Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

After the early heroics by Santa Cruz, the table has taken on a familiar look with Corinthians going top in typical Corinthians style with two late goals against Coritiba. Most of Brazil, having watched the game against Ecuador, is wondering how Dunga got the job rather than Tite who is a master at getting the most out of limited resources.

Corinthians are only ahead of Grêmio by virtue of having fewer yellow cards. Grêmio also left it late but beat Ponte Preta thanks to Luan who is looking a decent player but there are rumours that he'll be off to Italy soon.

Palmeiras are fourth after beating Flamengo in Brasília where the game was delayed due to the effects of tear gas used on fighting fans.

After the seven goal thrillers in midweek, Sport and Atlético-MG went one better in a 4-4 draw. Quite a performance by Robinho who won and scored two penalties (admittedly, both of them debatable) and provided killer passes for the other two.

Finally a word for Vasco who extended their unbeaten run to 33 games since last November. They lead Série B and Nenê is the league's top scorer with 8 goals in 6 games.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

cantagalo wrote: He has persevered with Hulk and chosen Jonas who is 32. He seems to be banging in goals for Benfica but I was less than impressed with him when he was playing in Brazil. Maybe steveeeee can give us an update on his form.
      Got a lot of love for Jonas, but not necessarily for his goalscoring, most of which come when Benfica are thrashing some Tiny village team in the Liga. I love him because he's a superb influence in the dressing room and on the pitch, few want to win more than Jonas. He just seems like a great guy to have on your team.

But Brazil striker? Oh, how the mighty have fallen! He's good at Benfica level, skillful, works his nuts off, but if he's their goalscoring threat, then I'd put Brazil on a par with Denmark or Greece on the world stage.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Haha. You could be right there. It may be that in Brazil's next game, Gabriel of Santos gets a chance. He's OK but I don't think the reality lives up to the hype surrounding him. And apart from him there really isn't another contender.

I have to confess that my assessment of Jonas may have been unfairly influenced by this effort by him in the Libertadores.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1XPXh9m5vYQ

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

He's quite possibly such a strong character now due to his past blunders. I never expected much from him when he joined, Benfica were just really desperate for a striker and he was available on a free. However, I'd rate him as one of the best acquisitions Benfica have made in the past decade, and that really is saying something. His attitude is one of the main reasons Benfica won the title this season, most other teams would have collapsed in November, but Jonas was always positive and fighting.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

I know that, despite the Euros and the Copa America, you're all gagging for your Brasileiro update.

Splendid stuff in the Atlético v Cruzeiro clássico as Fred, newly signed from Fluminense, made his debut for Galo. Cruzeiro, despite ending up with 8 men, came out on top 3-2. Fred scored as he always does on his debut but the MOM was the Uruguayan, de Arrascaeta who made all three Cruzeiro goals. Note to Steveeeee - he's now being linked in the Brazilian press with a move to Benfica.

My early season excitement at seeing Santa Cruz at the top of the league has disappeared. A Brazilian friend compared them to a cow on a roof. You don't quite know how it got up there but you know it's going to come crashing down soon. Another defeat for them, this time at home to Santos whose Zeca scored the goal of the weekend (and possibly the season).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SDg3B4I0cmY

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Cristóvão Borges is an interesting and surprising appointment as Tite's replacement at Corinthians. He's not considered one of Brazil's more high profile manager and his most successful spell was guiding Vasco to runners up in 2011. He did a decent job at Bahia but has failed in his last three appointments at Fluminense, Flamengo and Atlético-PR. He's also one of the small number of black managers.

Palmeiras eased past Santa Cruz to go top for the first time in 7 years after Inter were beaten at Figueirense but it's rumoured that star man Gabriel Jesus will soon be off to Barcelona. Grêmio are third after beating Cruzeiro and absurdly it appears that Paulo Bento's job is under threat after just eight games in charge.

There was a pretty good game in Brasilia between Flamengo and São Paulo. Calleri scored twice and then got himself sent off so São Paulo were pleased to scrape a 2-2 draw courtesy of a missed penalty by Alan Patrick.

There's strong competition at the bottom to see who can be Série A's most rubbish team. Five clubs - Cruzeiro, America, Botafogo, Sport and Coritiba - are fighting it out on 8 points.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

After the on and off the pitch events of the last few days, the Brasileiro seems like a relatively sane place.

Not that their weren't some surprises. The top three, Palmeiras Inter and Grêmio all lost. Cruzeiro's win over Palmeiras should have persuaded their idiot directors to keep faith in Paulo Bento a bit longer and Inter did what most observers thought impossible; they lost at home to Botafogo.

Of course, the lack of an available stadium in Rio has meant that I haven't yet been able to see a live game since getting back. The Fla-Flu derby was played in Natal with Flu being gifted an own goal from William Arão and a suicidal back pass by Rafael Vaz. This gave the papers the chance to use various 'Presentes de Natal' headlines.

A managerial merry-go-round update:

Since the start of 2016, 15 out of the 20 Série A teams have changed their manager.

Five teams have changed their manager since the start of the Brasileiro last month.

