still had a lot of stuff from the 50s and 60s and most people, especially kids, were not fashionable. Those shorts that Will wears, hiked up high, throughout most of season 3 brought back memories.

The centrality of the indoor mall to teenage life in the 80s is the one bit I don’t really relate to personally. Where I lived/live, the downtown was/is still very strong and in the 80s it had cinemas, fast food, arcades etc, so that’s where we wanted to be. But in a lot of places, especially outer suburbs of major cities, malls or contrived “town centers,” accessible only by car, drive downtown shops out of business and were popular places for kids to just hang out.

I don’t know if kids still do that. They can just talk to each other online. They don’t need to get a ride somewhere just so they can be with each other away from their parents.

The pool was an important hang out too. That might still be true. But fewer people had air conditioning back then so it was even more important.
                          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 05-07-2019, 01:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                            I don’t know if kids still do that. They can just talk to each other online. They don’t need to get a ride somewhere just so they can be with each other away from their parents.
                            My understanding is pretty much all the indoor malls are dying.

Comment

Right. But I don't know if kids even work so hard to find "third spaces" (not home, not school) to hang out. (there's a good discussion of this on The Ringer's The Watch podcast from last week that previews the new ST season).

Yeah, the malls are dying as are, I suspect, all of those "lifestyle centers" that are just malls turned inside out. They aren't entirely dead yet, but they'll have to change a lot to survive.

https://www.businessinsider.com/what...d-malls-2017-5

I'm not comfortable with Amazon's enormous power, of course, but maybe the retail apocalypse will help us realize that if want public spaces to be with each other, than we're going to have to invest in them as public spaces, rather than expecting the retail sector to create them. The places that get that, and can afford to invest in parks, community centers, arts spaces, etc, will be nice places to live. The ones that don't/can't will be shitty. Many of them already are.

if we can survive climate change somehow, maybe we can build a country that isn't designed entirely around commerce and parking. Maybe self-driving cars would help, but then so would more public transit and cities designed to around public transit, and we collectively decided against that, so it's hard to be optimistic.
                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 05-07-2019, 17:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                I used to have hair like Steve. my name is Steve. I still have sufficient to have that hairstyle. Maybe I should get back in touch with my inner Les McKeown
                                As an older Steve who also has hair: Les McKeown was history (or in jail) before you'd even STARTED school. So, as your German says, leave the church in the village (and your hair as it is).

Comment

No, sir- Les McKeown is less than 10 years older than me, I believe

just checked- born 1955 to my ‘63

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                    No, sir- Les McKeown is less than 10 years older than me, I believe

just checked- born 1955 to my ‘63
                                    Fucking hell, sorry. I thought you were a 1970s boy.

​​​​Shang-a-lang, and that, you crusty cunt.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                      Although maybe that's just me. I read Less Than Zero (and later American Psycho) and fervently wished I was that rich, disaffected and nihilistic, because it seemed so fucking cool.
                                      I bought Less Than Zero when it came out (Picador paperback) and had pretty much the same reaction. The book and BEE were covered in NME much the same way a new music act might be. A slight chink in the coolness was that all the characters seemed to be into 2 Tone and Elvis Costello which, while not naff, weren't exactly the new directions in youth music by 1985/6.

When Imperial Bedrooms came out, it didn't really recapture the moment.

Comment

So, this season was kinda bad. Stranger Things was always a bit less than the sum of its admittedly fun parts, but it really showed it this season. Strip away the 80s nostalgia and you have a lazily scripted 7 hour Goonies movie.

Comment

I couldn’t agree less.

Comment

Heaven knows how they'll stretch out series 4. This felt like a five or six parter dragged out to eight with needless padding.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                              Heaven knows how they'll stretch out series 4. This felt like a five or six parter dragged out to eight with needless padding.
                                              It was an episode shorter than last season.

Comment

Well, that was a good decision. I enjoyed most of it. My wife is the true fan and even she was getting a little stretched over the last two episodes as they seemed to rehash the same scenes. That said it's a fine series.

Comment

I thought it was much sillier but also much funnier than season 2. The suspension of belief was harder just because the scale has increased, but the charm of it covers many that.
                                                  The only bit I didn't like was the stupid song, but that aside I was thoroughly satisfied

Comment

I actually really enjoyed the song, but maybe because The Neverending Story is one of the few 80s things I actually do have nostalgia for.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X