Damn the DWP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn the DWP

Given that Stephen Crabb, the homophobic fundamentalist Christian who is also Work and Pensions Secretary, is putting himself forward for Tory leadership, his dedicated thread should probably be given over to that. So here's a new DWP one. I apologise for not sticking to the standard sweary format, but I thought I'd make it safe for work.

The UN Committee for Economic, Social and Cultural Rights has published its UK assessment, and it isn't pretty.

The Canary summarises the conclusions here. Notable is the recommendation that all benefit cuts since 2012 be reversed, something that many Labour MPs would do well to take on board.

None of this has any legal force, unfortunately.

Damn the DWP

Time for us to leave this undemocratic, self-appointed nest of New York bureaucrats. Back off Boutros!

Comment

Damn the DWP

Centre for Welfare Reform summary. Somewhat clearer than the Canary one.

Comment

Damn the DWP

Less facetiously - fascinating stuff DM, and well worth bringing to wider attention, if only on here.

Comment

Damn the DWP

Some good news.

A judge has ruled that a man's benefits were sanctioned illegally, and he should get them refunded. Could open the way for others.

Has anyone seen coverage of the UN assessment on any mainstream news outlets btw? This is another thing the Labour Party could be bringing attention to if they weren't too busy.

Comment

Damn the DWP

New ogres at the DWP

Sec of State is Damian Green, "MP for Ashford. Fan of Reading FC and Half Man Half Biscuit". Four ministers, three of whom have constituencies in Hampshire and one in Watford. That's an incredibly SE-centric group.

Comment

Damn the DWP

delicatemoth wrote: This is another thing the Labour Party could be bringing attention to if they weren't too busy.
              Yep.

Comment

Damn the DWP

Universal Credit delayed until 2022

Comment

Damn the DWP

Despite four years of legal manoeuvring, the DWP has had to name all the organisations who were involved in Mandatory Work Activity in 2011-12. Much applause to Frank Zola and Boycott Workfare for dogged and eventually successful persistence with this.

Comment

Damn the DWP

Effects of cuts in disability support

Includes a young basketballer who had to pull out of Paralympic trials because she's stuck in sheltered housing for over-60s where she has to sleep every night, so can't go to the training camps.

Comment

Damn the DWP

DWP refusing to publish reviews into benefit claimant deaths, again

I say 'again' because this is not the first time the DWP has done this with reviews. Seven of these reviews relate to people who took their own lives.

Incidentally, I could quite easily post every article Frances Ryan writes (see my last post) on this thread. I urge you to read her pieces, she's one of the Guardian's remaining bright spots amid its sea of tedious opinionmongers.

Comment

Damn the DWP

Retesting scrapped for chronically ill ESA claimants

This seems like reasonably uncomplicated good news, so I'm looking for the sting in the tail. Incidentally I haven't been retested since being awarded ESA 2 1/2 years ago - hopefully this news means that more claimants will be spared such tests.

Comment

Damn the DWP

A couple of relevant Guardian articles:

Fit for work.

Not fit for work.

Comment

Damn the DWP

Reports of progress on Universal Credit.

Also reports of massive overspending and hundreds of contractors being sacked, some at one day's notice. Wonder if our old friend, IDS, is implicated.

Comment

Damn the DWP

I knew I was missing something.

The extension of 'work related activity' to people who've already been classified as medically unemployable

The very language of this shit is violence. Entangling healthcare, which is supposed to be helpful, with the systemic economic coercion of work programmes and 'favourable work outcomes' is violence. Undergoing the sort of 'work related activity' they have in mind is quite literally Kafka-esque - you are forced to accept blatant nonsense as real. I struggle to find the strength to talk about it.

Comment

Damn the DWP

Some thoughts from someone who does have energy to talk about it

More hearteningly, some Conservative MPs are threatening to oppose ESA cuts.

Comment

Damn the DWP

Might be one for the Lords too, like tax credits? At least keeps it in the news a while if that happens.

Clegg got one thing right. Plenty of Lib Democrats peers to hold vote against this stuff.

Comment

Damn the DWP

Watch job centre staff telling a disabled woman to climb stairs to sign on

If you can't bear to watch the video (I couldn't, but I'm pretty familiar with this stuff and it's quite close to home) then the article it's in is well worth reading.

Comment

Damn the DWP

Not unknown at WCA centres either, I gather. Appalling.

Though Osborne was stopped from cutting working tax credits, I think there are still a load of miserly benefit rises due. Not what's needed with more inflation.

Comment

Damn the DWP

I didn't mention out of work benefits there, did I?

I am sure the poor sods are even worse off.

Comment

Damn the DWP

Alright, here is the UNCRPD Report on Abuses of Disabled People’s Rights in UK.

The response from the UK govt has basically been "What the fuck you gonna do?". Predictable fury in the fash tabloids at these foreigners daring to tell us not to be so brutal.

Benefits cap started rolling out yesterday.

Comment

Damn the DWP

Universal Credit making everything worse in Glasgow

73 homeless people now owe £144,000 after being mistakenly placed on UC.

Comment

Damn the DWP

And making things worse beyond Glasgow too.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk//7018394.article?mobilesite=enabled

the percentage of council home tenants in receipt of Universal Credit who are in rent arrears has increased by seven percentage points – from 79% in March last year to 86%.

This compares with 39% of tenants in arrears who do not receive Universal Credit.

The average arrears total has also increased, from £321 to £616. The research also revealed 59% of Universal Credit claimants living in council homes have arrears that equate to more than one month’s rent.

Comment

Damn the DWP

DWP outsourcing fuck up. Concentrix.

No need to read a newspaper story. The National Audit Office put it strongly enough.

https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Investigation-into-HMRCs-contract-with-Concentrix-Summary.pdf

Appalling treatment of tax credit claimants and serial failure to reach targets. Eventually replaced by 670 DWP staff. Not to be reoutsourced.

IDS was obsessed with tax credits being "targeted by fraudsters from around the world". Hard not to see him as the driving force behind this.

Comment

Damn the DWP

Unbelievably the "Pregnant with a third child? Abort of face penury" bit of Universal Credit is still going.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/584802/government-response-to-universal-credit-and-child-tax-credit-exceptions-to-the-2-child-limit-consultation.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                                  X