It probably helps to be Canadian but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because it's Canadian Radio /TV related, Stuart McLean has died.

I totally didn't get his schtick for years and years, and then one day while making the bed, I found myself laughing. I felt like an idiot. But damn, he just seemed to be a great guy.

Cancer, of course.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2017/02/15/stuart-mclean-longtime-host-of-cbc-radios-vinyl-cafe-has-died.html

Comment

Yeah. RIP and stuff, seemed like a great guy, only two months older than me too. However I'm afraid I couldn't stand Vinyl Café. It was his delivery. He always sounded as if he was shouting into force eight gale. No modulation, no volume control. Unfortunately he only reminded how much better Garrison Keillor is at that type of thing.

Comment

I have just watched the final episode of Letterkenny season 3, and feel a great emptiness in my life now that there are no more episodes to watch.

Comment

I'm not familiar with him. Bummer.

Comment

It's fantastic. Utterly absurd regional humour.

Comment

I'm familiar with Letterkenny. I've watched as many clips as I can, but can't get access to any actual episodes. It's great

I meant, I don't know Stuart McLean

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                I meant, I don't know Stuart McLean
                Stuart was a good egg, I think. I didn't get his humour for a long, long time. It's really quaint and small town. The comedic equivalent of a wallpaper border with cows and chickens and ducks on it. He played every small to mid-sized venue in every small to mid-sized town in Canada doing his folksy comedic schtick. And then he'd write a new Vinyl Café book and do it all over again. I understand he was also stupendously wealthy in a Jimmy Buffett 'one-man-industry' sort of way. Worked his ass off, for sure. And then he died.

Comment

Yeah, definitely in the Leacock tradition. Like Letterkenny in fact, but for a different generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                    I have just watched the final episode of Letterkenny season 3, and feel a great emptiness in my life now that there are no more episodes to watch.
                    40 more episodes have been ordered.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...onal-push.html

Comment

There's a Halloween Special this week, though it hasn't shown up on Crave yet.

Comment

How are ya ... soon?

Letterkenny has been picked up on Hulu in the US.

Debuts July 13. You've been warned.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...tterkenny.html

Comment

Well, now I guess i have to get Hulu. I'll cancel Netflix for a while to compensate.

Comment

Season 5 has been out for about a week. Haven't seen any of it yet, but is high on the priority list.

Comment

Well, I didn't care much for the first two episodes of the new season, but the third felt really good.

Fuck every duck, indeed. The non-tweeting thing at the start was amazing, and the clash of Letterkenny regulars with the hard right was cathartic.
                              Last edited by Wouter D; 26-07-2018, 20:07. Reason: overdose of "amazing". Vocabulary diversification required.

Comment

Good thing it's not the grammar bee.

Comment

We don't fight AT weddings.

Comment

Merry Christmas indeed! Season 9 is released on December 25th. Here's the trailer; I enjoyed it.

Comment

The only good thing going on right now, it seems.

Comment

I've no idea what those accents were supposed to be, innit.

Comment

Jesus, but those guys can stretch out a gag. Sometimes for good...sometimes not.

Comment

Extending the gag too long is part of the gag.

I find that some parts of it is more rewatchable than others.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                              I've no idea what those accents were supposed to be, innit.
                                              It's people making fun of somebody who has an affected accent by doing accents that they don't really know how to do.

Comment

Yeah, I was being facetious, hence the trailing "innit."

Comment

In case anyone else is also in need of something to watch while nursing the Christmas Day hangover: season 9 of Letterkenny is out now.

Comment

Ain't no reason to get excited, but it is a good reason to revive this thread. Like clockwork, one year after the last one, season 10 has been released.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X