• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never say Nether again - Giro d'Italia 2016

I failed to do my transfers! Bah.

Comment

Comfortable win for Kittel gives him the race lead. The other notable feature of the stage was Peraud crashing out.

Comment

Yes, I wasn't exactly sticking my neck out with that prediction. To my mind Kittel is as awesome and protean as Sagan, but in a slightly more conventional way.

A rest/transfer day tomorrow before the riders hit Italy for Tuesday's stage 4, which runs from Catanzaro (right at the arch of Italy's foot) up the west coast to Praia A Mare. This will likely be a sprint, but with some late bobbly hills there looks definite potential for puncheur attacks.

Comment

I embarrassed myself earlier today watching this in a pub with a mate (who's right into his cycling, his missus competes for Britain at triathlon) enthusing about how I too love watching the cycling on telly, just as much for anything as watching the places they go through and the countryside, as much as the race tactics and anything else.

After watching for a bit I suggested "This looks pretty flat for Italy, are they in the Veneto?" "No", he replied, "They're in Holland".

Comment

Pleasantly surprised to find myself top of the fantasy league, as I forgot to do any transfers for the weekend so missed putting Kittel in. But then I noticed that there's no Toro :-(

Dillier is out as well as Peraud but getting through two early sprint stages with only a couple of abandonments is not bad going for a GT.

Virtual GC (times referenced to Dumoulin):

0:00 Dumoulin
            0:06 Amador
            0:13 Jungels
            0:19 Nibali
            0:22 Kruisjwijk
            0:24 Valverde
            0:28 Fuglsang
            0:30 Chaves
            0:32 Zakarin
            0:33 Hesjedal, Uran
            0:36 Majka
            0:38 Monfort
            0:40 Landa
            0:47 Pozzo
            ----------------------
            1:58 Geniez
            2:41 Niemiec
            2:52 Anton
            7:30 Cunego

Comment

Another potential wildcard with Stage 3 is the wind, as the route is very close to the sea for virtually its entire length.

Comment

I see they've got rid of the dog that used to be race mascot and replaced it with a wolf. (Lupo, obviously)

Comment

It was a squirrel when we were in Italy, and they have also used an ibex.

Comment

delicatemoth wrote: the riders hit Italy for Tuesday's stage 4, which runs from Catanzaro (right at the arch of Italy's foot) up the west coast to Praia A Mare. This will likely be a sprint, but with some late bobbly hills there looks definite potential for puncheur attacks.
                    Yeah, this looks really interesting. Something you would hardly ever see with the bookies is a race where Kittel is the favourite, but 7/1 against!

Basically it's a punt as to whether or not the group will stay together, get selective, or the day's break will take it, or a late attack will come off. There are a few km of flat run in too, for the sprint teams to try to pull it back perhaps as well.

I noticed that Valverde was 33/1 for today so have some pennies on him each way. There is a ramp of 18% on that final climb and the chance for Valverde to get a time gap plus some bonification on the GC contenders is one he doesn't usually pass up. Similarly I have also taken Ulissi and Moser, but just for the win in each case there.

Comment

Given the interesting finale and it not being entirely clear who might chase I imagine there will be quite a bunfight to get in the morning break. There's about 70 riders who are more than five minutes down on GC and there's quite a few of them who can win from a breakaway - Navardauskus, Plaza, Capecchi, Wellens as examples.

Comment

Good shouts, those.

The early break, front to back: Brändle, Boem, Rosskopf, Mohoric.

Comment

Kittel dropped on the coast road before they reach the final climb. There's a rather shapeless move dangling off the front of what's left of the peloton.

Comment

Ulissi and Wellens are both up there I think. Apparently it's Wellens' birthday today.

Comment

Ulissi tries to go solo...

Comment

Pozzovivo accelerated behind which forced all the GC favourites to react, Landa could only hold about 20th place in the group and got briefly gapped.

Comment

Oh, that was magnificent.

And my 25p stake returned £6.50. It's the little things that matter.

Comment

Great ride from Ulissi that, Dumoulin got second (and possibly a time gap) so will be back in pink.

Comment

Some earlier Giro mascots

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Some earlier Giro mascots

"Heron?"

Comment

That was "Ghiro", which means dormouse in Italian.

Comment

The Giro should be a neverending rolling event. Have it monthly, obviously with fresh riders and teams chosen every month. It's just brilliant.

The best sprinters are so good, a terrific win for Greipel.

Comment

Had a very jerky stream today, but looked as if Greipel got quite a big gap there.

Comment

I hate having a jerky stream.

Comment

Dumoulin's going to win absolutely fucking everything for the next few years, isn't he?

Comment

Cretins have scattered nails on some of the Strade Bianchel. Fans trying to pick them up before the riders arrive.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X