Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Individuals named for bands (and vice versa)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jah Womble wrote: I suspect you'll be too young, but I'll take a guess at Mungo Jerry. My sister's old boyfriend was always going on about how he'd like to 'punch Mungo Jerry in the face'. I hadn't the heart, etc.

That said, I met Ray Dorset - for it was he - a while after his band's success, and have to say that I rather concurred with my sister's ex.
    Haha, no it was a band who were reasonably big at the time (mid-late 90s), but not big enough at least in our secondary school circles to be really obviously a band and not a solo artist (it wasn't, say, Travis). I remained largely unaware of Mungo Jerry until a good while afterwards. Ineed, I'm only hazily aware of them now; can't name anything by them except 'In The Summertime'.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: He had a German wife and was living in Bielefeld of all places.
      Or so he claimed...

Comment

Ah, okay - I was only out by about 25 years, then...

Had you said the 1980s, I'd have plumped for someone like Matt Bianco, who quite a lot of people thought was said band's (male) singer.

1990s, eh? I don't know, Gene perhaps.

Comment

Ineed, I'm only hazily aware of them now; can't name anything by them except 'In The Summertime'.

I sincerely doubt anyone else can.

Comment

Baby Jump!

Comment

Alright Alright Alright, Lady Rose, Long Legged Woman Dressed in Black, etc. They had a fair few hits.

Comment

Probably not...

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Alright Alright Alright, Lady Rose, Long Legged Woman Dressed in Black, etc. They had a fair few hits.
                  Be honest, was that without looking them up?

Comment

MsD wrote: Baby Jump!
                    That one I remember too, only because it was the follow-up to In the Summertime.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                      Originally posted by Jah Womble
                      Alright Alright Alright, Lady Rose, Long Legged Woman Dressed in Black, etc. They had a fair few hits.
                      Be honest, was that without looking them up?
                      This is the Womble to whom you speak!

You must surely remember Alright, Alright, Alright though? Huge hit that was never off the radio during the summer of '73...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOXaq68PihI

Comment

Ah, that explains it. I wasn't in the UK in '73. I left in the Spring of '72. I missed the later glory that was Mungo Jerry.

Comment

I've just realised that Baby Jump sounds very much like Vince Taylor's Brand New Cadillac, which is a great favourite of mine.

Baby Jump has appallingly rapey lyrics.

Comment

Hootie and the Blowfish.

Apparently named for two guys the band founders knew in college who were known as Hootie and, er, Blowfish. The band were at a party and someone said 'Oh, look, there's Hootie and the Blowfish' and it was a lightbulb moment.

---

Was that 90s Indie band mentioned upthread called Mansun by any chance?

Comment

MsD wrote: Baby Jump has appallingly rapey lyrics.
                              Not unlike In The Summertime:

If her daddy's rich take her out for a meal,
                              If her daddy's poor you can do what you feel.

Comment

A fair few of Dorset's songs contained low-rent, sexist lyrics. (Baby Jump was dreadful and would surely never have bothered the charts - let alone make #1 - had it not been for In the Summertime.)

He was a guest on NMTB back in the day and, as I recall, spent most of the time leching after the girls in the production office. So I guess it wasn't an act.

Dorset's other chart-topper was Kelly Marie's It Feels Like I'm in Love (1980). That one wasn't especially 'rapey'.

Comment

Baby Jump:

If I see her tonight, you can betchalife I'll attack.

The 70s, eh.

It seems the similarity to BNC was noted, although it's not on the Wikipedia page. I wonder if people got paid.

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote: Hootie and the Blowfish.

Apparently named for two guys the band founders knew in college who were known as Hootie and, er, Blowfish. The band were at a party and someone said 'Oh, look, there's Hootie and the Blowfish' and it was a lightbulb moment.
                                    That's a gripping tale compared to Geggy Tah. Two guys named Greg and Tom whose baby sister pronounced their names....wait for it...Geggy and Tah. Had one college-chart song called Whoever You Are.

Comment

...or indeed the tale behind the name of Biffy Clyro. (One of the band's members had a Cliff Richard ball-point pen, if you're asking.)

Comment

And indeed I was.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: Dorset's other chart-topper was Kelly Marie's It Feels Like I'm in Love (1980). That one wasn't especially 'rapey'.
                                          Originally written for Elvis who had his own... how can I put it, peccadilloes?

Comment

Ooh, those would be lovely in this weather.

Comment

Plastic Bertrand was the group, wasn't it? Not the individual who sang Ça Plane Pour Moi. Who, it turns out, didn't sing on the record anyway.
                                              ---------------

Edit: The first half of that's wrong according to Wikipedia. But Plastic Bertrand didn't sing on Plastic Bertrand records.

Comment

MsD wrote: Ooh, those would be lovely in this weather.
                                                Do you eat 'em or wear 'em?

Comment

I'm thinking of pedalos.

Comment

Ah, those horribly inefficient little pedal boats? We call them Pelicans here. That's who makes about 95% of them.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X