The Death of Stalin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Death of Stalin

I'm quite excited by Armando Iannucci's new film (which I don't think has started filming yet).

Just what little I know about Stalin's death is fascinating.

Been looking forward to this, anyone seen it yet? The reviews I've read have been generally sniffy:

* it's a bit crass finding comedy in mass killing and state terror

* similarly many of the cast are comic actors hamming it up, eg Palin as Molotov (whose alias means 'Hammer')

* there are too many characters, basically the whole Politburo

* Zhukov is wearing the wrong rank uniform and other continuity errors

* Uncle Volodya won't like it...

Comment

There's a blizzard of four and five star notices cited in the ad on the back of last week's Guardian Guide. Maybe Iannucci's ever garlanded status has attracted an early backlash.

Comment

Hopefully Palin doesn't play Molotov like he did Himmler in the Mr Hilter sketch.

However, I don't get the issue with "comic actors." They are still actors; they have a craft. If they ham it up, it will be because they are being directed badly and not being told to rein it in, which they are perfectly capable of doing.
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-10-2017, 12:31.

Comment

I've just got back from it and thought it excellent. The comedy is constantly placed in contrast to the sheer horror that is going on, and has been going on for twenty years. There is also a lot of stuff put into background or passing shots.

I had some degree of consternation about people laughing along with Beria but I guess he couldn't be the only person without good lines.

Comment

Seen a couple of subtly snide articles about what a good family man one of the main cast is. Seems like newspaper editors think he's absolutely "super".

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed it. I get what people are saying about laughing at horror, but you kinda know what you're getting into when you pays your money and takes your choice.

Jason Isaacs' playing of Marshal Zhukov with a Yorkshire accent was inspired.
              Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 21-10-2017, 23:49.

Comment

I thought it was fantastic. The funniest film I’ve seen all year but incredibly blackly so obviously. There are some genuinely horrific moments and allusions, though they marry up with the comedy surprisingly well.

I thought the cast were excellent, matching the quality of the script (and sensed some improvisation in places) but Simon Russell Beale steals the show amongst the established comic turns.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-10-2017, 21:48.

Comment

I’ve just realised what it reminded me of and one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much - it’s like a very dark, profane Marx Brothers movie. I mean that as very high praise.

Comment

Hoping to see it during the week. Simon Russell Beale was very good as Stalin in a play called Collaborators at the National Theatre a few years ago. That had some very dark humour in it and it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Comment

Just got tickets to go and see it tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it from what I've read and heard about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                        I thought the cast were excellent, matching the quality of the script (and sensed some improvisation in places) but Simon Russell Beale steals the show amongst the established comic turns.
                        Oh, I've never seen or heard him outside of Radio 4. Look forward to that.

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Comment

Get your own words, you clattering fanny*.

*Best insult in the entire thing

Comment

Excellent. Thoroughly worth watching.

Comment

Apropos of this thread, has anyone been listening to Conflict of Doves on R4Extra about the backdrop to the filming of "Olympia" in 1936?

Very similar feel.

Comment

Banned in Russia

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e-until-summer

When they release the film on DVD, I hope they but a sticker saying "The film the Russian Government doesn't want you to see"

Comment

Much as I oppose the censorship, such a sticker doesn’t make it any funnier

Comment

This finally arrived in Germany.

Very good indeed, particularly Buscemi and Simon Russell Beale as Beria. And the cockney Stalin was funny. But Jason Isaacs really does steal the show.

Comment

I'm clearly in a minority here, but I found it really underwhelming and just not very funny at all. So I gave it a second go... and the same. And I both like and (think I) understand Iannuci's type of humour which I expected to fit marvelously with this sort of material. This one just didn't work for me, for reasons I find difficult to grasp.

Comment

This bit of legal jiggery pokery to be holding up pretty well. Pole to pole indeed.

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                                          Seen a couple of subtly snide articles about what a good family man one of the main cast is. Seems like newspaper editors think he's absolutely "super".

Comment

Just saw this on a flight, loved it. There is that inner conflict about laughing at horrific brutality. But these men probably really were ridiculous; it was just collective fear which kept them in power. Wonderful performances but have to agree on Jason Isaacs.

Test your moral compass by your gut reaction to the final section.

Comment

I thought it excellent, and it raised very many smiles but no laughs.

The bit with the little girl - I had that image as a screensaver for a while in the 90s, and in a frame for ages. Had to explain why several times; it’s the juxtaposition of innocence/evil, and its iconic status. So much going on in that photo.

Comment

Janik, you're not the only one. Good acting, finely scripted but not up to the mark. A cross between satire (requiring intelligence) and slapstick (no more than a poke in the eye) that fell flat on both counts.

Comment

Working...
                                                X