Old people at festivals are so gross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ Didn't see that before I left, saw a couple of things on BBC Introducing (including Carlisle's own Hardwicke Circus) as it was well placed between other stages and in the open air so easy to catch bits when wandering, but didn't see either of those.

We all had a ball despite the mud and rain. I barely saw Thing One all weekend, his mates were camping in the next field so I let them get on with it and was rewarded with the sight of him arriving back at his tent at 9am on the Monday morning wearing a fake fur coat and the look of someone who'd had the weekend of his life.

I gained some approval from Thing Two by taking her to the front for Fall Out Boy, steering her through the throng for the You Me At Six 'secret' set, and queueing up with her to meet Chvrches at the signing tent.

Got to see enough of what I wanted to see - Savages (electric presence but played to a pitiful 'crowd'), Ezra Furman, Lapsley were all targets that I managed. Foals and Chvrches were both hampered by the rain (at least for the latter we were close enough to get some shelter from the stage canopy - for Foals I was sat on my own on the hill bravely persevering while One chaperoned Two into the big tent for Twenty One Pilots). Enjoyed Biffy Clyro, managed 45 minutes of RHCP to say I'd seen them before we called it a night (and weekend), they wouldn't have worried about my absence, it was by some distance the largest crowd of the weekend.

I was able to fill all three days (and indeed the Thursday 'warm up' night) with stuff I knew, though admittedly it was a mix of stuff I would have known anyway, stuff Thing One has introduced me to since he got into gig-going, and a few I looked into before going. There was still so much I was unfamiliar with that I have no 'down with the kids' claim to make here.

One 'thing' ('band' is far from the right word) that I got dragged to reluctantly turned out to be an unexpected highlight - grime label/collective Boy Better Know, led by the lad Skepta. Had no clue who what they/it was a few months ago when they were announced in a high slot (knew of Skepta but didn't realise that's who it was), went along, looked around, watched a massive crowd go absolutely mental, felt very old, secretly enjoyed it.

We've started planning a return next year.

Comment

I'm going to a festival! Okay, not *that* kind of festival, though. I'm off to Sheffield at the end of the month, for the first time in years, to the Sensoria film & music festival. I'll be seeing (at different times & places) Blancmange, Gazelle Twin, Near Future and Michael Rother. I'll also be paying a visit to Synthfest UK, which is also under the Sensoria umbrella.

However, I couldn't get a room in either of the B&Bs I used to stay in (The Hillsborough Hotel & The Ivory House Hotel) so I'm staying at The Psalter, in Psalter Lane, for the first time. Anyone stayed there, or know it? It looks a bit 'hip'. It seems to stock ales, though, so I should enjoy it, I reckon.

The other slight 'issue' is that I'm supposed to be going to an Electro all-nighter - DMX Krew, Cygnus, et al. in London - on the Friday night, then driving up to Sheffield, pretty much straight after! I've actually booked the Friday off work, so I can lay in all day, then only get up in the late afternoon and go almost straight up to the all-nighter. I hope that might help in some way. Either that, or I could simply not go to the all-nighter first!

Anyway... woo-hoo! :-)

Comment

Have you warmed a bit to Gazelle Twin, evilc? I seem to remember that you weren't too keen that time she played before Wrangler.

Comment

MsD wrote: They also headlined in 90 or 91? With Sinead O'Connor in the second slot.
          I was there, it was 1990. The Cure played as the sun went down, I was in an acid haze, it was all rather lovely.

Comment

Benjm wrote: Have you warmed a bit to Gazelle Twin, evilc? I seem to remember that you weren't too keen that time she played before Wrangler.
            No, not really. But I'm willing to give this a chance, plus I'm also interested in the support act, which features Neil (Blancmange) Arthur. ...Plus, I'm in Sheffield anyway, so I might as well go! :-)

Comment

Walt Flanagans Chien wrote: Finally on a general point, there have been a few examples this year of festivals getting cancelled due to poor ticket sales - there seems no end of people willing to launch new festivals but they are struggling to find their niche in a crowded market. We've even just had a new one announced in Carlisle this week, which has gone for a clear lads' indie theme (Enemy, Pigeon Detectives, Reverend & the Makers, Feeder, Ordinary Boys) that I've got little enthusiasm to pay £30-40 for.
              Despite my reluctance I was talked into going to the second night of this and, being full of drink, actually enjoyed it. Feeder headlined but came on 30 minutes late, by which time it had started raining which made for a poor ending. I believe the organisers did enough to just about break even, and they may get a better slot next year (it was in a municipal park) rather than the last weekend in September.

Comment

T in the Park is 'taking a year off', next year according to today's announcement. In reality this means it's not coming back, and it is believed that the organisers are setting up a new event on Glasgow Green, day tickets only, to prevent the warzone that the T campsite turned into in recent years.

The Strathallan ospreys (as in, actual birds, not a local American football team) are taking the brunt of the blame in the media, but the new site was doomed from the start. The organisers won't admit any mistakes they've made, but at least they've been consistent in this denial right to the end.

Comment

I love Glasgow Green and miss it to fuck. The fountain, the nicely reclad tower blocks across the way overlooking the river, The Homes for the Future (that we never quite got) block on the north rim, the mad carpet warehouse/Brick Venice knock off, the mix of folk you get in it compared to the trendy wendy parks.

No fuckin 3 day cheap pill fest though, please. There mightn't be camping, but there'll be face chewing knack-bags by the thousand roaming the streets after lights out. They should have it in Jaffa marching season, create a synergy of wankers.

Or back in Hamilton, no one would notice the difference out there.

Comment

November has been a ridiculously expensive month, but my late 2016 and 2017 festival going has been settled.

- first week of December: going to see Jaga Jazzist at the Dortmunder Jazztage
                    - June 2017: Best Kept Secret festival. Will see Radiohead and Arcade Fire.
                    - July 2017: North Sea Jazz festival. No names announced yet, but this one has never been not awesome.

Comment

Lang: Is there still that yeast smell there?

edit: in Glasgow Green, not Hamilton, necessarily.

Comment

It wasn't the last time I was there two year back. But Tennent's Brewery is still nearby and the wind wasn't blowing much that fairly sunny week.

Fuck I'm getting nostalgic like those folk living in Canada with Tartan wallpaper. Need an excuse to ditch the Fife massive for a day or twa and hit Glasgow this Christmas. But nae Arches.. Fuckin polis and cooncil cunts...

Comment

I haven't been in Glasgow in 20 years. I've never been to the new Parkhead*.

I am not nostalgic. But will have to see it all before I kick it.

*Obviously, as that's only 18 years.

Comment

It's been a shaky summer for UK festivals. A couple of weeks ago Y Not festival descended into chaos (bands forced to cancel, reported safety issues) before being abandoned midway through. Then at the weekend the new Hope & Glory festival in Liverpool was reportedly very chaotic on the Saturday (late opening, bands forced to cancel or shorten their sets, allegations of chronic overcrowding), forcing the cancellation of the Sunday. It's worth checking out the Facebook and Twitter accounts of the latter to see the almighty row that has developed.

We're repeating last year's schedule, we did 2000 Trees last month and back at Leeds in a couple of weeks. Hoping the latter is as dry as the former.

Comment

Working...
                            X