No announcement yet.

Next Prime Minister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put £1 at 40-1 on Sajid Javid in April.

Worth resurrecting this thread, I thought.

Comment

From William Hill:

Comment

There's a fair few names on there I have never heard of.

Comment

I'd laugh if it was Jo Johnson. Not for long, mind.

Comment

I'm putting money on Gove.

Comment

William Hill seem to be living in the future.

Boris in charge doesn't bear thinking about.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                There's a fair few names on there I have never heard of.
                Almost every time a non-cabinet minister resigns I've never heard of them.

Comment

So a bunch of quite recent Labour leadership contenders have as much chance as Michael Heseltine. Ouch.

Comment

They've made some of them up haven't they? Tom Tugendhat? Tobias Ellwood? Johnny Mercer? Those are all invented names, for sure.

Comment

The 3 AH mentions are ex-Army. Aliases of Andy McNab perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        They've made some of them up haven't they? Tom Tugendhat? Tobias Ellwood? Johnny Mercer? Those are all invented names, for sure.
                        I reckon the first two of those were minor characters in Nicholas Nickleby.

The other guy played inside-right at Preston in the 1940s.

Comment

Surprised no Anna Souffley on the list- she suggested on the BBC last night that there should be a government of national unity made up of sensibles (sic) but excluding Corbyn

Comment

Most of those odds are ridiculous - less than 100/1 for names that realistically are more like 1000/1. But John McDonnell at 80/1 looks like a good value long shot.

Comment

No chance of Mr Micawber, Godzilla the Smogmonster or Eden Hazard standing- but if you offer odds some mugs will put money on them. Nice little earner for the bookies

Comment

Tobias Ellwood was the MP who provided medical assistance in the aftermath of an attack on Westminster.

Comment

Can anyone tell me how it would actually be possible for David Miliband (50-1) to become the next Prime Minister?

Comment

The better known Johnny Mercer was a Tin Pan Alley lyricist who won four Oscars for best song.

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
                                      Can anyone tell me how it would actually be possible for David Miliband (50-1) to become the next Prime Minister?
                                      Sudden by-election in a safe seat.

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
                                        Military coup and Trump-installed leadership. Although he'd be more likely to impose Ivanka on us.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          The better known Johnny Mercer was a Tin Pan Alley lyricist who won four Oscars for best song.
                                          He recently featured on the Cryptic Crosswords thread (the Moon River guy, not whoever the unlikely next PM is)

Comment

Moon River would be right up there on my top 10 most hated songs of all time. I dislike most other things about Breakfast at Tiffanys too, including that crappy 90s pop song that referenced it.

Comment

Mercer also wrote Baby it’s Cold Outside

Comment

His was one of the names I had most in mind when making my comment above about ridiculous odds.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                                  Moon River would be right up there on my top 10 most hated songs of all time. I dislike most other things about Breakfast at Tiffanys too, including that crappy 90s pop song that referenced it.
                                                  Oh, God. That song - and the band - occupy a unique circle of hell in my mind. It's populated by a very specific type of American pseudo-college crap-pop that you're amazed still gets made, involving bands with decent technical skills but no ideas. See Train, Deep Blue Something (above), 3 Doors Down, Geggy Tah, etc.

Reed could write this post much better than me, with more examples.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    Mercer also wrote Baby it’s Cold Outside
                                                    That's one of my favorite Xmas pop songs. Also, A Marshmallow World. Pretty much anything Dean Martin sings after December 1st...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X