Ed Sheeran Plagiarism Claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For some reason, The Young Folk (T) have been buying into this empty sh*t in a big way for some good while now. It seems that every few months, some new hipstery-type bloke emerges out of the soil with something even blander and more workaday than that of the previous - and the hordes just close their already comatose eyes and ears and buy into it.

Ambition and art are dead in popland - and never was a grassroots revolution more desperately needed than it is now.

Comment

He's alright, and compared to the stuff James Blunt kicked out, it's almost fantastic.
      It appeals to the pretending to be dissafected yoof (who are too old to be yoof), coach surfing (yes it is a thing, with web sites set up now) around mates flats, although they all own houses.

It's just a phase.

Hardly worth claiming the world has gone to hell in a handcart about.

The world can't all listen to Kajagoogoo for ever you know daddio..

Comment

For years I've been looking for an excuse to start a thread called Ed Sheeran's Weak...

Comment

I've been subjected to the last Ed Sheeran album on a loop by one of my colleagues in her car, it is indeed shit on a stick from beginning to end.

Said colleague is well into her thirties, so in addition to the youths of today, I think he's also captured the coveted 'people who don't really care about music' demographic, and god knows there are plenty of those around.

Comment

1) He is rather like a composite of every white male singer who's won Pop Idol, X Factor and American Idol. That geeky, non-threatening singer of quirky faux-folk ballads goes a long way in those shows. And you can download it from your bedroom without having to brave ridicule in a record store.

2) Is it because he is white? I mean, is he basically filling a niche for people who find any black-inflected music too challenging?

3) There are some precedents from the 70s, such as James Taylor or Gilbert O'Sullivan, although both of those are like Lou Reed compared to Sheeran.

Comment

There are precedents from Pat Boone onward, to be honest. It's reasonably pleasant music for people who perhaps don't rate 'challenging' music high on their list of priorities.

We have this discussion around our house fairly regularly. L likes guys with guitars who stand there and sing songs with lyrics you can learn and recall. And that's pretty much all she listens to. Me, I'm the 'weird music' guy; Kraftwerk, The Fall, Fucked Up, Captain Beefheart, prog-era Genesis, or whatever else.

The kids have asked 'why?' and I explain that I like music that offers something new, or surprises me, or challenges me, or makes me slightly uncomfortable so that I have to think about my reception of it.

But, I mean, that's way more thought than many people want to give it.

Comment

We came from a generation that was spoiled by having music in the charts that stretched the brain cells a bit. In most generations it does not happen. Maybe we should ask why the era circa 1966-1980 produced chart acts that weren't happy just to dole out fodder.

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: I had a eureka moment a couple of weeks ago when I realised that 'Panic' by The Smiths is a complete rip off of T Rex's 'Metal Guru'.

As you were.
                  Fucking hell so it does. Now it seems obvious, the riff, the vocal cadence, only took thirty years and OTF's premier Marxist, now I'll never unhear it.

Comment

As a daywalking ginga lacking visible sex appeal myself I should maybe be on Sheeran's side but he's just so insipid. I remember catching him on some awful Arthur's day tv special years ago, was fucking laughable. Now he's Ginger Jesus.

Bet he's a fucking Tory as well.

Comment

Lang Spoon wrote: Bet he's a fucking Tory as well.
                      He dedicated a song to David Cameron...

Comment

VTTBoscombe wrote: He's alright, and compared to the stuff James Blunt kicked out, it's almost fantastic.
                        It appeals to the pretending to be dissafected yoof (who are too old to be yoof), coach surfing (yes it is a thing, with web sites set up now) around mates flats, although they all own houses.

It's just a phase.

Hardly worth claiming the world has gone to hell in a handcart about.

The world can't all listen to Kajagoogoo for ever you know daddio..
                        There's so much in this post that makes no sense to me that I'm not sure how to reply to it. (What is 'coach surfing' and how is it relevant to this thread? Errm, 'Kajagoogoo'??)

If it's a 'phase', it's gone on far too long. The state of the industry since Pop Idol/X Factor and the like became the focal point for young would-be musicians' ambitions is, in my opinion, most definitely 'worth claiming the world has gone to hell in a handcart about' - but I've done that before on these pages, so...

However, people like Sheeran and Smith and their production-line ballads are, as Satchmo's earlier post suggests, a direct result of this. (Using Blunt as any kind of point of reference isn't going to get one very far, to be honest.) Nobody's suggesting that ballads or gentle pop shouldn't exist - that would be ridiculous - but all this stuff seems so generic, so ersatz and so lacking in genuine soul that one can only feel that the kids - and, as Fussbudget says, older people with no musical interest/imagination - deserve better. (Yes - even the unambitious 'deserve better' than this.)

