Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Individuals named for bands (and vice versa)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adam Ant. Ants came and went. Now he's touring as Adam Ant again and the band are informally calling themselves Ants.

Comment

Did this thread take a left turn? I thought it was bands that were actually just the name of their singer, or singers who just appropriated the name of their band.

Tangentially, though, ABC is just Martin Fry and friends. The Fall is Mark E Smith, whoever he's currently married to, and a revolving cast. And AC/DC is apparently now Angus Young and Friends.

Comment

James

Comment

Jesus Jones

Comment

At least Van Halen had two of them.

EDIT: And have already been mentioned.

Comment

Trois Fois Un Rouge wrote:
              Originally posted by Benjm
              Mick Hucknall used to insist that Simply Red was a band, not just him, but I'd defy anyone to name another member.
              Can anyone name a member of Scritti Politti that's not Green?
              The upside of that is anyone could go into a bar and say you were the drummer, etc, for Simply Red and tell interesting anecdotes about the 80s and nobody would have reason not to believe you.

Comment

Trois Fois Un Rouge wrote:
                Originally posted by Benjm
                Mick Hucknall used to insist that Simply Red was a band, not just him, but I'd defy anyone to name another member.
                Can anyone name a member of Scritti Politti that's not Green?
                Rhodri Marsden, of Twitter fame, is the keyboard player.

Back in the day you also had David Gamson and Fred Maher, who drummed for Lou Reed.

Comment

Benjm wrote: Mick Hucknall used to insist that Simply Red was a band, not just him, but I'd defy anyone to name another member.
                  Didn't he once instruct a camera crew on a programme like The Tube or somesuch not to spend too much time lingering on the bassist, as he was sacking him the next day?

Comment

Trois Fois Un Rouge wrote: Having just seen Rhona Cameron's phenomenal fuck-up on Pointless, thinking that T'Pau was a solo act (although to be fair, can you name any of the other members?) it got me thinking about just how often this occurs.
                    I remember from an old TOTP2 that featured China In Your Hand that the drummer was called Tim Burgess. The caption went along the lines of 'No, not that one'.

I'm fascinated by Shrewsbury band T'Pau's story, in a way, because they got their big breakthrough at around the same kind of time that I started going to the town regularly after my uncle signed for Salop.

Comment

Tubeway Army

Comment

T'Pau is also one of the few bands named after a Star Trek character.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Tubeway Army
                          How so? AFAIK it was Numan's and Gardiner's band.

Comment

More of a solo artist, but there is Flula Borg.

Comment

WOM wrote: Did this thread take a left turn? I thought it was bands that were actually just the name of their singer, or singers who just appropriated the name of their band.
                              No, it's more that you could confuse the name of the band for a person whether there is someone with that name in the group or not, my OP mentioned Danny Wilson as I think that's the best example. Three members, none of them called Danny and/or Wilson.

Or indeed, confuse an individual for a band due to having a name that normally wouldn't be given to a person, not even as a nickname.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                More of a solo artist, but there is Flula Borg.
                                There's also Spock's Beard.

They're shit, I feel able to declare without ever having heard them play a note.

Comment

This Bob Tilton record was a favourite of my teenage years.

At the same time I was in a hardcore band named for an RE teacher at our high school.

Comment

Jamiroquai are (yes, apparently still going) a band, but most people would, if shown a photo of Jay Kay, say he was Jamiroquai (among other reactions, no doubt). And they'd be right.

There's definitely scope for a thread along the lines of "Can you name any other member of [BAND] other than [notable member].

Comment

Foetus is just Jim Thirlwell.

Comment

(Almost a week) late to thread...

Bit confused by this thread, but Argent, mentioned upthread, had several consistent members other than Rod for a goodly while: singer, one of the main songwriters and the band's focal point back in the day was, of course, Russ Ballard.

Sparklehorse was effectively just the late, great Mark Linkous until the It's a Wonderful Life album, for which he constructed a huge touring group to support its release.

Have/has Bright Eyes been mentioned? They/he have/has now.

Giggler wrote:
                                        I'm fascinated by Shrewsbury band T'Pau's story, in a way, because they got their big breakthrough at around the same kind of time that I started going to the town regularly after my uncle signed for Salop.
                                        Likely to be considerably more interesting than anything released by that awful band. (That said, I cannot believe anybody - even Rhona Cameron - could ever have thought that T'Pau was a solo act.)

Comment

Fad Gadget was just Frank Tovey

Comment

...and The Freshies were effectively just Chris 'Frank Sidebottom' Sievey. He did, however, employ one or two other musical luminaries, such as Magazine's Martin Jackson and Billy Duffy of The Cult. (Little-known fact: a fourteen-year-old Johnny Marr was turned down by Sievey for being 'too young'.)

Comment

I went to see Jim Jones and the Righteous Mind yesterday, having been to the "farewell" gig for the Jim Jones Revue a year or two ago, and the band looked much the same to me.

JJ is a spark by day, and wired in one friend's cooker and fixed another's lights.

Comment

jwdd27 wrote: Jamiroquai are (yes, apparently still going) a band, but most people would, if shown a photo of Jay Kay, say he was Jamiroquai (among other reactions, no doubt). And they'd be right.

There's definitely scope for a thread along the lines of "Can you name any other member of [BAND] other than [notable member].
                                                When 'they' were first signed by Sony, Jay Kay was signed as a solo artist. The other band members are employed by him. So definitely a band on the one hand, but legally speaking not (at least with that name) for a very long time.

Pink Floyd were named after a couple of blues musicians, and record execs were apparently frequently under the impression that they were a he, until they met them. One of the songs on Wish You Were Here contains the line 'and by the way, which one's Pink?'

When I was at secondary school there was a pop group or rock band or something who I and several friends were convinced were a solo artist until we were corrected by a kid in the year above, but I can't for the life of me think who it was now.

Comment

I suspect you'll be too young, but I'll take a guess at Mungo Jerry. My sister's old boyfriend was always going on about how he'd like to 'punch Mungo Jerry in the face'. I hadn't the heart, etc.

That said, I met Ray Dorset - for it was he - a while after his band's success, and have to say that I rather concurred with my sister's ex.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: That said, I met Ray Dorset - for it was he - a while after his band's success, and have to say that I rather concurred with my sister's ex.
                                                    I saw Ray Dorset on German TV a few years ago. He had a German wife and was living in Bielefeld of all places.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X