Former Wimbledon FC bastards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trois Fois Un Rouge wrote: Bobby Gould. Leyton Orient. Turkey. Tunisia. 7-1...
    We didn't start the fire...

Comment

Trois Fois Un Rouge wrote: Bobby Gould. Leyton Orient. Turkey. Tunisia. 7-1. I still get nervous twitches just thinking about the second half of the 90s.
      With Vinnie Jones emblematic of that era on the pitch too, which is one of the main reasons why both he and Gould are immensely problematic for me.

Comment

Giggler wrote: Bury needed to beat already-promoted Wimbledon on the last day of 82/83 and hope that Scunthorpe lost to Chester to guarantee promotion to Division Three. We blew it, losing 3-1.

Manager Jim Iley heard incorrectly that Scunthorpe were losing even when Bury were and embarked on a touchline jig in the drizzle. Elton Welsby was doing updates from the dugout and apparently had his producer shouting "WHAT THE FUCK IS HE DOING?" down his ear.
        I remember that day, as I was at the other match, a game I remember for a couple of reasons, one was the torrential downpour just before Scunthorpe scored the winner after the ball skidded under Grenville Millington (playing his last game for Chester) and the other was the pitch invasion from the away end which was led by a clown. I can't recall if he had big feet though.

Comment

I remember abusing John Hartson terribly during a 99/00 Wimbledon v Cardiff League Cup tie that we lost 3-1.

As ever when the game meant too much for him personally he played terribly and missed a penalty (I think we were 0-1 up at the time) which really upset him and his game just plummeted further.

I loved the big galloot though and was already an occasional visitor to watch the Dons by then though so...none of this really belongs in this thread.

Sorry.

Comment

Côte-a wrote: Grenville Millington
            What century was this?

Comment

No (lack of) love for Bobby Gould?

EDIT: Ah, didn't realise there was a second page.

Comment

Yes, from me and Three Colours Red or whatever upthread.

Edit : as you were, cross-post.

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote:
                  Originally posted by Côte-a
                  Grenville Millington
                  What century was this?
                  Ah - Gren was my manager at Connah's Quay Nomads for a season. Lovely man.

Comment

Sean du Cabanon wrote: Bulgaria - Irascible gruff old bastard of a manager like a cross between Shankley and Ferguson with a mad-eyed stare like Ron Mael.

Tomsk - Proper hard cunt, always playing the man. Terry Hurlock with a snout.

Wellington - nasty little fucker who somehow gained a reputation for being smart because he would say stuff that sounded intelligent and profound. Like a litter picking Joey Barton.

Bungo - overenthusiastic and somewhat limited, enhancing his reputation with a lot of pointing and fist-clenching PASSION!!! A short hairy Scotty Parker in a Burberry cap.

Cholet - diving, cheating, sneaky twat. Typical of your continentals back in the seventies.
                    Delighted to see you gave a pass to Tobermory and Orinoco.

Comment

Come on people, explain, explain, that's where the real fun is.

Dario Gradi? Really?

Comment

Quick interjection to say that Dario Gradi is well cute.

I return you to the Arts.

Comment

Côte-a wrote:
                          Originally posted by Giggler
                          Bury needed to beat already-promoted Wimbledon on the last day of 82/83 and hope that Scunthorpe lost to Chester to guarantee promotion to Division Three. We blew it, losing 3-1.

Manager Jim Iley heard incorrectly that Scunthorpe were losing even when Bury were and embarked on a touchline jig in the drizzle. Elton Welsby was doing updates from the dugout and apparently had his producer shouting "WHAT THE FUCK IS HE DOING?" down his ear.
                          I remember that day, as I was at the other match, a game I remember for a couple of reasons, one was the torrential downpour just before Scunthorpe scored the winner after the ball skidded under Grenville Millington (playing his last game for Chester) and the other was the pitch invasion from the away end which was led by a clown. I can't recall if he had big feet though.
                          Quite the day overall, really. David Pleat did his dance of delight on the Maine Road pitch and there were astonishing scenes at the Baseball Ground as the crowd encroached onto the pitch while the game against Fulham was in progress.

Comment

With reasons for Tonton

1. Wise. Clearly the most horrible little shit to ever walk a professional football field. Niggly, dirty, just fucking obnoxious all round. Christ he was (and I imagine still is) a cunt.
                            2. Winterburn. To be honest I'd forgotten he ever played for Wimbledon, but he was a dickhead anyway. Funniest moment when we he ran up to laugh at Di Canio after he'd pushed Alcock over - Di Canio turned round to look at him and Winterburn ran away like a terrified puppy. Best thing that can be said about him was that in the Arsenal defence he wasn't quite as much of a cunt as Keown and Bould
                            3. Mulcaire. Never saw him play (well, I might have, I did go to an early AFCW game), but obviously his role in the phone hacking stuff puts him well up there (and only making 3rd place demonstrates how bad 1 and 2 actually were)
                            4. Harry "Harry" Bassett. Cunt. Blade. Cockney wanker archetype

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote:
                              Originally posted by Trois Fois Un Rouge
                              Bobby Gould. Leyton Orient. Turkey. Tunisia. 7-1. I still get nervous twitches just thinking about the second half of the 90s.
                              With Vinnie Jones emblematic of that era on the pitch too, which is one of the main reasons why both he and Gould are immensely problematic for me.
                              Of course I could have mentioned Vinnie but on a Wimbledon bastard thread, his name was more or less a given.

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote: I would nominate the significant number of complete bell ends who watched AFC Wimbledon in their Combined Counties days.

