Gomorra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gomorra

The latest episode was one of intense doubt by the main players, the realisation they are utterly trapped in a circle of hell that they can't escape and can only go on.

Comment

Gomorra

I'm up to ep 10.

*******As in, I'm going to be speaking about Ep 9 -10**********

I'm not going to go up against the Sopranos, but what makes this a brilliant show is when Ciro says something like "the bodies of those I killed visit me in my dreams..." is that in the Sopranos you would have a dream sequence, and in this show it's up to Ciro di Marzio to deal with the reality of that dream when dealing with Patrizia or the guy in the grave.

I mean, what else can you say. There's these people fighting to control a market in a suburb on a second or third city in Italy, or a city in a cold city in a northern country "where the sun doesn't shine." This being a city in a country where there is no garbage or nuclear waste piled sky high.

Then after all of those sentences, it's not anything resembling the characters or acting or writing of what was presented.

All you can do is salute the writers and performers and producers of what you just saw.

Comment

Gomorra

Moonlight shadow wrote: The latest episode was one of intense doubt by the main players, the realisation they are utterly trapped in a circle of hell that they can't escape and can only go on.
        They can go. If they are brave enough.

Democracy vs Stongman. Thousands of years worth of debate.

Comment

Gomorra

Well, the last two episodes were...exhausting.

Comment

Gomorra

Mouton D wrote:
            Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs
            Why don't we do dubbing?

I find subtitles off putting, like black and white.
            Dubbing is the tool of the devil. Multiple attempts to watch a movie in Germany have provided me with ample evidence of that.
            hah, I shared a flat with two german lads, and we were watching pulp fiction, and they were complaining that John Travolta's voice was all wrong. Then they showed me a clip of German John Travolta, and I nearly died laughing. His voice is so absurdly deep.

Comment

Gomorra

I'm 42 min 41 sec and 35 min 11 sec away from Eps 11-12.

Comment

Gomorra

I've never been hit with a sledgehammer in the guts, but that was as close a feeling as it gets.

Like any great show with great writing and great storytelling, it doesn't matter what evil sins the bad guys do, you care about them and wish they could just see the light and turn their lives around.

*************S02 EP 12 SPOILERS****************************

----------------------------------
                Malamorte's walk towards the tinted window and kiss of the crucifix was as nightmarish as it gets. It's why I don't like horror movies or comedy movies per se, because drama is so much scarier.

The daughter's end was sadder when taken into account the DiMarzio's great escape in season 1. They escaped only to die the next round. Like the Azzuri's defense, there's always one more defender to beat to take you down.

The scenes with Savastano and Patrizia were gorgeous. I hope we see a lot more of Patrizia in the future, as she was my favorite this season.

It would be neat to see the first scene and see who has survived, or more importantly what percentage of people died. It's certainly been a whole lot.

*************************SPOILER OVER*************************************

*******NO MORE SPOILORE****************************************** *******

I for one have no idea where the show is going, or where it could possibly go. But lord what an amazing two seasons.

Comment

Gomorra

Spoilers follow....

I was shocked by the execution, I did not expect an old school guy like P Savastano to sanction this..Malamorte deserved his surname in that scene, the crucifix kissing was the cherry on top of a very gruesome cake

Cirio haunted look when receiving the gun and blessing from Gennaro to kill his father and when killing P made him look like he was a different actor than when he was in charge of events.

Neat touch by Gennaro to call his son Pietro...

Comment

Gomorra

Comment

Gomorra

Season 3 in spring 2017!!

Comment

Gomorra

Good, they need to keep up the pace at 1-year intervals, not 2.

Comment

Gomorra

Good, they need to keep up the pace at 1-year intervals.

Comment

Gomorra

Have watched 7 episodes over the past 2 evenings. It's absolutely superb.

Comment

Gomorra

Just watched the episode revolving around Daniele, the motorbike repair boy.

F*cking hell, the the darkest thing I think I've ever watched.

Comment

Gomorra

Moonlight shadow wrote: Glad to see other people are watching this brilliant series. I speak Italian but I'm glad for the English sub-titles, the accent and dialect makes it frequently impossible to understand.
                                My wife says the same. She understands Italian well, but doesn't understand anything in Gomorra.

We finished Season 1 last night, it's utterly superb. Will be watching Season 2 very soon. My only criticism would have been that there was too much bloodshed and some of the killing is so senseless that it's hard to believe.

However, this morning I read the background to the series, especially the Scampia Feud, which much of the series is clearly based on and it seems sadly nothing was exaggerated in the series. The violence portrayed mirrors reality shockingly well.

What I find so incredible about the series is the acting, which is outstanding. Dona Imma was probably my favourite character, I loved that line "us women dedicate our lives to being patient". So much complexity to her character, the actress was able to switch effortlessly from wife, to boss, to saint, to victim. Superb.

Conte is incredible too, "like shit to a donut" was genuinely a laugh out loud line. Despite his humanity (loves his mum, goes to church, smokes an e-cigarette, would rather reach out than go to war) he can switch to psycho nutcase in a heartbeat.

As a series, for me it ranks with the greatest (Sopranos/Wire), it really is that good.

Comment

Gomorra

Daniele was wretched and wrenching.

Imma was brilliant as well.

Then to think all of these murders aren't nearly the worst things these bozos did...they actually dumped toxic and nuclear waste into their own backyards and beaches and destroyed their entire ecosystem.

Comment

Gomorra

So, three episodes into Season 2 and I'm not enjoying it as much. There's only so much grim, tense nihilism I can do, really.

I get the idea, they need to push the story along and tie up loose ends from Season 1. That was clearly achieved at the end of Ep3 of S2, so let's see. I get the impression the main story-line of the season will now begin.

***SPOILER***

Really liked the character of Salvatore Conte, so much depth and the relationship with the transsexual girl and her sister's role in it was superb. Just when you think you're getting to know Conte's torment, he's gone.

Comment

Gomorra

Then to think all of these murders aren't nearly the worst things these bozos did...they actually dumped toxic and nuclear waste into their own backyards and beaches and destroyed their entire ecosystem.
                                      This is important. Calabria will be dealing with the fallout of the massively illegal dumping for generations.

Comment

Gomorra

As I've said, my mom dying of leukemia, myself being in a head-on car crash that destroyed my back...the worst thing that ever happened to me personally was the BP oil spill. Seeing that pristine beauty destroyed was too much to handle.

Hearing the stories of buffalo milk poisoned, children dying of cancer, the farmlands being burned....way too much to bear.

Re: Conte
                                        What festival was that? Would love to see it one day. Would also love to see that scene on a big screen.

Comment

Gomorra

Looked a lot like a Semana Santa type parade. I'd never seen the use of those pin cushions to self inflict pain, but my wife said they do that kind of thing in the north of her country.

Comment

Gomorra

Finished season 2, everything jv and ms say goes for me as well.

Patrizia is going to be a massive character in season 3, which is great. But as jv says, who else is left?

Comment

I just watched all three seasons of this in about a week. Jesus Christ what a programme. Nothing much more I can add to what the great JV says. There was a bit in season 3 where a very very minor character dies, he was probably only on screen for a total of a couple of minutes, and I'm still not over it. Shocking, brutal, bleak stuff. Halfway through the second season we had to stop and work out who the fuck we were rooting for, because every single one of them was evil.

Comment

Was it the guy working in the laundry EIM?

Comment

Working...
                                                X