Father John Misty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Father John Misty

He's being interviewed by Radcliffe and Maconie on Radio 6 right now. Whilst I like his music, my god, he comes across like a colossal c*nt in the interview.

Maconie is coming close to flipping as I type.

Father John Misty

He was very good on Wits.

Comment

Father John Misty

Interview has just finished, Maconie was quite professional but got a dig in at the end. Worth listening to on catch up, it will start about 1hr 40min into the show. It was seriously uncomfortable at times. I love Maconie, but perhaps if you don't know much about him you cold become quite defensive at his line of questioning.

Comment

Father John Misty

Radcliffe has just referred to it as 6Music's Eamonn Holmes David Blane moment. I think it was more like the Eamonn Holmes David Cassidy interview.

Thinking back to it, it was bringing up "Joy Division Oven Gloves" in the interview was the catalyst to the meltdown. Track it down on the iPlayer, I'm going to have another listen.

Comment

Father John Misty

Saw him live last night and I'm knackered from just watching him, so can only imagine what state he's in - not that I'm attempting to defend him if he's been a dick. I'll have a listen to the interview later, sounds entertaining.

Comment

Father John Misty

Missed it.
            But this sounds like a nice sit down with a glass of cold refreshing drink exercise.

Comment

Father John Misty

It's more painful the second time around. In his defence, he sounds completely shattered, so you're probably right, WFD.

It basically has all the key elements of interview gone wrong, where the interviewee comes in with an attitude and subsequently misjudges his interviewers questioning as disrespectful and underestimates their intelligence while subsequently making a complete fool of himself.

Maconie still seems flustered, they've jokingly suggested they'll never play Father John Misty again.

Comment

Father John Misty

I'm not sure there was any real catalyst for the guy's behaviour, he just seemed like a fuckwit from the start.

His shtick was more like a particularly bad, rambling, needlessly combative & ill-prepared Question Time performance than an artist being interviewed by two broadcasters who are obviously well-disposed to his music.

Comment

Father John Misty

I was listening and thought Maconie was pretty restrained. I guess, after years of working at the NME, he must have come across plenty of dicks in his time. Rather than knackered, Father John Misty just came across as hostile and rude.

Comment

Father John Misty

Ray de Galles wrote: an artist being interviewed by two broadcasters who are obviously well-disposed to his music.
                    That was the weirdest part of it, because even after Misty did the "you're asking me blunt questions" bit and they broke to a song, you could tell they were still trying to bring him back on track because they clearly like his music.

Comment

Father John Misty

Just listened, oof. I'd also imagine it was twice as bad in the studio (assuming he was there in person) as it came across on air, when you add body language and facial expressions into the mix. I listened on for a while afterwards and Stuart Maconie was still clearly rattled when I stopped listening.

Comment

Father John Misty

Well it ended rather abruptly with a track and absolutely none of usual niceties.

SM tried (not too hard though) but 'features' didn't let him retrieve the situation they ended up in.

Comment

Father John Misty

Misty was a huge dong there, for sure, but Stuart Maconie's line of questioning did leave a bit to be desired. (Unusually, for him.)

As opposed to Blaine's appearance on Good Morning - which was little more than an 'appearance' - Misty's attitude reminded me more of some of Jeff Buckley's radio interviews in the early nineties during which he'd frequently react to questions about his dad. (Which, admittedly, would've been more deserving.)

Comment

Father John Misty

steveeeeeeeee wrote: Radcliffe has just referred to it as 6Music's Eamonn Holmes David Blane moment. I think it was more like the Eamonn Holmes David Cassidy interview.
                            6Music's all time low, before the station had really found itself, was an interview George Lamb did with Stephin Merritt.

Father John Misty manages to put me off ever investigating him further just by his stupid bloody name. He is not a real priest. These are real priests:

Comment

Father John Misty

Father John Misty is a character, so it's quite possible it was all just shtick.

Comment

Father John Misty

Well, if that's the case, then he needs to work on it a bit more.

Shame, as he's made some good records.

Comment

Father John Misty

Incandenza wrote: Father John Misty is a character, so it's quite possible it was all just shtick.
                                  One of the things the guy had a tantrum about were questions about "the character".

I think we have to be open to the idea he was coked up to the gills.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-09-2017, 11:34.

Comment

Father John Misty

Or he's simply a beardy twat?
                                    He's certainly no Fr. Spodo Mogodo or Fr. Hiroshima Twinkie. That's for sure.

Maconie's a pain in the arse too, to be fair.

Comment

Father John Misty

In what way is it 'a character'? Does he comb his beard differently for FJM duties or something? It's not exactly Ziggy Stardust, is it.

Ray de Galles wrote:
                                      I think we have to be open to the idea he was coked up to the gills.
                                      Ah, Occam's razor blade.

Comment

Father John Misty

He was an embarrassment, and I suspect he won't be listening to Half Man Half Biscuit any time soon.

Comment

Father John Misty

Benjm wrote: Father John Misty manages to put me off ever investigating him further just by his stupid bloody name. He is not a real priest. These are real priests:

I listened to some of this guy's stuff on YouTube a while back. Christ, talk about turgid. Seriously, what's the appeal?

Comment

Father John Misty

I've listened to about 10 minutes so far and I have to say in his defense, they keep interrupting him and they are asking questions culled straight from some crib sheet. As he said, someone asking him about his upbringing and how that has shaped his view of the world or his songwriting (this last part is me adding to his point) that's far more interesting than talking about his name. I totally agree. I have no idea if these guys normally interview musicians or if they ask deeper level questions but if I were him, I'd feel like this was a waste of time as well. I guess the only other thing is that he knows these guys are bigshots and so he's trying to do a Bill Grundy kind of thing: talked about for making a spectacle. Anyway, I'll listen to more after I take the dog out.

Comment

Father John Misty

danielmak wrote: Anyway, I'll listen to more after I take the dog out.
                                              Is that a Texan way of saying you're off to have a dump?

Comment

Father John Misty

I've been offered a spare ticket to see him at the Roundhouse this evening. Should I go?

Comment

Father John Misty

Depends if you can get a t-shirt of Maconie's face knocked up in time and are able to make your way to the front.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X