So, so far then, then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, so far then, then

Countries in which I've lived currently running at a balanced: 2 wins, 1 draw, 2 defeats

Countries I have not been to: 0 wins 2 draws 2 defeats

(Additions to be made to each list today - list 1 Portugal, list 2 Iceland)

Comment

So, so far then, then

There haven't really been any stinkers yet. Normally in the first four days of a tournament there's one or two that are unwatchable. Most have at least piqued interest.

Though no classics yet either.

Comment

So, so far then, then

tee rex wrote: OK, 1996 was a worse start. Funny how a 4-1 game repeated a hundred times blocks out a dozen others.
        There was also the 3-3 draw between Russia and the Czechs which eliminated Italy in the group deciders.

Fair point, otherwise: the entire knockout stage produced only nine goals.

Comment

So, so far then, then

You know what else there's been too much of at these finals, apart from strikers directing their goal-efforts straight at the 'keeper - too many strikers getting off shots when they know a defender is going to get a block in. It's like they'd rather just rely on perhaps getting a lucky rebound than they would do something clever like feign a shot and take another touch of the ball.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Every team that has fielded a Juventus player has won so far.

Six from Six

Comment

So, so far then, then

Rogin le fan du fauteuil wrote: This tournament has been a bit reminiscent of Euro 96, so far, right down to France beating Romania and Croatia beating Turkey in the opening round of games.
              It's very reminiscient of it for me personally because I'm aware its happening and sort of interested in it, but I haven't seen a single second of it because I don't have cable. In 96, I was in graduate school with no TV and only a few of the matches were on TV in the US. It was the first time I recall the Euro championships getting any coverage whatsoever in the US press.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Germany / Spain

France / Croatia / Italy

Switzerland / Wales / England / Poland / Sweden / Hungary / Portugal / Iceland

Romania / Slovakia / Russia / Ukraine / Turkey / Czech Republic / Republic of Ireland / Belgium / Austria

Albania / Northern Ireland

Comment

So, so far then, then

Lodzubelieveit wrote: *****
                  Germany / Spain

France / Croatia / Italy

Romania / Slovakia / Russia / Ukraine / Turkey / Czech Republic / Republic of Ireland / Belgium / Austria

Curious why you've the Republic below Sweden when they dominated the game for a good 50 minutes and created more chances - otherwise, carry on.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Cristiano Ronaldo's "what do you MEAN, mummy, I haven't won?" face at the final whistle there was by about a million candlelight the highlight of the entire first round of games.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Curious why you've the Republic below Sweden when they dominated the game for a good 50 minutes and created more chances - otherwise, carry on.
                      I think there's more potential for improvement in Sweden.

My ratings combined the objective result obtained and my subjective feeling about their potential.

Comment

So, so far then, then

ursus arctos wrote: Albania, Czechia and Slovakia were all members of the Warsaw Pact, but Croatia was not.

That said, a good portion of the country that now plays as "Germany" was also a member.
                        I thought Albania left the Soviet sphere of influence in 1956 after the invasion of Hungary to join China and become a Maoist state.

Comment

So, so far then, then

They didn't leave the Warsaw Pact until 1968.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Germany / Spain

France / Croatia / Italy

Spearman's R of 0.905 with the Guardian power rankings. Sign me up.

Comment

So, so far then, then

ursus arctos wrote: They didn't leave the Warsaw Pact until 1968.
                              I stand corrected UA, I should have known better than to doubt you. Winky thing.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Something's going wrong. 84 mins of Italy-Sweden until a shot by either team on goal. It was over 80 minutes in the France-Albania game too, wasn't it?

Comment

So, so far then, then

Teams that win their first game don't need to win their 2nd. Teams that lose their first game remain clueless in their 2nd. Result: stalemate.

This was predicted though on OTF back when the tournament was expanded.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Yeah. Yeah, I know. Just... checking.

Comment

So, so far then, then

After a light flurry of matches with two goals or more brought the goal average up to 2,00 before last night's match, we're back to 1,84.

This really is not a terribly good tourament so far.

Comment

So, so far then, then

By general consensus there have been six very poor sides to date, i.e. 25% of the total. That's too many. In the past the average was arguably three poor teams a tournament.

Comment

So, so far then, then

Notice of disciplinary meeting

Date 19th June 2016

Dear Euro 2016

I am writing to tell you that you are required to attend a disciplinary meeting on 20th June 2016 which is to be held in my house from 2pm onwards.

At this meeting the question of disciplinary action against you, in accordance with the Footballing Entertainment Disciplinary Procedure, will be considered with regard to:

Repeatedly dismal, yawn inducing, arse scratching first round matches.

I enclose the following documents:

Video evidence of 90% of the matches so far.

The possible consequences arising from this meeting might be:

That unless finger is pulled out of arse immediately, I will be forced to give up on this shitshow.

You are entitled, if you wish, to be accompanied by another work colleague, trade union representative.

Yours sincerely

Signed

G. de ste Croix.

General Manager of the house remote control, unless the kids are home.

Comment

So, so far then, then

These stats don't lie:

Euro 2016 average goals per game so far: 1.96 (47 goals in 24 games).

Copa America 2016 average goals per game in so far: 3.0 (84 goals in 28 games).

I hope the Copa sticks to a 16-team format with countries from North and Central America (with a qualifying tournament). There's been some fine attacking football played, and several really good games.

Comment

So, so far then, then

I wouldn't call it awful so far. But the lack of goals is becoming chronic and some of the refereeing is distorting the competition (Rizzoli and Cuneyt Cakir yesterday, Velasco during Switzerland-Albania, Oddvar Moen during Wales-Slovakia, Eriksson during Croatia-Turkey et al).

It might turn out to be another Euro 92, where the first two rounds of matches were pretty boring but everything began exploding at the end of the group stage.

Comment

So, so far then, then

There may be a lack of goals but I've seen almost all the matches and only suffered one real stinker yet - Germany v Poland ( my view of England v Wales is probably different from those watching it with some perspective, mind). Normally by now you will have had more than that.

The overall quality of teams/games seems to be compressing as it is in a lot of facets of European football. I'm not sure the seven/eight goal drubbings in the Copa America (there have been a few, no? I've barely been able to keep up with it) are really preferable to some of the tight 1-1 matches we've had in the Euros.

Comment

So, so far then, then

It's pretty poor that we're nearly half way through the tournament and the highest scoring game is a 2-2. But the games have largely been bright enough to at least stick with them. It's not (yet) been unwatchably awful in the way that the 2010 World Cup was.

Comment

So, so far then, then

I'm not sure the seven-eight goal drubbings in the Copa America (there have been a few, no? I've barely been able to keep up with it) are really preferable to some of the tight 1-1 matches we've had in the Euros.
                                                    I've just seen the Mexico result from last night. Jesus christ.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X