The next England manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next England manager

Allardyce is at least open to sports science, new ideas on training, coaching badges and courses and studying what works for other coaches, exactly what ian.64 bemoaned the lack of in English managers. In fact he sets great store on that sort of thing.
    And despite that his teams still play a modern version of POMO. Which would likely have led to his eventual failure, even if hadn't taken a 12-bore to his own feet within seconds of getting the job.

Roy Hodgson also fails to fit with ian's description of the problems with English coaches. As does Steve McLaren, for that matter. In fact I'm thinking that ian's rant, however well written and gleefully splenetic, might just be stereotyping as badly as the stereotyping it is purporting to criticise.

Comment

The next England manager

Reading back, I'm conflating ian's original post and Your Usual Table's positive response to it. Though ian did endorse that follow up.

Comment

The next England manager

There’s a bit of a narrative about Midlander Allardyce where he’s seen an unreconstructed Northern long ball merchant, even though the truth is more nuanced, re the sports science stuff and that he’s an archetypal flash Southerner on the make as the world can now see.

But, I’ve always found him disagreeable because his Bolton side always seemed to play their games against Boro using twin strategies of time-wasting from kick-off and rotational bookings.

Comment

The next England manager

Janik, I may have fallen into that trap a little, but my initial complaint still stands. Allardyce may have honestly embraced the sciences available to him, but, along with Hodgson and McClaren, a certain mentality to utilise them to genuine effect is either lacking or not there at all. In the case of Allardyce, I get the feeling that it's a case of him showing off a little to the wider world how far ahead of the game he is technically than others. He and the afore-mentioned bosses seem to have a ceiling on their abilities that doesn't encourage development no matter how modernistic and accomplished the tools available to them are.

If Wenger works this way, then it's his mentality that's much more adept and sophisticated to embrace them. If he doesn't altogether rely on them then it speaks volumes for the way he works.

Allardyce may hold honest store with today's footballing logistic wonders, but it's a bit like giving someone the most fabulous artists' equipment and ending up with a painting no better than a school-leaver's efforts. Once again, thinking and mentality is key.

Comment

The next England manager

Your Usual Table wrote: You've named two English managers out of the plethora who have taken jobs since both Hodgson and McClaren started their coaching careers. Off the top of the head I could counter those examples with Graham Taylor, Neil Warnock, John Beck, John Gregory, Harry Redknapp, Alan Curbishley and Bryan Robson.
            Janik has named the only other two English managers who have managed England in the last 15 years though.

Comment

The next England manager

Your Usual Table wrote: None of them have innovated to the extent that managers like Guardiola or Klopp have.
              You'd think now would be the perfect time for someone at the FA to pick some brains now that both of those are working in the English system.

Comment

Working...
              X