Adele clearly has talent, but she now seems to be revealing herself as the vanguard for this 'one size fits all' neo-troubadourism where repetitive technique and empty box-ticking replace genuine songwriting craft. People like Sheeran are then taking it to the nth degree by churning out sterile 'product' that could be about anybody or anything, nobody or nothing.

I mean, even the likes of Leo Sayer (and the aforementioned Taylor and O'Sullivan) had a few stories up their sleeves. But this isn't - and never has been - a 'back in my day'-type routine. Where's the wit? Where's the craft? Ballad-writing should be more than just the empty idiot's game it is in danger of becoming. Anyway, rant over.

Comment

Think he meant "couch surfing".

Comment

I think you could be right.

Comment

People associated with Marvin Gaye continue their effort to kill music.

If you can sue someone for having the same drumbeat music is in ruins. We will be on to using the same chord at the start of a four chord sequence soon.

Comment

Yeah, I hate to say it but I'm on Sheeran's side there. Or more to the point, dglh's, as a beat really is a particularly tricky thing to claim a copyright on (unless perhaps it's in a weird time signature). And I say that as someone who struggled to keep a straight face past the 'Will your mouth still remember the taste of my love?' line about five seconds into Sheeran's song.

Honestly though, what is it with these charisma-and-talent-free people seemingly wanting to sound like Marvin Gaye? If you had Robin Thicke's level of talent and sex appeal is that really a comparison you'd actively want to invite? Yet the answer appears to be yes.

Comment

I had a eureka moment a couple of weeks ago when I realised that 'Panic' by The Smiths is a complete rip off of T Rex's 'Metal Guru'.

As you were.
                                  Another Smiths one- 'Ask' has always reminded me big time of 'Boys of Summer'.

Comment

Borracho wrote: Ed Sheeran has nothing as far as I can tell. He reminds me of the lovelorn blond bloke in Dawson's Creek who was forever in the friend zone. Actually, perhaps I've just answered my own question.
                                    Nah, actually the girls sighed for his witty loser-with-a-heart-of-gold pal Pacey. Which makes Sheehan's success even more baffling.

I only know this because my sister watched it. Really.

Comment

Borracho wrote: A more interesting question is how Ed Sheeran has got so big.

This guy, who has no visible sex appeal or real presence, and whose music is pitched somewhere between James Morrison and a street busker, played to 160,000 people over two nights at Croke Park last year. I remember being horrified when Michael Buble sold out the 50,000-capacity Aviva in 2010. Buble is Miles Davis compared to this guy.

Why does he do so well commercially? Is it all just down to fiendishly good marketing? Because on the face of it, it seems amazing that so many teens and twentysomethings are desperate to go along and see this charisma-free zone play a succession of really weak, obvious, boring songs.
                                      Hmm, I can understand Michael buble though. He's very funny, the ladies love him, he covers established songs rather than inflicting his own (by and large) and he'd be a great lad to go for a pint with. The Aviva would have been full of middle aged women on a night out, hammered on wine and vodka

This whole ed sheeran thing is an utter mystery to me.

Comment

Oh and Pacey. There was a guy I knew back in college, a contemporary of garcia, Toro and myself. He was a bit of a prick. A smug fucker who seemed to have a bit of badness in him. Anyway he was going out with a really good looking girl, a couple of years behind him, and for some reason (maybe they saw it on friends) but he came up with a list of famous people that they could hypothetically sleep with outside of the relationship... His list is lost to the mists of time.

Hers however included pacey, and you'll never guess who turned up to do a public interview in the college.... And you'll never guess what happened next..

She showed up three Days later. I found myself crossing the road to make sure that I got to say hello to a guy I'd normally cross the street to avoid. I wasn't the only one. It was hilarious.

Comment

Who the hell's Pacey?

Comment

The guy from dawson's Creek that they were talking about on the previous page. Josh something or other

Comment

Oh, okay. Thanks. I thought it was one of those UK-type nicknames you lot use when you all know who you're talking about. Like Shakey or whatever.

Comment

Joshua Jackson. Was in Fringe.

Comment

I've never knowingly heard a note of Ed Sheehan, but my younger daughter idolizes him. What can I say, she's a teenager, and whatever bollocks Ed's singing and composing, it can't be any worse than a thread of old farts like us castigating the Youth of Today for not knowing the genius of Miles and more.

I've played my younger daughter the genius of Miles. Guess what, she's just not fucking interested.

Comment

I quite like his voice. I've not heard much of his stuff, it didn't seem like much to get excited about. But I am quite L in my musical tastes. And I don't really care about music.

Pacey was hot.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X