X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Father John Misty

imp wrote:
    Originally posted by danielmak
    Anyway, I'll listen to more after I take the dog out.
    Is that a Texan way of saying you're off to have a dump?
    Nah, an Illinois way to say I'm taking the dog outside of the apartment for a walk so she can have a dump.

But to the matter at hand, he certainly has that hipster tone of trying to be ironic and snotty but I did sense a genuine interest in having a conversation rather than doing the equivalent of an Email interview: here's a question, answer it, then read the next question, answer it, repeat.

Comment

Father John Misty

Like his music but got to wonder if he was given any kind of brief for the interview by his "people". Radcliffe and Maconie are great musical enthusiasts with a groaning library of entertaining, informative interviews. Maybe references to the Partridge Family and Half Man Half Biscuit had him out of his depth and resetting to default of snarky rock star.
      Curious way to treat a show that has been a faithful promoter of Fleet Foxes and FJM from day one.
      But well worth catching the interview in 6 Music I player if you've not heard it before.

Comment

The interview is on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX9-OEk7LCg

Today is the first time I have heard it (I was on holiday somewhere in May 2016). I think all three come off badly and seem to have not done their homework properly. Radcliffe and Maconie, for all their supposed interviewing prowess, went about trying to rescue the interview in the wrong way, jumping in and ramping up the sarcasm rather than perhaps backing off and slowing it down, giving it a chance to cool. Maconie becomes openly hostile about halfway through and makes me wonder why they didn't just cut it short and go to the record earlier.

R&M also need a producer who can over-ride them when they are clearly heading over a cliff, as they were here.

FJM behaved like a cunt, for sure, but that's hardly rare in the world of coked-up rock interviewees. Imagine R&M interviewing Van Morrison or Morrissey (who has actually been steering clear of them). I suspect that R&M will be switching to largely pre-recorded interviews if they fuck up like this again.

Comment

Whenever I've come across him in print interviews since, he still comes across as a bit of an arse. The R&M interview tends to be brought up and he tends to admit that it was a shocker, while defiantly sticking to his arsey guns.

And he's still not a real priest.

Maconie is better by himself than when he's with Radcliffe and Marc Riley has flourished away from his former partner. I think that Radcliffe has become a bit bumptious with age.

Comment

That's certainly true regarding interviewing. They are competing to chip in rather than complementing each other. Their banter in the first hour can sometimes be funny. Radcliffe can be good with Chain attention seekers. Maconie has more knowledge; Radcliffe can sound bored unless he's talking about music he is really keen on.

Some of their research just seems poor; a couple of minutes on Wikipedia.

Comment

That was just awful. Almost felt sorry for the fucker by the end. Why did Radcliffe persist with his inane line of questioning? Maconie should have been taken off mike after 10 minutes.

Comment

Working...
              X