Any sort of humility or thankfulness for the support the league had given them, was never evident, as instead hubris was the order of the day as they gave it the big one at such luminaries as Chipstead or Viking Greenford.

It was comical to see them having hissy fits on the league forums as it became apparent that they were only going to finish third and hence couldn't get promoted.

And whilst it wasn't nice for the more tolerable supporters who got involved, there were a few wry smiles when they finally met some hostility at Wallingford.

Then came about the Kingsmeadow saga and them willingly giving Khosla easy money.

I can't say I've any antipathy for AFC Wimbledon, but I certainly don't share this unbridled affection that neutrals are meant to have for them.
                                See also that dick in a straw hat, who looked like he'd escaped from a Shoreditch-y, served-in-a-glass-with-ice cider advert, who was photographed crowd-surfing at the first leg of the play-offs.

Comment

Neil Ardley — well-known satanist
                                  Chris Perry — regularly parks in disabled spaces
                                  Řyvind Leonhardsen — three-times winner of annual Norway's Biggest Cunt prize

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                    Řyvind Leonhardsen — three-times winner of annual Norway's Biggest Cunt prize
                                    Beating Anders Breivik for top slot, too. Not a bad effort.

Comment

Kevchenkeau wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Sean du Cabanon
                                      Bulgaria - Irascible gruff old bastard of a manager like a cross between Shankley and Ferguson with a mad-eyed stare like Ron Mael.

Wellington - nasty little fucker who somehow gained a reputation for being smart because he would say stuff that sounded intelligent and profound. Like a litter picking Joey Barton.

Bungo - overenthusiastic and somewhat limited, enhancing his reputation with a lot of pointing and fist-clenching PASSION!!! A short hairy Scotty Parker in a Burberry cap.

Cholet - diving, cheating, sneaky twat. Typical of your continentals back in the seventies
                                      Delighted to see you gave a pass to Tobermory and Orinoco
                                      Orinoco was a lazy f***er who could never be arsed tracking back. Typical Le Tissier type, one moment of languid brilliance then and anonymous for the rest of the game. How they managed to offload him to Chelsea for six and a half million in 1998 I don't understand. Still, he did enjoy that brief but fruitful partnership with Tore André Flo.

The amount of times that team were carried by Tobermory is ridiculous. His hard work, reliability and tactical pragmatism saw them through so many games.

Comment

Sean du Cabanon wrote: Bungo - overenthusiastic and somewhat limited, enhancing his reputation with a lot of pointing and fist-clenching PASSION!!! A short hairy Scotty Parker in a Burberry cap
                                        And there was all that nonsense with wads of cash in brown envelopes.

Comment

Sean du Cabanon wrote: Orinoco was a lazy f***er who could never be arsed tracking back...How they managed to offload him to Chelsea for six and a half million in 1998 I don't understand. Still, he did enjoy that brief but fruitful partnership with Tore André Flo
                                          In Dennis Wise's defence, unlike most top level pros he seemed to actually enjoy playing.

Comment

Marcel Mumpeau wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Kevchenkeau
                                            Bulgaria - Irascible gruff old bastard of a manager like a cross between Shankley and Ferguson with a mad-eyed stare like Ron Mael.

Cholet - diving, cheating, sneaky twat. Typical of your continentals back in the seventies
                                            Delighted to see you gave a pass to Tobermory and Orinoco
                                            Orinoco was a lazy f***er who could never be arsed tracking back. Typical Le Tissier type, one moment of languid brilliance then and anonymous for the rest of the game. How they managed to offload him to Chelsea for six and a half million in 1998 I don't understand. Still, he did enjoy that brief but fruitful partnership with Tore André Flo.

The amount of times that team were carried by Tobermory is ridiculous. His hard work, reliability and tactical pragmatism saw them through so many games.
                                            Orinoco certainly lacked the energy of Alderney, for sure. She was more like the team's maestro, a Hoddle-type, but like Glenn her talent and vision were undermined by her unorthodox thinking.

Comment

Dunkerque- Gare de Nord wrote:
                                              Orinoco was a lazy f***er who could never be arsed tracking back...How they managed to offload him to Chelsea for six and a half million in 1998 I don't understand. Still, he did enjoy that brief but fruitful partnership with Tore André Flo
                                              In Dennis Wise's defence, unlike most top level pros he seemed to actually enjoy playing.
                                              The one time I get credited for a joke and it wasn't even mine. Hmmph!

Comment

Giggler wrote:

See also that dick in a straw hat, who looked like he'd escaped from a Shoreditch-y, served-in-a-glass-with-ice cider advert, who was photographed crowd-surfing at the first leg of the play-offs.
                                                Whenever I see that chap at games I think he's got lost on the way to Dulwich Hamlet. He often does that thing of turning away from looking at the game with fists clenched, eyes bulging and screaming at the rest of the crowd to do something or other when they are happy grumbling away.

More importantly, cider with ice is perfectly acceptable when the alternative is warm cider, surely?

Comment

Dunkerque- Gare de Nord wrote: In Dennis Wise's defence
                                                  Down with this sort of thing.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote:
                                                    Originally posted by Giggler

Whenever I see that chap at games I think he's got lost on the way to Dulwich Hamlet. He often does that thing of turning away from looking at the game with fists clenched, eyes bulging and screaming at the rest of the crowd to do something or other when they are happy grumbling away.

More importantly, cider with ice is perfectly acceptable when the alternative is warm cider, surely?

Cider with ice only seems to have become A Thing since about 2008, hasn't it? The great Magners/Gaymers stand-off?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X