Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chilcot bingo

jwdidier27 wrote:
    Should have got Gareth Chilcott to do it, he'd have charged less too.
    Ha ha, with an free 800 page appendix of anecdotes from the coarser end of [strike]touring[/strike] invading.

"The bunker really stank that time. When we asked Tony whether he'd followed through, we didn't mean in the sense of having a viable plan for the reconstruction of Iraq as a secular democracy!"

Comment

Chilcot bingo

Carniveraux Vulgarry wrote: The full text of the report is four and a half times the length of War And Peace so The Guardian are asking for assistance in getting through the report, should anyone be interested.
      Christ. Whatever happened to just sitting down with something, taking a bit of time over it, and then giving a considered verdict? There will be plenty of people writing in anyway, whether through the letters page or the below-the-line comments.

Comment

Chilcot bingo

Or people could just ignore the report and restate the opinion they've had for the last thirteen years, whatever that is.

Comment

Chilcot bingo

https://twitter.com/JohnnyChilcot/status/750260912758616064

Comment

Chilcot bingo

What is the remit of the report?

Comment

Chilcot bingo

Listened to the Chilcot statement on the radio. He absolutely tore into them. He said: (1) They pushed for war when peace was still possible; (2) They pushed bullshit dossiers; (3) They actively undermined the UN Security Council; (4) Their post-war plan was completely lacking; (5) The mess they left behind was entirely predictable from the outset.

He's only just stopped short of calling Blair and friends nasty names.

Comment

Chilcot bingo

No whitewash this....Good to see what happens when facts are considered, just a shame this wasn't the mood a couple of weeks ago....

Comment

Chilcot bingo

"Chilcot begs gvt never again to embark on huge risky leaps of faith based on dodgy evidence and without solid planning"

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/750639475135508480

Comment

Chilcot bingo

Alastair Campbell may well be the most cynical man currently alive. And given the breathtakingly sick world we live in, that would be some achievement.

Comment

Chilcot bingo

Fairly appropriate, though, given the hand-waving about terrorism in the run-up to the war.

Comment

Chilcot bingo

Whenever anyone on the Bush or Blair side mentions 'hindsight', it's worth remembering that the US government ignored the report of its own State Department before the invasion, warning of the consequences of invading without a coherent after-plan. The State Department specifically, if I recall correctly, advised against disbanding the Iraqi Army, the most disastrous post-invasion decision of all that lead to the civil war still raging in the country today.

Blair's press conference today is another insult. "So so sorry, so many mistakes." But basically, he would do it all again. Arrest the fucker.

Comment

Chilcot bingo

if blair had any brains he would be begging to be sent to jail. given the world-historic scale of his fuck-ups, saying "i did what i thought was right" is not enough. he still doesn't recognise the need for atonement.

the last question at the press conference was about whether blair felt any responsibility for brexit, since lack of trust in elites appeared to be a decisive factor in the referendum result, and he had done more than anyone to destroy the credibility of british government authority. blair said he thought this was a bit of a leap, but i think history will record that his war marked the dawn of the current age of delusion, where the link between political rhetoric and reality has totally dissolved.

Comment

Chilcot bingo

garcia wrote: if blair had any brains he would be begging to be sent to jail.
                            Why would he do that when he can still travel the world making loadsamoney? Or are you saying you reckon someone is likely to bump him off soon?

Comment

Chilcot bingo

garcia wrote: i think history will record that his war marked the dawn of the current age of delusion, where the link between political rhetoric and reality has totally dissolved.
                              I dunno. I'm not sure that such a link ever existed. Perhaps the Iraq war was just the moment that the absence of such a link was made painfully obvious for the current generation.

Comment

Chilcot bingo

garcia wrote: if blair had any brains he would be begging to be sent to jail. given the world-historic scale of his fuck-ups, saying "i did what i thought was right" is not enough. he still doesn't recognise the need for atonement.
                                This is the thing I've been particularly curious about. The hubris I understand, but his faith — assuming it's authentic — would surely require some expression of remorse. Or does that remain in the confessional?

Comment

Chilcot bingo

It's staggering how politicians can compartmentalize their faith vs how they live their lives. God seems to be for Sunday, and Sunday alone.

Comment

Chilcot bingo

Carniveraux Vulgarry wrote:
                                    He might have been forgiven for thinking Islamic extremism was the biggest threat to the West in the period immediately after 9/11. He has no excuse for continuing to believe that now.
                                    Not sure he/Bush can be forgiven for tying said terrorism to Saddam Hussein, or for that matter creating the conditions for ISIS to thrive.

Comment

Chilcot bingo

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Carniveraux Vulgarry
                                      He might have been forgiven for thinking Islamic extremism was the biggest threat to the West in the period immediately after 9/11. He has no excuse for continuing to believe that now.
                                      Not sure he/Bush can be forgiven for tying said terrorism to Saddam Hussein, or for that matter creating the conditions for ISIS to thrive.
                                      No, they can never be forgiven. And, as unlikely as it is that they'll both be brought to justice, I'm glad this hasn't been a whitewash.

Comment

Chilcot bingo

He has police protection for life now, doesn't he. Pity.

Comment

Chilcot bingo

Is there another Chilcot thread? Or is this it?

Comment

Chilcot bingo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0f8NBlmwwE

robin cook's resignation speech has been posted a lot today around different media. i always think that in an age of numerous conspiracy theories, his death never attracted near the suspicion it perhaps deserved.

Comment

Chilcot bingo

TonTon wrote: Is there another Chilcot thread? Or is this it?
                                              Yes. And yes.

Comment

Chilcot bingo

I am confused

Comment

Chilcot bingo

Paul S started a new Chilcot thread that got no traction.

This is the active one.

Comment

Chilcot bingo

Ahhh.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X