Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit-related racist incidents, pogroms, etc

Probably needs its own thread

A few unrelated incidents relayed here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Posted elsewhere on here. Luke would doubtless approve the source, at the very least.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3659842/No-Polish-vermin-Police-investigating-laminated-cards-reading-leave-EU-home-scum-posted-doors.html

Comment

I've already mentioned this on the results thread but thought it's worth writing again. I'm a teacher in Enfield and on Friday I had over a dozen Year 7 and 8 students coming to me, some in tears, all visibly upset because they had been told by other children that they were going to be sent back home. The reason was England (sic) was leaving the EU and they didn't have an English (sic) passport.

Comment

Met Police confirm "racially motivated criminal damage" to the Polish Cultural and Social Association in London.

Comment

Twitter account PostRefRacism aims to collate incidents

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Met Police confirm "racially motivated criminal damage" to the Polish Cultural and Social Association in London.
            Nice work, principled sovereignty enthusiasts!

It sounds like the damage is more symbolic than physical, but one can't help but note that POSK has gone largely unvandalised for the last five decades.

My wife is very upset about this, and its resonances, as visits there were part of her childhood. My mother-in-law, who was brought to the UK as a girl having been hidden with a Catholic family during the holocaust, and who is one of the strongest most resilient people that I know, is more upset about the out vote than any non-family event that I can remember.

I find that my anger about this stupid, spiteful shitstorm that the Government has visited upon us is only growing with time so far. Leavers trying to say that we should all pull together now that the result is in can seriously go screw themselves.

Comment

Benjm wrote:
              Originally posted by ursus arctos
              Met Police confirm "racially motivated criminal damage" to the Polish Cultural and Social Association in London.
              Nice work, principled sovereignty enthusiasts!

It sounds like the damage is more symbolic than physical, but one can't help but note that POSK has gone largely unvandalised for the last five decades.

My wife is very upset about this, and its resonances, as visits there were part of her childhood. My mother-in-law, who was brought to the UK as a girl having been hidden with a Catholic family during the holocaust, and who is one of the strongest most resilient people that I know, is more upset about the out vote than any non-family event that I can remember.

I find that my anger about this stupid, spiteful shitstorm that the Government has visited upon us is only growing with time so far. Leavers trying to say that we should all pull together now that the result is in can seriously go screw themselves.
              Where is he, btw?

Comment

He's, erm, exited, I think.

Comment

His work here is done, presumably.

The horrible, bigoted, pathetic, racist wanker.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote: His work here is done, presumably.

The horrible, bigoted, pathetic, racist wanker.
                    That's not a very nice way to talk about Spearmint Rhino...

Comment

Am I missing something?

Anyway, TLMG - being a mixed-race Englishwoman - is looking forward to stepping out to work tomorrow in a country where it's now perfectly acceptable to stand in the street and hurl abuse at anyone who doesn't look "British".

I hate this country.

Comment

Someone on twitter has posted a picture of some graffiti in Durham, which reads;

JO COX DESERVED IT. DURHAM NEXT.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                          Anyway, TLMG - being a mixed-race Englishwoman - is looking forward to stepping out to work tomorrow in a country where it's now perfectly acceptable to stand in the street and hurl abuse at anyone who doesn't look "British".
                          This is what ultimately makes me most angry about this sorry mess: people that I like (if you'll forgive the presumption) are experiencing real fear and real consequences while Farage, Johnson, Gove, Hannan and the rest of the fuckers are safely insulated from the fall out from their stupid game.

Comment

Indeed. She's currently having a text conversation with a Polish colleague of hers who is understandably worried about the surge in anti-Polish rhetoric and attacks since the vote.

Comment

"We have stopped speaking foreign in public."

Social media post from a Portuguese couple I know. They live on the east London/Essex border. Should clarify that they haven't been subject to any attacks/abuse that they've mentioned, but this is the chilling effect in action.

Comment

I don't want to over exaggerate here, but are we witnessing the beginning of a fascist coup?

Comment

That's what it feels like.

I'm worried for TLMG's safety, and I suspect she is too. In our own country.

Fuck England, and fuck brexiters (oh, and lexiters, while I'm at it).

Comment

Also, http://thisiswhatyouhavedone.uk

This is utterly tragic. An amazing country dragged into the gutter by morons and empowered racists.

Comment

Add to this a Dutch colleague/friend of mine who I just found out was yelled at the day before the vote.

Comment

You know you really have a big fucking problem when Adam Boulton is on 'your' team.

Comment

gérontophile wrote: You know you really have a big fucking problem when Adam Boulton is on 'your' team.
                                          Arron Banks is being a proper cunt about all this today.

Comment

Anyone up for a Facebook campaign to get this to No.1?

https://[video=youtube_share;bXWM84r...?v=bXWM84rUV-Q[/video]

The comments on YouTube include at least one other person who has seen parallels.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: I don't want to over exaggerate here, but are we witnessing the beginning of a fascist coup?
                                              Hitler came to power via a democratic election, so it is certainly possible for a fascist to take control via a referendum of the Brexit nature.

In the US, the Eisenhower presidency led a racist operation to deport 'wetbacks' in the 1950s, so parallels can be found in liberal democracies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wetback

Comment

Is anyone under any illusions as to what the core "control our borders" strand of the Exit campaign was really about:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36634786

Comment

More and more reports of "this sort of thing" coming in from all over the country.

It really is depressing.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X