The longest serving manager is Roger Machado of Grêmio who has survived since May 2015.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Glad to hear Bento's fortunes are changing.

Fred would be good at Benfica, especially if Jonas moves to China.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Another couple of losses and he'll be in trouble again!

Not sure Fred could cut it at Benfica. He's slower and even more immobile than he was two years ago in the World Cup.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Paulo Bento update: he's in trouble again.

After a midweek defeat at Chapecoense, Cruzeiro took on Vitória and managed to blow a 2 goal lead against 10 men. Vitória were inspired by the excellent Marinho and the fact that he was a Cruzeiro player last season didn't improve the mood of their fans.

I had a fixture clash TV dilemma on Sunday which I managed to solve to my satisfaction. With France leading Iceland 4-0 at half-time, I decided to switch over for Corinthians v Flamengo and with perfect symmetry saw them put 4 past a hapless Flamengo, who had, apparently been the better team in the first half.

In the top of the table local derby, Grêmio came out on top against Internacional with a goal from Douglas but Palmeiras have a chance to extend their lead tonight against Sport.

Fred had an eventful game for Atlético. He scored a diving header, gave away the ball for Figuierense's equaliser and was then sent off, somewhat harshly, for an alleged elbow.

Another distressingly small crowd, this time for Fluminense. Just 917 turned up to watch their 0-0 draw with Coritiba and they probably wish they hadn't.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

If you thought the rearranging of English fixtures was bad, check this out. We have had this week's Série A games played on Saturday afternoon, Saturday evening, Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon, Sunday evening, Monday evening and one more tomorrow on Tuesday night. There has not been more than two games being played at any one time.

Just a couple of highlights - Flamengo beat Atlético Mineiro 2-0 in Brasilia in the second most expensive stadium in the world on a pitch that looked like a ploughed field. The World Cup legacy in action.

And there was another managerial casualty. Internacional have been sliding down the table and their 1-0 defeat at Santa Cruz, a team that had just lost five on the bounce, meant that Argel Fucks was, well, fucked. For obvious childish reasons, I hope he gets a new job soon.

As I write, Cruzeiro have just contrived to lose 3-0 at home to Atlético-PR so Paulo Bento could soon be toast.

The match of the weekend/midweek is not until tomorrow - Palmeiras v Santos.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

great

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Ah, Argel Fucks and memories of Benfica at their absolute worst. I do not shed a tear for his plight. However ever, hearing he's been sacked as manager does make me feel quite old.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Haha - so you won't be delighted to learn that he's spent less than 24 hours unemployed. He's gone back to Figueirense who, having learnt of his availability, instantly sacked their manager. Now only 4 out of 20 Série A teams have the same manager they started the year with.

Cruzeiro's 3-0 defeat was really most unfortunate. Atlético's keeper Weverton got in the way of everything they threw at them and they conceded three late goals on the break. I doubt whether Cruzeiro's directors will take that into account though.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

I definitely chose the best match of the weekend in Botafogo's 3-3 draw with Flamengo but the following day there was actually another game in Rio. Fluminense have upgraded America-RJ's ground and in their first game there they beat Cruzeiro 2-0. It was another bad day for Cruzeiro who sacked Colombian striker Riascos after the game for basically saying in an interview that he couldn't put up with this shit anymore. He'll probably be on his way back to Vasco.

Internacional's sacking of Argel Fucks didn't revive their fortunes as new manager Falcão saw them lose 1-0 at home to Erik's goal for leaders Palmeiras.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Latest Paulo Bento update - sacked.

A 2-1 defeat at home to Sport left them second bottom. A relegation for Cruzeiro would be unthinkable. They are one of only four clubs who have never been relegated from Série A. (Quiz question - name the other three). Favourite to take over is Mano Menezes who only left the club in December.

Palmeiras lost at home to Atlético-MG but still lead the table followed by Grêmio who beat São Paulo and Corinthians who drew at home to Figeueirense. They only managed that thanks to some poor refereeing when Cássio chopped down a Figueirense striker clean through on goal just outside the area and was only given a yellow. With 11 still on the pitch they went on to salvage a point.

Ponte Preta were also robbed against Internacional. A shot bounced off the bar a yard over the line - no goal-line technology here.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

About three years ago or so, I informed readers here that Santos had found a new Neymar, a lad by the name of Neilton. Of course i was completely wrong and since then his career path has taken a downwards turn and he has ended up at Botafogo. Yesterday he came good again, inspiring them to a 3-1 win over leaders Palmeiras, scoring twice and setting up the penalty clincher. He gave Zé Roberto a torrid time, though you might well ask why the erstwhile leaders of the Campeonato Brasileiro are fielding a 42 year-old full-back.

Manager Ricardo Gomes, one of only 3 Série A managers appointed before 2016, deserves great credit for making the most of the limited resources at Brazil's most indebted club.

Flamengo continued their run towards a top 4 place with a 2-0 win at Coritiba. The first half was one of the worst games I've seen this season - even the relentlessly positive Brazilian commentators were scathing about it. The second half was a slight improvement with a good goal by Guerrero, who had spent much of the rest of the game writhing on the ground complaining at the referee. More good news for Flamengo is that Diego is likely to make his debut soon.

