Not a lot to Chameera about - Eng v SL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underneath grey, leaden skies and a chilly breeze enough to make even the most hardy local sheep huddle a bit closer for warmth, its hard to believe that in 6 days time I'll be at Headingley for the first day of the first test against a Sri Lanka side who must be wondering what on earth they have done wrong to start a test match in May in Northern England.

I was at Headingley on the 4th day in May 2007 of the WI test which was reputed at the time to be the coldest ever at 7C. Whilst I doubt the mercury will drop to that level (or at least I hope it doesn't), it's certainly looking like it will be pretty nippy with tea drinking more likely than beer and an extra jumper required.

I imagine this is the ECB's way of punishing the Sri Lankans for the last tour "you made Cook look a rubbish captain at Headingley, so we'll make you play there in May". Going myself on the Saturday and the forecast doesn't look too bad from this distance.

I went to the 2nd day of that Windies Test and it was a positively balmy 10c, though that was helped by KP completing a double ton and then England bowling them out.

Comment

Was there on day 2 as well, in the gloomy bowels of the Rugby Stand. My lads first ever experience of live test cricket (he loved it). Remember poor Corey Collymore dropping a skyer from KP and, as he was facing the screen above the Western Terrace, having to watch a couple of replays of it with the derision of the crowd ringing in his ears.

Comment

Collymore had the keeper standing up for him too for an over that day, which probably didn't help his general mood.

Comment

Looking forward to the Saturday at Lord's.Forecast suggesting a long hot summer...

Comment

"Sri Lanka couldn't bowl my mum or my grandma out" says Boycott in his first sentence on TMS.

There's in play highlights of key moments on the BBC live text page, which is good other than the obvious drawback of having to wade through the bantz-heavy prose of the bellends that write this sort of thing. Not many at Headingley by the looks.

Comment

Hales has turned into Boycott so far- 27 off 59 balls.

They should have left the rarely witty commentators behind in SAF. On a Bantzustan.

To be fair to Sir Geoffrey's Ma, her record is impressive:

Comment

Shanaka has three for one. Why did they not think of bringing along a part-time medium pace dobbly wobbler before?

Comment

Ha ha ha. What are crowd chanting- "Rout"?

Comment

Vince and Stokes are now back in the hutch reading Mrs B's coaching manual. 83/5

Comment

Interesting 2/3rds of a day. Hales and edp Bairstow batted beautifully but the other 5 wickets could have been avoided especially the over confident shots against the SL debutant. Not sure if my knees are burnt or going rusty though.

Comment

Pre-lunch collapse in progress...

Comment

James Vince just made a ball rear up from short of a length.

Quite canny that Finn was kept back till after tea. The not out batsmen will be cropping out their sausage rolls before they've eaten them.

Comment

Okay. Tea on the second day. England 298 all out; Sri Lanka 43-3. 140 for Bairstow, who is in the form of his life. The ball is doing things, or at least it was to get Sri Lanka into trouble at 12-3.Chandimal and Mathews regrouping.

Comment

Finn good.

Comment

Anderson passes Kapil Dev, 435 test wickets. Courteney Walsh next up, with 519.

Comment

Can't see him playing for long enough to reach that.

Comment

He just got 436.

He'll pick of Courteney by next week.

Comment

If we get the last four out for seventeen runs or fewer, will we enforce the follow-on?

Comment

I think so. It's swinging a mile and bouncing. We've 4 quicks.

Comment

Anderson's making it talk.

Comment

Grrrr, just popped into The Harrow for a very rapid pint, and they're showing the IPL shit instead of real cricket...

Comment

Very bad forecast tmrw.

Comment

Looks fine for Sunday and Monday. It seems unlikely that even 12 session will be needed.

Comment

Full covers on here, sopper going round the outfield. Stopped raining but we'll do well to get a start before midday.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X