Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone like looking at space?

NASA Videos.

In Ultra High Definition. Music is a bit twinkly, but should be fine if you have one blazing to hand.

I thought this would be about NASAs "The New World Atlas of Artificial Sky Brightness"

I've been trying to work out where I could go on holiday fairly near to the UK and see a pristine sky for just one night.

Comment

I can't remember the name of the previous 'general' space stuff thread, so I'm going to hijack this one!

I just wanted to say that I am genuinely blown away by this Juno mission even succeeding in just getting the craft into orbit around Jupiter. More than for other missions (for some reason) my mind is blown by what they've done. I wasn't expecting it to succeed (and go into orbit) to be honest, but when I found out they had, I was strangely emotional. I really hope they succeed with a few more of their objectives before the thing dies. (I fully expect it to be taken out by some piece of debris, frankly.)

Apologies for the thread hijack, Gerontophile - hopefully it'll act as a 'bump' to raise awareness of your original post, too.

Comment

Le Vin wrote: I thought this would be about NASAs "The New World Atlas of Artificial Sky Brightness"

I've been trying to work out where I could go on holiday fairly near to the UK and see a pristine sky for just one night.
        There are loads of dark sky sites in the UK. Seriously, there are some cracking places.
        Otherwise, sunstarfrance is a gite in the Haute Alpes where you can stay and they have a load of big scopes you can use.

Comment

You could also try a villa inland in Majorca. We stayed at a place called Villa Frare near Sa Pobla. Took my travel scope and had a lovely time.

Comment

Et Ville C`est? wrote: I can't remember the name of the previous 'general' space stuff thread, so I'm going to hijack this one!

I just wanted to say that I am genuinely blown away by this Juno mission even succeeding in just getting the craft into orbit around Jupiter. More than for other missions (for some reason) my mind is blown by what they've done. I wasn't expecting it to succeed (and go into orbit) to be honest, but when I found out they had, I was strangely emotional. I really hope they succeed with a few more of their objectives before the thing dies. (I fully expect it to be taken out by some piece of debris, frankly.)

Apologies for the thread hijack, Gerontophile - hopefully it'll act as a 'bump' to raise awareness of your original post, too.
            I don't think you should apologise and I bet Gero wouldn't want you to either: the Juno mission is pure slide-rule-ethos-determination propelled by wonderment at its finest. It's incredible.

Comment

I had actually forgotten about this one, and posted in 'Mundane' about Juno, so wire in, Et ville.

Comment

Seconded, what SB said.

For what's it's worth Clive, I think you're thinking of the Anyone for an astronomy thread? thread.
                I know where you're coming from, by the way. I got quite emotional when the incredible, startlingly clear and pristine images of Pluto came in from the New Horizons probe last year. It was like seeing a little brother you never knew you had.

Comment

hobbes wrote:
                  Originally posted by Le Vin
                  I thought this would be about NASAs "The New World Atlas of Artificial Sky Brightness"

There are loads of dark sky sites in the UK. Seriously, there are some cracking places.
                  Otherwise, sunstarfrance is a gite in the Haute Alpes where you can stay and they have a load of big scopes you can use.
                  When we went to the big island of Hawaii, we rented a house close to Volcano National Park, in a less developed part of the island. We didn't get there until it was dark out. When we got to the house, I got out of the car and looked up, and the clarity of the stars was almost shocking. I hadn't seen a sky like that in years.

Comment

I have never looked through a telescope, and have only one wish should I do so: to see Saturn.

Comment

Jupiter is worth a look too.
                      And the Sun, but only with a special solar scope or proper solar filter. Obviously.

Comment

Over in Hornsea earlier, and looked up at the moon and saw a single light below it. It wasn't moving so it wasn't a plane, but I've no idea what it is.
                        This was about 6:50pm. Sorry about the quality but I only had my phone to take it on and had to expand the image to make it visible.

20230324_185002.jpg

Comment

Probably Venus ^

Comment

Thanks. This site would seem to back that up

https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essen...aturn-mercury/

Comment

There was a beautiful sight of the crescent moon, Jupiter and Venus last month that I took many photos of. Every fucking one merged the moon into a ball. I must get a decent telephone with a decent camera...

Comment

Working...
                              X