Corinthians won at fast-sinking Internacional whose supporters had a riot afterwards and Santos went second after inflicting another defeat on Cruzeiro, who really are in big trouble now.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Although club football has continued during the Olympics, it's been me who has taken a break so time for a catch-up.

First of all, some managerial news. Argel Fucks' successor at Inter, Falcão, lasted a grand total of five games during which he failed to end Inter's winless run. And guess what? Argel Fucks' relief at getting a new job immediately at Figueirense was short-lived. He was sacked yesterday after they lost their first home game this year against Cruzeiro. My praise for Ricardo Gomes has been noted by São Paulo. They've appointed him to replace Argentina bound Edgardo Bauza.

Palmeiras maintained their lead despite only drawing at home to Ponte Preta and now have the return of Gabriel Jesus to look forward to. Despite his absence, he's still the league's top scorer.

Atlético-MG beat Atlético-PR thanks to a Robinho penalty and have moved into second place. Flamengo are now third, overtaking Grêmio who they beat 2-1. You may remember Leandro Damião from his time at Internacional when he was linked with Spurs. Since then he's been awful at Santos and Cruzeiro but has turned up at Flamengo and scored his first goal since last November, albeit a penalty. Possibly more significantly, Diego also scored on his debut.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Missed you on Saturday...

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Yes, congratulations on the win. Mid-table obscurity will be fine for for both of us this season.

See you on 25th Feb.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Events at the top first. A routine win for Palmeiras against Fluminense in Brasília. Flamengo have climbed to second with a 3-1 win at Chapecoense. I've been rather disparaging about them but with Diego they now have a proper number 10 and a rookie manager in Zé Ricardo who has got them playing some decent stuff.

Interesting goings-on at São Paulo and Internacional. Several hundred fans invaded SP's training ground on Saturday, threatening players and generally causing havoc. Their mood will not have been improved by Sunday's 0-0 draw at home to Coritiba.

Inter extended their winless run to 14 matches with a 1-1 draw at Sport and finally dropped into the relegation zone. You can tell they're worried because they've contracted Celso Roth as their third manager of the season. He's a sort of Brazilian Sam Allardyce, a relegation-avoiding hard-man, though it's very unlikely he'll ever be appointed national manager.

Finally, a mention for Botafogo. They have replaced the São Paulo bound manager Ricardo Gomes with Jair Ventura. There's a clue in the name - he's the son of Botafogo legend Jairzinho. A good start for him with two wins and an unlucky defeat at Atlético-PR last night.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Only two previously delayed Série A games this weekend as, unusually, there was an international break.

Fluminense beat Figueirense 3-2 but the best bit of action was in Botafogo's 2-1 win over Grêmio which featured this goal of the season by the excellent Camilo.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Palmeiras, Flamengo and Atlético all won to draw further ahead at the top. Palmeiras' win over São Paulo was notable for the presence of Gabriel Jesus on the bench just 16 hours after playing for Brazil against Colombia. With Palmeiras trailing, he came on and looked remarkably lively but it was headers from centre-backs Mina and Victor Hugo that won it.

Internacional were helped to their first win in 15 games in by an astonishing performance by referee Rodrigo Batista Raposo in their 2-1 win against Santos. He mystified everybody by sending off Lucas Lima for alleged time wasting just before half-time and the four yellow cards and a red for Santos in a game where they only committed seven fouls tells its own story. I can only put it down to sheer incompetence because if he'd been bribed, he'd have been far more subtle about it. Anyway, Inter are out of the bottom four - for now.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Interesting that if this can hold, we'll finally see a Rio side back in the Libertadores.

I had some games on my DVR but just got further and further behind with Olypmics and WCQ. I was able to watch Corinthians destroy Flamengo and that was it. I delete all the other games since the Uruguayan league is back again and I prefer to watch Nacional and I've got about 5 Santa Fe matches on the DVR as well. So, I'll rely on your reports, cantagalo to keep me in the loop.

Comment

Futebol Brasileiro 2016

Happy to oblige Daniel, and save you what is often hard work watching a load of Brazilian games.

First of all another managerial update. Wagner Mancini has been sacked by Vitória after their 2-1 defeat by Flamengo. This leaves just two of the 20 Série A managers - Roger Machado of Grêmio and Dorival Junior of Santos - who were appointed before the start of 2016.

With Santos having lost 4 out of the last 5, Dorival must have been getting worried but a 2-1 win over Corinthians means he is safe. Grêmio have also had a bad run but got a creditable 0-0 draw against leaders Palmeiras.

Their lead has been cut to one point due to Flamengo's aforementioned win. And next Wednesday it's Palmeiras at home to Flamengo. A title decider? Probably not, but it's the biggest game so far this year.

Some good entertainment in other games, notably Sport 5-3 win over Santa Cruz in the Pernambuco clássico and Botafogo's win at Cruzeiro which featured another golaço by Camilo. From being many pundits' tip for relegation, Botafogo are now up to eighth place.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X