Eternal tropes in sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eternal tropes in sport

Inspired by England FC doing what they do, as we all knew they would (if earlier than expected). Others?

I don't mean "X years without winning", like the Boston Red Sox, but things that happen again and again, and yet somehow in a different way, so the producers suck us back in at the box office for yet another sequel.

South Africa screwing up at the Cricket World Cup is a familiar one. The All Blacks managed to find five different ways to flop every four years, but now we can pretend that never happened.

There are those who always win, of course, like Kenyan steeplechasers, but the losers are more fun.

Eternal tropes in sport

Until LeBron James personally willed the Cavaliers to a NBA Championship last week, post 1964 Cleveland sports teams were notorious for conjuring unlikely ways to tear defeat from the joys of victory, crushing the hearts and souls of ther fans in the process.

There is a 30 for 30 documentary on this called Believeland that I recommend.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

As sure as night follows day:

Wales losing to a southern hemisphere team in the rugby. Oftentimes in agonizing fashion.

Ireland losing at the quarter final stage in the rugby world cup.

Scotland failing to get out of the group stages in the football.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

In tournament football, Germany never defeat Italy. In group matches, they draw and in knockout matches, the Ialians have always triumphed.

This trope is about to be tested at the weekend.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

tee rex wrote:
          I don't mean "X years without winning"
          However: next year is always Liverpool's year.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

Jimmy White playing Stephen Hendry in a snooker final.

Greg Norman getting into a playoff in a major championship.

The All Blacks scoring a crucial try that has even their own commentators saying "well that pass looked a BIT forward".

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

They cross the Melling Road and it's over to John Hamner.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

The Bristow and Taylor eras in darts.

West Indies v England 1973-1990: England sometimes getting into decent positions but then always blown away.

Warne and McGrath blowing away England and South Africa for a decade.

Murali rips through a side which then accuses him of chucking.

Ed Moses beating Harald Schmid

Navratilova beating Evert at Wimbledon

Pete Sampras blowing through Wimbledon in the 90s

McEnroe abusing umpires

Federer at his peak

Perhaps Novak beating Murray against next week.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

Liverpool never losing a penalty shoot out in a major final ... oh, bugger.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

USA winning the Ryder Cup against GB & Ireland for decades but now usually losing to Europe.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

Higuain.

Argentina lose to Germany (post-1986)

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

Mayo won the All-Ireland Gaelic football title in 1950 and 1951. They didn't get back to the final until 1989, but since then they've failed to win the final in 1989, 1996 (after a replay), 1997, 2004, 2006, 2012 and 2013. Seven final defeats in a row.

Benfica have lost 8 major European finals in a row.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

Kryvbas Gripper Rih wrote: They cross the Melling Road and it's over to John Hamner.
                          I wonder how many Brits will get that without googling?

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

Satchmo Distel wrote: USA winning the Ryder Cup against GB & Ireland for decades but now usually losing to Europe.
                            The sports press telling us all that this is something that we should be worried about when, in fact, I think only about 1,000 people in all of these United States care one bit.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

gérontophile wrote:
                              Originally posted by Kryvbas Gripper Rih
                              Brits? Loads, I'd imagine. Non-brits? Not so much.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

[strike]A plucky Brit getting through a round at Wimbledon.[/strike]

Gurners gurning when they see themselves on the big screen.

Every Olympian featured on NBC will have a 'heartbreaking' backstory.

Lee Westwood being 2 behind the leaders after the third round in a Major.

College sports star in rape scandal.

NFL star in assault scandal.

English soccer player in racism scandal.

Oh, and unrelated, if Michael Gove wins, he will suddenly start supporting Fulham.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                                  Originally posted by gérontophile
                                  Originally posted by Kryvbas Gripper Rih
                                  Brits? Loads, I'd imagine. Non-brits? Not so much.
                                  Yeah, that was a fuckup.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

Should be Hanmer, not Hamner.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

Magnificent example, though.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

Player mutiny at tournaments. Maybe it hasn't occurred as much as I think it has but I always expect at least one team per tournament to have a meltdown in camp. I think this was the speciality of the Dutch in the 90's and more recently the French had one in 2010. Also, I believe Ghana had one in Brazil when they refused to play unless they were paid in cash upfront and I seem to recall the bizarrel scene of a limo laden with cash driving through downtown Rio with an armed guard.

It was one of those weird scenes that was so surreal that I wondered if I was imagining it.

Comment

Eternal tropes in sport

I think it's a mathematical near-certainty that at any given tournament, at least one of the "favorites" and/or a recent champion will completely shit the bed and this will lead to reports of "discontent in the room" either real or imagined.

Same with ice hockey. There are six "major" teams and only three medals, so three of the big teams always go away sorely disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                                          X