France - Portugal, Sunday evening football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I've mentioned in the semi thread, if France opens up the score in the first half, things could easily snowball into a one-sided 2-0/3-0 win.

Portugal's path to success is to play confidently, try to build up some presence in the midfield and not be excessively defensive. Parking the bus won't work, 120min is too much time for Pogba, Griezmann or even Giroud. They've got to survive the first 50-60min and get to a position where the pressure builds up on the hosts/favorites.

But mostly, this France team has the momentum, gradually getting better throughout the tournament and going into this game with a good team dynamic. They were helped by the second goal against Germany, which took the pressure off and allowed them to cruise the rest of the game, somewhat mitigating the extra day of rest that Portugal got.

I'm pretty optimistic about this final.

Comment

Mate, if Ronaldo scores and takes his top off, this'll be the semi thread.

Comment

Proper Kits!!

Comment

EIM wrote: Ronaldo to win, please. Ronaldo to win ushering in an era of silent xenophobic rage, of self-loathing and internalised fury. Of bulging eyes and tear-stained Daily Mail pages. Of foamy, frothy, guilty masturbation as they whine and moan and scream in ecstasy at Ronaldo's chiselled, rock-hard abdominal muscles and sculpted pectorals while publicly denouncing him as a ponce, a poser, and a poof.
          Hurray!

Comment

I like to see dynasties spectacularly confirmed, ala Spain thrashing Italy in the 2012 final, or something utterly sensational unfolding - Greece 2004.

So not particularly excited about tonight. And find myself hoping Portugal win. Just coz I reckon they've served their time historically - whole lot of major semis this century, including their second ever at the World Cup, and one losing final. Time they got a trophy - and it'll compensate Ronaldo's Ballons d'Or deficit in his duel with Messi - want to see that going to the wire.

Would like to see Portugal do it with 9 men for most of the match - 0-0, on penalties. Like the entire tournament it would be more gripping than aesthetically pleasing.

None of the potential champions - the pre-tournament favourites - did anything that'll live long in the memory. Croatia died a death just as they began looking special. I enjoyed Italy proving their critics wrong - loved their games v Spain and Belgium. Enjoyed seeing Germany then overcome their Italy hoodoo but am kinda gutted their robotic penalties record is gone. There's always an unexpected quarter-finalist and usually an unexpected semi-finalist in big tourneys but, with none of the giants being particularly sensational this summer, Wales and Iceland were the real stories.

Nothing against France. They've some great players. And winning a third Euros takes them level with Germany and Spain on Euros titles (would push them ahead of Spain for me to become Europe's historic third-best international side).

But the fact I'm looking at history rather than slavering with anticipation about this final says it all for my Euro 2016.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Proper Kits!!

Netter than it might have been but Portugal in green shorts and France in white would be required for it to be "proper" surely?

Comment

Nice.

Comment

I think there's too much of a clash between the goalkeepers' sleeves.

Comment

I suspect this is simply because UEFA didn't want France to have to play in their away strip, but couldn't very well make Portugal do it because they'd been drawn as the home side.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote:
                      Originally posted by ursus arctos
                      Proper Kits!!

Netter than it might have been but Portugal in green shorts and France in white would be required for it to be "proper" surely?
                      Yes this is not a proper kit. I don't get why they wouldn't let the white shorts, if anything it would make the kits more distinct. The bureaucrats in Nyon are just as stupid as those in Brussels.

Comment

I agree on the white shorts for France, but is Harry seriously proposing that it would be better if Portugal wore their pistachio shorts?

They no longer have proper dark green shorts.

Comment

Can I hope that Brand C R7 doesn't win without it being somehow homophobic?

Comment

The sizeable Franco-Portuguese community gives this final some much-needed needle - the crowd will still probably be 70% blue, one suspects?

Comment

Germany got over their schneid with Italy, France got off the schneid with Germany, so I would presume Portugal gets off their schneid with France and finals tonight.

Comment

jason voorhees wrote: Germany got over their schneid with Italy, France got off the schneid with Germany, so I would presume Portugal gets off their schneid with France and finals tonight.
                                Jinx?

Comment

Defensive minded wrote:
                                  Originally posted by EIM
                                  Ronaldo to win, please. Ronaldo to win ushering in an era of silent xenophobic rage, of self-loathing and internalised fury. Of bulging eyes and tear-stained Daily Mail pages. Of foamy, frothy, guilty masturbation as they whine and moan and scream in ecstasy at Ronaldo's chiselled, rock-hard abdominal muscles and sculpted pectorals while publicly denouncing him as a ponce, a poser, and a poof.
                                  Do you honestly believe people don't like Ronaldo out of xenophobia? They just think he's a bit of a twat.
                                  Yes.

Comment

I for one am hoping for a Pepe meltdown. The stage is set.

Comment

That is quite a lot of moths.

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: I for one am hoping for a Pepe meltdown. The stage is set.
                                        Agreed. Top of my wish-list for tonight.

Deco??!! Ah - now there was a player ...

Comment

the clashing keepers' sleeves could come into play when Clattenburg mis-identifies the handler as a late keeper-up-for-a-corner winner sneaks in

Comment

I think by the start, both teams will be wearing moth.

Comment

You'd think Clattenberg would be pretty happy to see all those moths.

Comment

EIM wrote:
                                                Originally posted by Defensive minded
                                                Originally posted by EIM
                                                Ronaldo to win, please. Ronaldo to win ushering in an era of silent xenophobic rage, of self-loathing and internalised fury. Of bulging eyes and tear-stained Daily Mail pages. Of foamy, frothy, guilty masturbation as they whine and moan and scream in ecstasy at Ronaldo's chiselled, rock-hard abdominal muscles and sculpted pectorals while publicly denouncing him as a ponce, a poser, and a poof.
                                                Do you honestly believe people don't like Ronaldo out of xenophobia? They just think he's a bit of a twat.
                                                Yes.
                                                Nah, it's like Ibrahimovic, in that people believe he's after swallowing the fantasies of his over-inflated ego - opening a museum to yourself hardly dispels such accusations.

Comment

France to bottle it; Portugal to defend stoically.

What the fuck is this music?

Comment

One back for Wales as Bonnie Tyler duets with David Guetta ...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X