Former Wimbledon FC bastards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it time yet for everyone to admit that Liverpool threw the 1988 Cup final?

Comment

Gagey and MARCUS FUCKING GAYLE both RT'd me on the twitters this week.

Comment

Rogin le fan du fauteuil wrote: Is it time yet for everyone to admit that Liverpool threw the 1988 Cup final?
        Hush, goose.

Comment

Terry Eames (though more for AFC shenanigans).

John F'sh-Anu, obviously.

Comment

nmrrenard wrote: Fashanu for ending John O'Neills career when he made his debut for Norwich.
            This. I have never seen any footage of the incident but I'm not even aware if Fashanu was booked. Various accounts suggest it was a shocker.

Comment

Egil Olsen. Nowt to do with his Wimbledon days but because of that utter pile of steaming excrement which was his Norway side of the 1990's. Effective, but an utter pile of steaming excrement nonetheless.

Comment

All true, but if they hadn't been so eye-gougingly awful for so long then Alfonso's goal at Euro 2000 wouldn't have been nearly as funny.

Michael Hughes wasn't nearly so much of a dickhead as Fashanu, Jones, Sanchez et al, but he could be a proper nasty little shite when the mood took him - I saw him leave his foot in unneccessarily at least once in every game I saw him play live.

Comment

As I always say when his name comes up - Michael Hughes committed one of the all-time cunt's challenges I have ever seen live when he tried to snap Robbie Savage*'s leg in the 2004 Wales v NI qualifier.

* I know, I know - even allowing for what Savage was then and was later to become, it was a despicable foul.

Comment

Lang Spoon wrote: John F'sh-Anu, obviously.
                    Had to be done:
                    https://[video=youtube_share;xLuaqNo...?v=xLuaqNoxjro[/video]
                    EDIT: Hang on, I had in my head that they used the less common pronunciation on The Day Today.

I blame the ibuprofen I'm taking for this toothache.

Comment

Eh? I was trying to type the way Morris says Football Candyman at the end. Don't say there is a third way to pronounce the Fash?

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

Bury needed to beat already-promoted Wimbledon on the last day of 82/83 and hope that Scunthorpe lost to Chester to guarantee promotion to Division Three. We blew it, losing 3-1.

Manager Jim Iley heard incorrectly that Scunthorpe were losing even when Bury were and embarked on a touchline jig in the drizzle. Elton Welsby was doing updates from the dugout and apparently had his producer shouting "WHAT THE FUCK IS HE DOING?" down his ear.

Footage here, from the day my book begins. If Bury had gone up, Martin Dobson wouldn't have arrived the following season and Eric Potts and Tommy Gore would have stayed at Gigg rather than Leighton James and Trevor Ross arriving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H03tfy2MmwA

In answer to the thread title too:

1. Paul Fishenden
                        2. Stuart Evans
                        3. Dave Beasant
                        4. Gary Peters
                        5. John Leslie

Ordinarily I'd have said Wally Downes too, but he went on to be a coach at Bury in the 90s and was an all-round good egg when at the club.

Result apart, I bloody love that footage. The Main Stand looks huge.
                        I may have missed this at the time. John Leslie? That's impressive.

(Seems I didn't miss it at the time Still impressive.)
                        Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 16-03-2023, 23:05.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Come on people, explain, explain, that's where the real fun is.

Dario Gradi? Really?
                          This didn't age well...

Comment

Someone said John Scales though. I am not having that. He's a lovely man.

Comment

John Scales was a fine player in a Liverpool side who just never lived up to their potential.

Comment

Yeah he was a fine player too.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

Had to be done:
                                  https://[video=youtube_share;xLuaqNo...?v=xLuaqNoxjro[/video]
                                  EDIT: Hang on, I had in my head that they used the less common pronunciation on The Day Today.

I blame the ibuprofen I'm taking for this toothache.
                                  Since the link has broken in the seven years since:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLua...b_channel=GMoo

Comment

Former Wimbledon bastards - Buster Mottram

Fash

Comment

Working...
                                    X