I, Daniel Blake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I, Daniel Blake

Congrats to Ken Loach for winning the Palme d'Or for this new film, it's no longer the norm for great filmmakers to win at the main venues (though Cannes is still better than the Oscars).

"I, Daniel Blake" looks terrific. It does a phenomenal job in putting a human face to the ongoing planned decay of the welfare system.

It's not often that directors like him can sustain that level of quality and consistency throughout their careers. For Loach, it's been over a half century of quality work. Surely the greatest British director alive, a real treasure.

Here is his press conference in Cannes:

https://youtu.be/rZPmKY9Gkng

I, Daniel Blake

I know Dave Johns (aka Daniel Blake)and to see him going from jobbing stand up comic to Palm D'Or winning actor has been incredible, similar to Leicester winning the Premiership.

It really couldn't have happened to a nicer, more genuine guy.

Looking forward to seeing this when I get the chance.

Comment

I, Daniel Blake

Here I am going to have a major 'CLANG!' and say that I was out with Ken last night and, self effacing as he is, he did seem to ostentatiously say that he thought it was an hour later and realised that his watch was Cannes time.

More interesting was that I previously thought he had basically cleaned out the world's stocks of film (getting donations from Pixar etc) but it appears it is film editing materials only.

Looking forward to seeing the film. He often does premieres at Twerton Park

Comment

I, Daniel Blake

Well I'm looking forward to it being closer to St. James' Park this time, given the film's location.

Comment

I, Daniel Blake

I was lucky enough to see it at a free screening this morning.

At times it's funny, at times it's heart-warming, at times it's bleak, at times it's just plain brutal. But it's honest, and it's exceptional. I've never heard a full cinema showing leave in silence because they didn't know what to say.

I want to see it again.

Comment

I, Daniel Blake

Saw this last night, echo the comments above.

Although it's a work of fiction, it resonated with a lot of things I have been told over the last 6 years, from a number of people. It's a powerful indictment on 21st Century British society - it makes you question how we have let this happen.

Comment

I, Daniel Blake

Was lucky enough to see this this evening. It made me cry.

Comment

I, Daniel Blake

It made me feel very angry and sad at the same time. I believe the kids call this sangry.

Anyway. As mentioned above, the credits rolled and the people in the about-a-third-full auditorium just sat there. I don't think anyone moved for about a minute.

Hayley Squires who played Katie was just brilliant. The bit in the food bank was incredibly upsetting. I know people who work in our local food bank and have heard stories like that. Mums who arrive and are weak with hunger because they have been feeding their kids and not eating themselves.

Comment

I, Daniel Blake

Finally saw this this week as I had been waiting for the showing at Twerton Park with Ken doing a Q & A after. The first one sold out fast so had to wait for the second one.

I have to say that I thought the actual film wasn't perfect. I thought that some of the acting wasn't great. Not Dave Johns who was brilliant but I thought that Hayley Squires was a bit Eastenders and a lot of the supporting actors were weak as well. In places, I thought the script wasn't quite tight as well.

However, the story is brilliant and shocking and whatever minor flaws are there are completely forgiven for the fact that they have got it out there. Basically, if Ken Loach and Paul Laverty hadn't done it, I don't know who would. The running theme about the tampons and sanitary towels (not really a spoiler) was especially poignant was I had read that morning about the fact that a charity that had been providing free tampons in West Africa had had to start doing the same for girls in Leeds due to them not being able to afford sanitary protection..

The Q & A after was interesting as there were many people there who were attesting that this system is absolutely true, from charities invited to speak to members of the audience. Indeed, Ken mentioned that many of the actors in the job centre scenes were ex-workers from job centres who were pissed off with the system who also provided a lot of evidence to back up the scenes. It was confirmed that there actually was the Orwellian job title of "the decision-maker". Also, there was a job centre worker in the audience who seemed to suggest that job centres had changed their way of dealing with people since the film had come out.

Comment

Working...
                  X