"Excuse me while I..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Excuse me while I..."

Given that both sound pretty much identical, I guess that's less a mishearing so much as it's a mis-nuancing?

My sister used to think that Ray Stevens (and presumably the multitude of others who covered the song) was singing 'I'm misty through my chin, love...' in his chartbusting 1975 version of Misty.

He wasn't, of course. That would have been quite ridiculous.

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

My Mum loved Misty, so me and big bruv got them to play it over the tannoy at Butlin's Filey that year for her.

He used to sing (deliberately, threatening me, not as a mishearing):

Oh Misty, you're gettin' a hidin'

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

Nurse Duckett wrote:
        Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog
        Until a few weeks ago, I thought the Beach Boys sang 'if everybody had a notion' on Surfin' USA.
        Blimey, so did I until I read this. Thanks!
        And me.

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

Crystal Staples wrote: Bruce Springsteen - Darlington County
          I heard: We drove 800 miles, will I see her cunt?
          But it's: We drove 800 miles without seeing a cop
          Thank you - genuine laugh out loud moment.

Bo Kirkland And Ruth Davis - Youre Gonna Get an Axe To Me

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

Spandau Ballet - True

"I want the truth to descend"

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

There was actually an 'unofficial' (i.e. cheap and uncommissioned) Joy Division lyric book I saw that had the lyrics from 'Ice Age' as:

"See my head across the case
              Buried in the sand"

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

Someone on here thought that the lyrics to that tune were: 'keep on doing whatcha doing, you're gonna get leprosy!', which I found rather amusing.

An ex of mine thought that the line from the Talking Heads' And She Was were:

'And she was lying in the grass
                And she could see an earmuff factory'

She probably wasn't alone in this.

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
                  Pleasures searching
                  Soda's burping
                  Pleasures remain
                  Soldiers burping

I'll have you know.

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

From today's earworm, fittingly enough.

Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out

New day, steppin' out.....
                    Even now I can't actually make myself sing "You, babe". It just doesn't work.

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

Haddock wrote: The Buzzcocks: For the longest time I thought it was We're all asthmatics despite the title having the correct words. Am still at a loss to explain it. Denial?
                      HAHAHA

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

Which song is that? Orgasm Addict?

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

An old friend was convinced that Julian Cope was singing 'Wash my cotton socks I'm in the nude'.

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote: An old friend was convinced that Julian Cope was singing 'Wash my cotton socks I'm in the nude'.
                            I always heard it as 'where's my cotton socks...'
                            And I also thought it was 'notion' in 'Surfing USA.'

The Guardian has covered a lot of the fallout over the latest Ghostbusters film. One of the comments had a person stating that a childhood friend thought that Ray Parker Jr was singing 'Those Bastards.'
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9We2XsVZfc

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

Jah Womble wrote: Which song is that? Orgasm Addict?
                              Yes

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

Love-ly tender,
                                lovely stew.

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

Leon Tricker wrote: Spandau Ballet - True
                                  "I want the truth to descend"
                                  I just saw this and my mouth fell open a little bit. So that's not the lyric, then?

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

I always thought it was 'I want the truth to be said', but I'm not sure that's right, either.

Comment

"Excuse me while I..."

Yeah, it might be True, but that doesn't make it right.

Going back to memories of Scout camp aged about 12, sitting around the fire singing along to Bohemian Rhapsody on someone's Walkman, I still vividly recall how no-one could work out the bit about Beelzebub – perhaps unsurprisingly. I think our best guess was "The earl's a poof, has the devil got a sack for me?".

Comment

I must have heard Turning Japanese over a hundred times but upon hearing it today (thanks to 6 Music's oldies policy, but I won't start on that again here) only just realised it's :

No fun, no sin, no you, no wonder it's dark

Not

No fun, no sin, no you-know-what when it's dark

Comment

I thought it was “no fun, no sim, no unicorns in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Duckett View Post
                                            Blimey, so did I until I read this. Thanks!
                                            “An Ocean” sounds indistinguishable from “A Notion” in American English, so in a sense, you’re never wrong.

Comment

I thought for ages that Shaft was the cat who won't come out when there's danger all about, which seemed sensible.

Comment

And Superfly was a cartoon hero, like Danger Mouse.

"No fun, no sin, no you" - maybe that's where Morrissey got the "no, no, no" idiot lyric for his last single?

Comment

Earlier I was listening to The Shirelles’ Mama Said (There’d Be Days Like This) and all of a sudden I wasn’t hearing “mama said” any more and could no longer hear it otherwise:

Marmoset there'll be days like this,
                                                  There'll be days like this my Marmoset

Comment

Originally posted by evilC View Post
                                                    "Excuse me while I..."

There was actually an 'unofficial' (i.e. cheap and uncommissioned) Joy Division lyric book I saw that had the lyrics from 'Ice Age' as:

"See my head across the case
                                                    Buried in the sand"
                                                    I discovered just a few months back that the lyric within JD’s New Dawn Fades is:

We’ll share a drink and step outside…

and not:

We’ll share a dream, can’t step outside…

as I’d thought for more than four decades, it having been a favourite track since my teens. Have to say that ‘my’ version still seems a lot more ‘Joy Division’ to me than the correct lyric.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X