No announcement yet.

Namesakes (or Near Namesakes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was tweeted at on Sunday by Everton fans expressing exasperation that I wasn't in their starting lineup at Brighton. Not that I'm famous or anything.

Comment

When Liam Brady was at his best in the 80s there was a private investigation firm called Liam Brady investigations that advertised regularly on the radio, making the most of their namesakes fame

Comment

Franchise had two players called George Williams playing for them last season. One was theirs, the other was on loan from Fulham for the year.

Comment

Leighton James and Jim Leighton.

Comment

There was a lower tier journeyman player in the 2000s who had my name inverted (first name as surname, and vice-versa). It was a bit weird when I saw myself on the teamsheet of the team playing against Oxford, when they wrote it as Surname, Firstname.

Comment

Andy Fat?

Comment

Bernardhinault Sans, actually.

Comment

A few years ago Brian McDermott managed Leeds United, whilst across the city Brian McDermott managed Leeds Rhinos.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    There was a lower tier journeyman player in the 2000s who had my name inverted (first name as surname, and vice-versa). It was a bit weird when I saw myself on the teamsheet of the team playing against Oxford, when they wrote it as Surname, Firstname.
                    When Morecambe's manager was still being given his Sunday name, I used to feel the same.

Morecambe beat Southend on the last day of 2014/15 in a result which sent Bury up at the Shrimpers' expense, so I had the odd feeling of seeing lots of Bury fans tweeting 'Thank you, James Bentley!'

Comment

Gary Bennett and Gary Bennett.

Me and Barrow's current no. 18.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                        Leighton James and Jim Leighton.
                        And James Leighton, who's written books about Duncan Edwards and David Rocastle.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                          A few years ago Brian McDermott managed Leeds United, whilst across the city Brian McDermott managed Leeds Rhinos.
                          Both teams had a Ryan Hall in them too. John O'Neill of Leicester City and John O'Neill of The Undertones went to the same school in Derry.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                            Gary Bennett and Gary Bennett.
                            I thought of them earlier while stuck in a boring meeting. Both strikers IIRC.

Comment

The Sunderland Gary Bennett (if indeed he was one of the Gary Bennetts under consideration) was the most centre-halfy of centre-halves. A brick bus shelter in Adidas Mundials.

Comment

Dave Watson and Dave Watson. Centre-halves both. Except when Dave Watson played up front for us for half a season. (Still wearing his number 5 shirt...)

Comment

Veteran Estudiantes de La Plata defender Leandro Desábato and his cousin, Vélez Sarsfield midfielder Leandro Desábato. The 'Luis' in the latter's name is bolded by Wikipedia presumably for reasons of differentiating them, since everyone here just calls them both 'Leandro Desábato'. They've played against each other a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                                    The Sunderland Gary Bennett (if indeed he was one of the Gary Bennetts under consideration) was the most centre-halfy of centre-halves. A brick bus shelter in Adidas Mundials.
                                    Ah, I didn't recall correctly

Comment

Man City's Brazilian midfielders from a couple of seasons ago, Fernando and Fernandinho.

Comment

It took a while for me to realise longtime Franchise boss Karl Robinson wasn't the former Wales and Wolves midfielder, Carl Robinson.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          Man City's Brazilian midfielders from a couple of seasons ago, Fernando and Fernandinho.
                                          Plus current roster-botherers Mendy and Otamendi. Sort of.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                            Dave Watson and Dave Watson. Centre-halves both. Except when Dave Watson played up front for us for half a season. (Still wearing his number 5 shirt...)
                                            What season was that?

Newcastle United had an Alan Neilson (Welsh, I think) in early 90s, Tottenham signed Danish midfielder Allan Nielsen in around 1997.

Denmark also had an Allan Hansen in the early 1980s.

Crewe had two players with the same name at the same time in the early 2000s but I can't remember the name.

In 2001-02, both Fulham and Middlesbrough had players called Mark Hudson, and both had 36 as their squad numbers.

Comment

1970-71.

Comment

Ah, in terms of different generations, we also have father and son Frank Lampards and Peter Taylor, assistant manager to Cloughie and then manager in his own right, and Peter Taylor, one time England manager.

Comment

Stoke midfielder Darren Fletcher and BT sports commentator and Robbie Savage side kick Darren Fletcher

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                    And, later, David Watson, Barnsley goalkeeper.

Also:
                                                    Alan Smith - Arsenal striker, Leeds striker/Man Utd and Newcastle midfielder, Crystal Palace manager, Sheffield Wednesday and England physio
                                                    Andy Gray - Everton/Villa/Smash it, Palace/Spurs winger, Leeds second generation

Comment

Working...
                                                    X