Former Wimbledon FC bastards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prompted by the playoff thread, who are your top 5 bastards who've played for Wimbledon FC?

1. John Fashanu
    2. Nigel Winterburn
    3. Dennis Wise
    4. Glenn Mulcaire
    5=. Lawrie Sanchez, Ben Thatcher

A cheat, I know, but I couldn't separate them.

Do you mean as footballers or as people?

Comment

Either or, Stumpy. This is OUR thread, not MY thread. Throw ideas, make them stick.

Comment

Winterburn was greatly underrated as a shithouse. He was once accused of mocking a group of disabled Wednesday fans after a game at Highbury in the mid 90's.

Comment

George wrote: Winterburn was greatly underrated as a shithouse. He was once accused of mocking a group of disabled Wednesday fans after a game at Highbury in the mid 90's.
          He's a terrible bastard and I hated every minute he played.

edit - Except this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebSRjIBxFNE

Comment

Why do people hate Nigel Nigel?

Comment

Impressive that Vincent Jones didn't make it in your list. Unless you just left him out to piss him off.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: Impressive that Vincent Jones didn't make it in your list. Unless you just left him out to piss him off.
                Pantomime villain. He never really bothered me.

Comment

WHY DO YOU HATE NIGEL NIGEL?

Comment

TonTon wrote: WHY DO YOU HATE NIGEL NIGEL?
                    He's a snide, dirty piece of Arsenal shit. Who played for Wimbledon.

Comment

You don't remember him playing for us though do you?

Comment

Nah. Guilty by association.

Comment

Fashanu Jones and Wise sort of go without saying. Can I suggest the dirty but often overlooked Carlton Fairweather? And Alan Cork, who played for about thirty five years and ended up looking like the bloke out of Fingerbobs, for no other reason than his 120th minute winner in a Cup third round replay against Villa at Plough Lane. Freezing cold night in early January, gale force wind, pissed down throughout- no roof on the away terrace obviously- waterlogged pitch, terrible game- hardly a surprise, games against Wimbledon were invariably dire and ended 0-0 or 1-0 even in decent conditions- and then Cork gets a winner in the last minute from a through ball that bounced awkwardly in the icy midden that passed for a pitch, bamboozling our defence. On the up side we'd already lost the toss for venue of the second replay, so at least we didn't have to go through it all again the following week.

Comment

I'm going to nominate John Kay.

I have my own obscure reasons.

Comment

Bury needed to beat already-promoted Wimbledon on the last day of 82/83 and hope that Scunthorpe lost to Chester to guarantee promotion to Division Three. We blew it, losing 3-1.

Manager Jim Iley heard incorrectly that Scunthorpe were losing even when Bury were and embarked on a touchline jig in the drizzle. Elton Welsby was doing updates from the dugout and apparently had his producer shouting "WHAT THE FUCK IS HE DOING?" down his ear.

Footage here, from the day my book begins. If Bury had gone up, Martin Dobson wouldn't have arrived the following season and Eric Potts and Tommy Gore would have stayed at Gigg rather than Leighton James and Trevor Ross arriving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H03tfy2MmwA

In answer to the thread title too:

1. Paul Fishenden
                              2. Stuart Evans
                              3. Dave Beasant
                              4. Gary Peters
                              5. John Leslie

Ordinarily I'd have said Wally Downes too, but he went on to be a coach at Bury in the 90s and was an all-round good egg when at the club.

Result apart, I bloody love that footage. The Main Stand looks huge.

Comment

Bulgaria - Irascible gruff old bastard of a manager like a cross between Shankley and Ferguson with a mad-eyed stare like Ron Mael.

Tomsk - Proper hard cunt, always playing the man. Terry Hurlock with a snout.

Wellington - nasty little fucker who somehow gained a reputation for being smart because he would say stuff that sounded intelligent and profound. Like a litter picking Joey Barton.

Bungo - overenthusiastic and somewhat limited, enhancing his reputation with a lot of pointing and fist-clenching PASSION!!! A short hairy Scotty Parker in a Burberry cap.

Cholet - diving, cheating, sneaky twat. Typical of your continentals back in the seventies.

Comment

1974ddr wrote: looking like the bloke out of Fingerbobs, for no other reason than his 120th minute winner in a Cup third round replay against Villa at Plough Lane. Freezing cold night in early January, gale force wind, pissed down throughout- no roof on the away terrace obviously- waterlogged pitch, terrible game- hardly a surprise, games against Wimbledon were invariably dire and ended 0-0 or 1-0 even in decent conditions- and then Cork gets a winner in the last minute from a through ball that bounced awkwardly in the icy midden that passed for a pitch, bamboozling our defence.
                                  Ooh there's a memory. We decided to go to that one simply to see a game. We were in the home end but couldn't get any further back than just about under the edge of the roof so we got alternately wet or sheltered, but mostly wet, depending on the direction of the gale. After about 10 minutes it was obviously dire, and one mate pointed out that it could go to extra time. He still talks about it.

Comment

We need reasons. That's a fine list, Giggler.

Comment

TonTon wrote: We need reasons. That's a fine list, Giggler.
                                      I'm typing this through gritted teeth, but cheers.

Comment

Fashanu for ending John O'Neills career when he made his debut for Norwich.

Comment

I would nominate the significant number of complete bell ends who watched AFC Wimbledon in their Combined Counties days.

Any sort of humility or thankfulness for the support the league had given them, was never evident, as instead hubris was the order of the day as they gave it the big one at such luminaries as Chipstead or Viking Greenford.

It was comical to see them having hissy fits on the league forums as it became apparent that they were only going to finish third and hence couldn't get promoted.

And whilst it wasn't nice for the more tolerable supporters who got involved, there were a few wry smiles when they finally met some hostility at Wallingford.

Then came about the Kingsmeadow saga and them willingly giving Khosla easy money.

I can't say I've any antipathy for AFC Wimbledon, but I certainly don't share this unbridled affection that neutrals are meant to have for them.

Comment

Fuck affection. I've no affection for the team, or the club. I've affection for the idea and the sheer chutzpah though.

Comment

Alright, in which case

1. Hans Segers
                                              2. Carlsberg
                                              3. Justin Skinner
                                              4. Dario Gradi
                                              5. Gareth Ainsworth

Comment

Thank you for providing me with the opportunity to post this short clip of Franny Benali dealing with 'hard man' John Fashanu...

Comment

Bobby Gould. Leyton Orient. Turkey. Tunisia. 7-1. I still get nervous twitches just thinking about the second half of the 90s.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X