How did they not make it big?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking that we'd done something similar rather recently, and the mention of That Petrol Emotion finally made me twig...

http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/29-music/50074-bands-you-thought-would-be-big?limit=20&start=100#1187245

Comment

Seems like only three weeks ago, doesn't it? Time flies...

Comment

Feels more like seven weeks to me, oddly.

Comment

Yes...but you're much older than me.

Comment

Comment

Tony C wrote: Jellyfish. Wonderful in every way, with a back catalogue of glorious pop tunes to die for. "Spilt Milk" probably in my top ten albums of all time and "Bellybutton" not far behind.
              I'm with you on this. And the fact that main songwriter (and singing, standing-up drummer) Andy Sturmer has done so little since is criminal. I saw them a couple of times - the second time, they played Northampton and I was fearful of a bomb-scare crowd because I'd never met another fan, but it was packed with people singing along.

- - - - -

My contribution? Thrum. Monica Queen's voice was achingly beautiful and although they cearly wore their Neil Young hearts on their Teenage Fanclub t-shirts, they had their own spin on things. One album and done. And their gig in Northampton was empty - 8 people - and I felt the need to apologise on behalf of my town.

Comment

Absolutely agree with Jellyfish. And, going back a few years, Timebox

Comment

I'm another Jellyfish fan. For me I'll nominate Grant Lee Buffalo and Granddaddy, watching Grant Lee Buffalo live at the Civic Hall in Wolverhampton was wonderful, half full and boiling hot but the sound Grant Lee Philips got from his 12 string guitar was something else.

Nice to see you back ahc.

Comment

Thanks. Good to be back.

Comment

Whipping Boy were dead good and seemed on the point of making it huge on a couple of occasions before snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Comment

I was another fan of Thrum / Monica Queen.

Lone Justice for me. Maybe they were too country for the rock fans and too rock for the country fans.

Comment

Was that Maria McKee's band before she went global with Show Me Heaven?

Comment

Yes, they were part of the 'Paisley Underground' scene that the presenters of the revamped Whistle Test - Ellen, Hepworth, Kershaw - were very keen on. Keener than the public as it turned out. The Byrdsy, '60s aspect of it may have been as underwhelming to mid-'80s audiences as the country trimmings.

Comment

Very good first album, which I have on vinyl somewhere.

One or two decent bands came out of that scene: I still like Green On Red and Dream Syndicate, while I seem to recall a friend of mine becoming a massive Rain Parade fan for about a month.

I think that the (pre-success) Bangles were briefly lumped in with Paisley Underground, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                I think that the (pre-success) Bangles were briefly lumped in with Paisley Underground, as well.

Yes, I remember them being ribbed for the "where you going with that UB40 in your hand" line in Going Down To Liverpool.

Comment

The Family Cat. Ace musicians and songwriters, but at the time of Britpop so too rockist for the time.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                    The Family Cat. Ace musicians and songwriters, but at the time of Britpop so too rockist for the time.
                                    Probably my favourite band of all time but they were pre-Britpop really though weren't they. I'm pretty sure they split up in 1995. It always seemed like they were one step out of time and just when they were on the edge of something it would be taken away just a swiftly usually their record company going bust.

The US grunge invasion did for them first of all and of their contemporaries only Carter USM had anything like breakthrough success.

Steamroller is as great a tune as anything ever.

Comment

The Pipettes. Girl group doing incredibly catchy pop. Had a minor hit with “Pull Shapes”.

Comment

Moose

Comment

Some love for The Family Cat here, too - Tom Verlaine was great and River of Diamonds one of my favourite singles of early 1993. But they by-and-large pre-dated Britpop, yeah.

Great band name, too.

Comment

Polly Harvey sang backing vocals for them around 1991; Fred was my next-door neighbour for a long time and I moved into his flat for a bit. (Also on that street: Spider Stacey, Bernard Butler, Pete Shelley’s ex-wife.)

His new band, Jack Adaptor, have just brought out an album with Claudia Brucker. Again, clever songwriting, but none of that wild multi-guitar sound. Their guitars were brilliant.
                                            Last edited by MsD; 28-05-2018, 09:26.

Comment

https://youtu.be/OpFSppgBpUc

With PJ Harvey on backing vocals.

Comment

Nice one - had never seen that promo before.

And with pre-fame Polly, too. How very cool!

Comment

Another one where I’m a bit biased* but I don’t know why this didn’t get more attention. I don’t like the video but the song is lovely and hypnotic, and as someone just mentioned Crosstown Traffic on the other thread, that’s the sound they were aiming for.

https://youtu.be/SM-yVgIklOY

(*I still love the first Wolfmen album, but I’m only credited on the sleeve of the second.)

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                    Yes, they were part of the 'Paisley Underground' scene that the presenters of the revamped Whistle Test - Ellen, Hepworth, Kershaw - were very keen on. Keener than the public as it turned out. The Byrdsy, '60s aspect of it may have been as underwhelming to mid-'80s audiences as the country trimmings.
                                                    Not really in the case of Lone Justice … Creedence maybe, but not The Byrds (unless you're referring to their country period).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X