Where's the fucking Eurovision thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually a lot behind. Just realised we're watching on Sky plus.

Comment

steveeeeee: That is my second favourite Eurovision song, behind Ding Ding-a-Dong (Teach-In).

Comment

Tried to have a sneaky look at this today, but BBC website is buffering to fuck, so I didn't bother. Did manage to take one glance at Lithuania singer, and immediately thought 'GAY'.

I got some new headphones, and tried them with the *Eurovision double album opening track... Albania. Really liked it (song), and them ('phones).

Still haven't knowingly heard the UK song yet... waiting until Saturday.

*I DID NOT BUY THIS!

Comment

Is it me, or is the theme this year "1987?"

Comment

gerontophile wrote: steveeeeee: That is my second favourite Eurovision song, behind Ding Ding-a-Dong (Teach-In).
            Yeah, it is superb in every way; it's a great song, it's mental, they're having fun, the bassist is wearing a football shirt, the drummer and guitarist are generally enjoying the performance of the frontman who just can't decide if he's Jarvis or Brett Anderson.

Comment

The Irish entry. An adequate song with the wrong singer, or an adequate singer with the wrong song?

Comment

They're playing the British entry at the moment. Compared to everything else I've heard, it's got to have a decent chance?

Comment

Thought the same - liveliest UK song I can remember since Katrina & The Waves.

Comment

hobbes wrote: The Irish entry. An adequate song with the wrong singer, or an adequate singer with the wrong song?
                    Bland song, bland singer.

Comment

Oooh. I love Lithuania's shoes. Sparkly silver Air Max. Nice.

Comment

Wow. Ukrainian buzz kill.

Comment

Excellent name for a band that, hobbes.

Comment

That's it for Ireland and the Eurovision. We send them a member of westlife, and they still don't put him through. We should just send Dustin every year, with the song he sang the first time.

Either that, or twink.

Comment

Thoughts from the AE and Mrs AE jury.

I liked the Georgia song but was shocked that it got through.

Serbia seem to love their female power ballads.

The snippets of the three songs that went straight through seemed to be pretty poor compared to the others.

The Crimean Turkish in the Ukraine entry was pretty clear, that might attract the votes of European Turks especially as Turkey has decided it doesn't want to be in Eurovision.

Comment

gerontophile wrote: steveeeeee: That is my second favourite Eurovision song, behind Ding Ding-a-Dong (Teach-In).
                                Well, that sent me down a rabbit hole. I just emerged from Edsilia Rombley's performance which was the high point in thirty years of Dutch crap, before the Netherlands decided to take things more seriously again. Fourth place, and it might have been even higher if she had sung in English. Still glorious.

Comment

I remember that fairly well. Really good song, and she is smoking (sorry, sexist!), but she really never stood a chance against Dana International.

Comment

gerontophile wrote: I remember that fairly well. Really good song, and she is smoking (sorry, sexist!), but she really never stood a chance against Dana International.
                                    Nah, I'm not begrudging that at all. Fourth place was fine. But this was the first good show from the Netherlands since the seventies. I'm very happy with the performance and the result, and am not mad at all for not winning the whole thing.

The start of that chorus is still a thing of beauty. Much love for Fluitsma and Van Tijn for writing that.

edit: that is not meant to put down Edsilia Rombley at all. It is the combination of performer and songwriters that came together at the right time to culminate in this performance.

Comment

Fair enough. I am OK with Brainstorm not winning in 2000 (I loved the Denmark old geezers who won), but the Russian thing that came above them in second was a shocker.

Comment

Nicky Byrne - not the first former Cobh Ramblers player to represent Ireland overseas but be sent home before the competition began.

(Stolen from Twitter)

Comment

So... it appears that the US feed will be commented on by someone called Carson Kressley (some guy from "Queer Eye...") and Michelle Collins (no, not "Cindy" from Eastenders!) who is a comedian, which I will be the judge of.

A shame to miss Norton, but thems the breaks.

Comment

A quick glance at the runners and riders makes it look like a battle between Russia (bookies favourites) and Ukraine who have a protest song, which, without hearing, may or may not be a "Love Me, Love Me" ploy, and definitely a massive "Fuck YOU" to Russia.

Will the Russians be booed again/as usual? Will the Aussies win to fuck up the contest? Will the UK's position in the order (second last) help or hinder them?

All this will be revealed over the coming several hundred hours.

Comment

Are you ready for rrrrumble?

Comment

Just warming up with the latter stages of "Drag Race" to get me in "full-on, screamer" mode.

Comment

Not planning to watch tonight now, BGT then Captain America.

Fully expect the UK to romp home.

Comment

The two American commenters are going to talk all the way through this fucking thing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X