Where's the fucking Eurovision thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come on you goons. I missed the start as I was making dinner. I expectedcto arrive late to a thread packed full of hilarity and fun and what do I find?
    Nothing. That's what.
    Anyway, why was the Azerbaijan entry wearing one of the baddies from Ghostbusters' outfits?

This thread would be as well entitled "where's gerontophile?".

I've now visited 25 of the countries represented in this year's competition (and I'm going to four more next week), so for me it's less about the songs as much as reminiscing about when I visited them.

Comment

This is only the semi-final, though.

I think the early heats have taken much of the fun and surprise out of it. :-(

Comment

Just in - is this worth watching on catch up?

By worth, I mean better than listening to CDs with a glass of wine, not better than watching Newsnight.

Comment

Greece have thankfully set the bar low.

Comment

I must be watching on some kind of delay in Portugal, it only began 20 minutes ago.

Comment

MsD wrote: This is only the semi-final, though.

I think the early heats have taken much of the fun and surprise out of it. :-(
              Allowing them to sing in English was the biggest faux pas.

Comment

An awful lot of tonight's were thumping backbeats with a soaring vocal over the top.

They did almost melt into one, really.

And you get the impression if we could convince Meat Loaf to represent the UK we'd win it by a country mile.

Comment

Surely, with her Jim Steinman connections, Bonnie Tyler could do a job for...oh, hang on.

Comment

Well, hello.

Haven't seen the first semi, and can't watch the second, but have found a TV channel where it is on live in the US (Logo, if anyone else is interested.)

So, will see y'all there... and will probably have a sneaky listen to the runners and riders beforehand. May the least worst person win!

Comment

Great to see you, Gero.

This is indeed the first time that it has been broadcast in the US (though on a rather niche channel, that is the successor to VH 1 MegaHits (no, me neither)).

It will be interesting to see if they manage to increase awareness beyond what has already happened with internet streams.

Comment

Hey ursus.

Yes, Logo is pretty much the go-to "gay" channel, with wall to wall Drag Race etc.

And no matter how camp Eurovision is, it will never really take off Stateside, due to the time difference. Not many people want to get shit-faced, playing the drinking games at 3pm/noon on a Saturday. Well, not too many...

Comment

Logo's website supplies ample support for your characterisation

Comment

My goodness. That is a drag overload.

"Nice" story about the Arkansas judge, though.

Comment

You back for good, gero? Welcome, at any rate.

My girlfriend has claimed since we moved in that she gets absolutely nothing out of the DirecTV subscription I insisted on for the football when we moved in together. She's evidently already forgotten that the alternatives all involved less choice for more money, but in any case when she finds there's a choice of three channels (all global versions of European news channels) which will show the Eurovision finals live, I think she might change her tune.

Comment

If you have DirecTV in the USA, Channel 272 (Logo) is showing it without commercials.

And thanks.

Comment

We have DirecTV in South America, so will be able to choose between RAE International, TVE and possibly Antena 3 and Deutsche Welle, all of whom showed it last year. Traditionally I pass the link to the OTF thread to my ex-flatmate, who this year will be watching on BBC I assume, as she's just gone back home for a month.

Comment

Romania got kicked out for not paying its bills to the European Broadcast Union (I think that's what it's called). So we have no entrant and no coverage. This is not really a major blow to me to be honest, but I'll be in Poland anyway this weekend, so if I were desperate for a fix I could indeed watch it.

[Actually the impending bankruptcy of TVR, the state broadcaster, is a matter for serious concern, not least because it means that this year's Euro championships have gone over to a non-free-to-air channel]

Comment

I want the grand opening song to win. That was BRILLIANT.

Comment

The Latvian from 1987 was OK.
                                        This Polish guy is struggling with key. And notes. And face hair and his crimpers, seemingly.

Comment

That angsty indie Georgia entry has brought back memories of Latvia's superb 2000 entry

Brainstorm - My Star

Comment

All a bit generic and unmemorable, innit, and that goes for the first semi too. The opener tonight was indeed outstanding - witty, and really well delivered.

Comment

This Belgian song is just Fleur East's "Play that Sax" without the sax break.

Comment

This Swiss girl. I've never ever heard anyone sing a line like "this is paradise" in a tone that makes it sound like she's saying "The 8.15 to Cannon Street will be delayed by approximately 20 minutes"

Comment

Sorry. Running a bit behind I think.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X