Gomorra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gomorra

What a scary, passionate, nightmare of a show.

What's hilarious is it takes the urban detail of The Wire, the family dynamics of The Sopranos, and the insane decision making of Walter White of Breaking Bad and puts it into a Naples anchovy pie.

Ciro di Marzio is one of the great characters in any show. Acting, writing, and heart-pounding storylines. Utterly scary stuff.

Gomorra

It's the weaving together of a bunch of stories from the book into a narrative. It's very good. And kind of terrifying. I think there was a thread on it.

Comment

Gomorra

I searched, but it looks as disappeared as Don Savastano.

Comment

Gomorra

Is the writer of this blurb a commander of a wing unit?

And the story of Saviano in hiding (that would be a hilarious plot development. Kind of like when the detectives of Homicide:Life on the Street ran into Barry Levinson shooting the show about them.)

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/14/-sp-roberto-saviano-my-life-under-armed-guard-gomorrah

Comment

Gomorra

Is this on TV in the US? Is it related to the movie?

Comment

Gomorra

I think it's a Netflix series.

Comment

Gomorra

http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/30-film-tv/962030-gomorrah

Comment

Gomorra

So the Roberto Saviano dude wrote the Gamorra book.

This got translated to the 2008 Cannes-winning Gamorrah film.

This then got translated to the 2014 Gomorrah tv series on Sky Italia.

In Italy, it's called "Gomorra." In UK-USA, it's "Gomorrah." Just in case you're running into problems on torrent sites.

Right now, it's on Sky channels in the UK, but not much in the USA. But it you like eating kit-kat.cr kandy bars, you'll find season 1 and the first 4 eps of season 2 with English subs.

The movie is probably the one on netflix.

If you saw The Return, that spooky Russian film, the cinematography is ice-cold and sharp-looking as that was. The city itself like the Vele di Scampia, is a major character. The mountains of trash are a major character. Each coathanger wire holding up a weathered plastic sheath is a major character. Each pothole and manhole cover is a major character. The character live amongst trash and cheesy tack and all they want is to be king of it, even if
                they live in other more developed European countires.

And when I say it's a perfect mix of Wire-Sopranos-Breaking Bad-True Detective-Traffik, I don't mean to say that it's a mindless derivative of those shows or that those shows are necessarily the epitome of great tv (which we all know the answer to.)

But the elements in each of those series, be it the acting or characterization or plot twists or gut-churning stress or music or cinematography or rhythm or just wanting to spend time
                with the characters or see the city and locations...it's all there.

Just be ready. Marco D'Amore will be a name that you will be hearing. He's astonishing.

Like any plot-heavy show, try not to read a thing. Other than take ol' JV's suggestion.

Comment

Gomorra

Thanks Borracho. Probably the Gomorra vs Gomorrah thing with the search.

Comment

Gomorra

Everything jv says, watched the first series of this last year, cock-a-hoop that there's a second.

Comment

Gomorra

Lately I've been watching an episode with Italian subtitles, then a few days later with English subtitles. It's great because you get the jist in the first setting, then you see how deep and brilliant it is when you see it the second time.

Really brilliant show. Beautiful lines and dialogue and acting. Just filmmaking/cinema at its best. I'm taking to putting it on jump drives for my co-workers.

Episode 8 in the 2nd season finished.

Comment

Gomorra

Glad to see other people are watching this brilliant series. I speak Italian but I'm glad for the English sub-titles, the accent and dialect makes it frequently impossible to understand.

It makes The Sopranos look like the Waltons, the sheer despair, darkness of life in those circles is like a punch in the face. There was a mini-arc story about a teenage lad in S1, good lad, talented mechanic, earning an honest living who gets dragged in by Cirio to do little courrier jobs before being pushed to kill a clan guy, inevitably with tragic consequences for him that summed up the darkness of existence for young people in that area, even those that have managed to avoid getting involved until the lure of easy money becomes too much.

Comment

Gomorra

Glad to see other people are watching this brilliant series. I speak Italian but I'm glad for the English sub-titles, the accent and dialect makes it frequently impossible to understand.
                          I noticed that too, when someone is saying a name or a place-name you look at the subtitle and it frequently bears little resemblance to what's coming out of the person's mouth.

Comment

Gomorra

Quite

A lot of northern Italians watch it with subtitles

Comment

Gomorra

The original book does little to counter the charge by the lega nord and the like that naples is the most northernly city in Africa

Comment

Gomorra

I've had two African friends make very strong objections to that concept.

Comment

Gomorra

haha. I'm sure they would. I think that there are probably broad similarities between an awful lot of cities on either side of the Med. That's the way it's been or thousands of years, and I'm not sure that it's going to change.

Comment

Gomorra

The Med is a bit of a particular case, but there are similarities in the culture of port cities around the world that goes back as far as recorded history.

A punctilious respect for legal niceties tends not to be a part of that culture.

Comment

Gomorra

Why don't we do dubbing?

I find subtitles off putting, like black and white.

Comment

Gomorra

Ultra-Hobbesian wrongness on both counts.

Comment

Gomorra

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Why don't we do dubbing?

I find subtitles off putting, like black and white.
                                          Dubbing is the tool of the devil. Multiple attempts to watch a movie in Germany have provided me with ample evidence of that.

Comment

Gomorra

I mean, imagine Samuel L. Jackson ranting like this:

Some doofus standing in for Samuel L. Jackson wrote: Der Pfad der Gerechten ist auf beiden Seiten gesäumt mit Freveleien der Selbstsüchtigen und der Tyrannei böser Männer. Gesegnet sei der, der im Namen der Barmherzigkeit und des guten Willens die Schwachen durch das Tal der Dunkelheit geleitet. Denn er ist der wahre Hüter seines Bruders und der Retter der verlorenen Kinder. Und da steht weiter ich will große Rachetaten an denen vollführen, die da versuchen meine Brüder zu vergiften und zu vernichten, und mit Grimm werde ich sie strafen, dass sie erfahren sollen: Ich sei der Herr, wenn ich meine Rächen an ihnen vollstreckt habe.
                                            This is _wrong_.

Comment

Gomorra

Shame you deleted that.

It was quality.

Comment

Gomorra

ursus arctos wrote: Shame you deleted that.

It was quality.
                                                Sorry, will repost soon. Cannot vouch for its accuracy right now though, since I'm on a computer without sound.

edit: eh, I'll put it back and check later.

Comment

Gomorra

Mouton D wrote: I mean, imagine Samuel L. Jackson ranting like this:

Originally posted by Some doofus standing in for Samuel L. Jackson
                                                  Der Pfad der Gerechten ist zu beiden Seiten gesäumt mit Freveleien der Selbstsüchtigen und der Tyrannei böser Männer. Gesegnet sei der, der im Namen der Barmherzigkeit und des guten Willens die Schwachen durch das Tal der Dunkelheit geleitet. Denn er ist der wahre Hüter seines Bruders und der Retter der verlorenen Kinder. Und da steht weiter ich will große Rachetaten an denen vollführen, die da versuchen meine Brüder zu vergiften und zu vernichten, und mit Grimm werde ich sie strafen, dass sie erfahren sollen: Ich sei der Herr, wenn ich meine Rache an ihnen vollstreckt habe.
                                                  This is _wrong_.
                                                  It's not great reading either.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X