Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Individuals named for bands (and vice versa)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having just seen Rhona Cameron's phenomenal fuck-up on Pointless, thinking that T'Pau was a solo act (although to be fair, can you name any of the other members?) it got me thinking about just how often this occurs.

On the one hand you've got Aqualung, Passenger and at various periods in time The Lightning Seeds, Foo Fighters (first album was just Grohl) and Tears For Fears (most of the 90s, certainly Elemental and Raoul And The Kings Of Spain were Roland alone).

Whereas on the other there's Danny Wilson and at least initially Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson (although Messrs Furnier and Warner did later buckle in the face of public opinion).

Meatloaf.

Comment

Blondie

Comment

The Weeknd is totally the name of a band, not an individual. The amount it bothers me is massively disproportionate to the amount it should bother me.

Comment

San Bernardhinault wrote: The Weeknd is totally the name of a band, not an individual.
          I'm not sure if I agree with your police work, there, Lou.

Comment

Nine Inch Nails is really just one guy, isn't it?
            Or, maybe it's like Social Distortion - there have been lots of musicians with the band over the year, but only one guy who has been in all the line-ups. Boston was really just one guy, although apparently people who aren't that guy have tried to tour as Boston.

The Alan Parsons Project was two guys, but Alan Parsons was, as far as I know, never the lead singer.

Naming bands after people not in the band was a mini-trend among bands at my college. A friend of mine was in a band called Logan Spector. Logan Spector is a real guy and friends with the guys in the band, but wasn't in Logan Spector. There was also a band called Anne Summers, not featuring any women let alone one names Anne. Some other guys I knew had a band called Mudcat Jones. Nobody in the band was named Jones. Or Mudcat.

Comment

Genesis was the 65th most popular girl's name in the US in 2015.

Comment

Scant Regard is just one person.

Bat for Lashes.

Comment

Argent

Comment

Boston was really just one guy, although apparently people who aren't that guy have tried to tour as Boston.

Boston was mostly one guy,(Tom Scholtz) but the band had been in existence in one form or another prior to his success. He wasn't the vocalist on More than a Feeling, and the guy who was had been part of the band for several years.

Comment

Mull Historical Society
                      Momus
                      U.N.P.O.C.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Boston was really just one guy, although apparently people who aren't that guy have tried to tour as Boston.

Boston was mostly one guy,(Tom Scholtz) but the band had been in existence in one form or another prior to his success. He wasn't the vocalist on More than a Feeling, and the guy who was had been part of the band for several years.
                        Thanks for that clarification.

Comment

Wasn't Black just Colin Vearncombe?

Other one-man bands: Badly Drawn Boy and Soul Whirling Somewhere.

Comment

PJ Harvey, originally.

Comment

Creedence Clearwater Couto is still journeymanning around the Brazilian lower leagues.

Shame he never teamed up with ex-Empoli, Catania and Italy u-21 midfielder Francesco Lodi.

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote: Creedence Clearwater Couto is still journeymanning around the Brazilian lower leagues.

Shame he never teamed up with ex-Empoli, Catania and Italy u-21 midfielder Francesco Lodi.
                                Please tell me there is a Revival Da Silva kicking around in some Recife no-mark team.

Comment

OK, you did ask. Creedence-football cross-ties:

Portervale
                                  Cross Bar Walker
                                  Yogi Loewdi
                                  Up around the Bendtner
                                  Terry up the Country
                                  Bad Moon Reiziger
                                  Preudhomme Mary

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote: Argent
                                    See also Van Halen and Bon Jovi... although it really should be Buongiovi if they were following the convention in its strictest form.

Comment

The Waterboys is Mike Scott. There have been some long standing members but he'll be the only name on the recording contract, I'd guess. He confused matters by 'going solo' for a couple of albums, admittedly.

Comment

There was that guy called The Streets. But I guess most urban acts could sound like that. Plan B. Fifty Cent. etc.

EDIT: Actually The Streets was a project thing. Should have looked that up.

Comment

On the one hand there's Beirut, and Possessed by Paul James — not bands. On the other there's Mink DeVille and Daddy Maxfield — not individuals (but have a connection to someone in the band with (almost) that name. Not sure whether The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, or Wolf Alice count at all?

Comment

The Wedding Present has been David Gedge + 3/4 for a long time.

Comment

Mick Hucknall used to insist that Simply Red was a band, not just him, but I'd defy anyone to name another member.

Cat Power is another theoretical band, rather than just Chan Marshall's stage name.

Ralf Hutter seems to believe that Kraftwerk is him plus three interchangeable helpers. He is wrong.

Comment

Aztec Camera

Comment

Benjm wrote: Mick Hucknall used to insist that Simply Red was a band, not just him, but I'd defy anyone to name another member.
                                                  Can anyone name a member of Scritti Politti that's not Green?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X