The Tyranny of Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tyranny of Food

So, at first glance the premise of this seems faintly ridiculous to me - people actively looking for faster, more convenient ways of getting their calories and nutrition than good, old-fashioned meals.

I work with people who use Huel and claim it's doing them some good. My instinct is to think this is all just a form of placebo, and that people so committed/pressured into working at the expense of eating 'properly' must be mad.

And, indeed, from the above articles comes the assertion that:
    Right now I think the companies who produce these [products] are the ones really benefiting from them.
    But then it makes a point about the success of pre-packaged meals and it made me realise that most of us are probably guilty of this to some extent - choosing convenience over effort regardless of the pay-off.

Now, I don't mind cooking, and sometimes I very much enjoy it - the process of constructing a meal is rewarding. But there are times, perhaps 2-3 week periods at a time, when I struggle to motivate myself to do it, and often don't.

I really should force myself to do it more regularly.

The Tyranny of Food

The meal replacement stuff does just look like an extreme manifestation of clean/strong oneupmanship with a side order of lunch-is-for-wimps thrown in. And Soylent is a wanky, know nothing, smart arse giggler of a name for it.

Comment

The Tyranny of Food

Maybe this is a reaction to the fetishisation of cookery that's been going on for the last couple of decades.

I love good food, and can cook a meal in 20-30 minutes, but I only do that once or twice a week. I can't see the attraction of fiddling around for an hour or so for something you're going to eat in 5-10 minutes. And all the orgasmic groaning over food that some people seem to think is cute rather than a bit disturbing. Food is food, sex is sex.

But there is a middle ground, you can have something satisfying, tasty and nutritious without all that faffing.

Comment

The Tyranny of Food

Hear hear.

Comment

The Tyranny of Food

I think that's a very good point, and the other end of the spectrum. That fetishisation grates just as much - from those ridiculous M&S adverts to the obsession with fine dining promoted via Master Chef and the like.

It all seems to create an impression that if you're not in an office working your way to burnout, you should be in the kitchen making things that would pass grace the table at a Michelin-starred restaurant.

As you say, there's a middle ground.

Comment

The Tyranny of Food

The best home-cooked food is bad for you anyway.

Exhibit A: Cake.

Comment

Working...
            X