Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snails no Other Way - Matchday Going 16/07/16

Whittlesea Rangers v Peterborough United XI

Followed by the world snail racing championships somewhere near Kings Lynn.

I shall be attending the first Série A game to be held in the city of Rio de Janeiro this year. With the Maracanã and Olympic athletics stadium unavailable, Botafogo and Flamengo have been staging their games out of the city. Flamengo have been performing places like Brasília and Natal to pretty good crowds. Botafogo have used small stadiums in Rio State or Minas Gerais with embarrassingly low, sometimes three figure, attendances.

So Botafogo have refurbished the old Estádio Luso Brasileiro, way up in Zona Norte, complete with temporary scaffolding stands and renamed it the Arena Botafogo.

It promises to be utter chaos as Flamengo, whose fans haven't seen them play in Rio for five months, have had their ticket allocation severely restricted. The transport links are awful and the press have had to issue instructions advising people how to get there. I'm reckoning on at least two, possibly three, hours each way.

I'm pretty sure BB and F will have a much better time than me. And the football will probably be more enjoyable as well.

Comment

Zilina vs Dunajska Streda on Sunday. Opening w/e of the Slovak league.

Comment

Was vaguely planning on FSV Frankfurt v Darmstadt in Rüsselsheim (no idea why they're playing there - Frankfurt non-league ground), but fell asleep listening to Richie Havens after staying up too late last night watching Turkish coup coverage. It's amazing the repercussions that international events can have on pre-season friendly attendance.

Comment

Betfred Cup Group F. Annan Athletic 1-2 Stranraer.
          I didn't want to go to a friendly, so I did a 500 mile round trip for this instead. 2nd half was pretty good.

Comment

Botafogo 3 Flamengo 3
            Attendance 11,692

Well, I was wrong about the entertainment value if not the quality of the football, as Botafogo staged a stunning comeback from 3-1 down and scored an excellent late equaliser. The match was watched by Tite who, bizarrely, was driven along the touch line to his seat in a black limousine which carried him out again in the second half as he showed poor judgement by deciding to leave with the score at 3-1. I can't think which of the players out there he could have been watching.

No major incidents at the ground but earlier a Botafogo fan died after a pre-arranged fight between organizadas

Comment

Zilina 2 Dunajska Streda 2. A comeback from two goals down here as well. Zilina went 2-0 up in the 77th minute and it looked all over. Visiting centre-back Lubomir Michalik (ex Bolton, Leeds, Carlisle, Pompey) pulled one back in the 90th min, then played as a striker in injury time, helping create the pressure that led to the equaliser.

The usual nonsense from both sets of ultras. Dunajska Streda are from Hungarian-speaking southern Slovakia and Zilina is noted for being a stronghold for Slovak nationalists. Cue chants suggesting the Hungarians stay south of the Danube from the home lot, songs about a greater Hungary from the visitors.

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote: Whittlesea Rangers v Peterborough United XI

No trip report this week?

Comment

Gambrinus wrote:
                  Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE!
                  Whittlesea Rangers v Peterborough United XI

No trip report this week?
                  I imagine there'll be a report after the conclusion of the snail racing.

Comment

Working...
                  X