The play-off thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The play-off thread

That's Burnley up then, and barring a Brighton win at the Riverside, it is they who shall face Wednesday.

Comment

The play-off thread

Banbury United beat Taunton Town 2-0 in the Southern League South & West Final. Taunton had a lot of possession without ever looking like scoring. It absolutely pissed it down the entire match.

Comment

The play-off thread

Hungerford beat Leamington 2–1 and win promotion to National South.

They had one of worst average attendances in the SLP (149). Be interesting to see how long they last at a higher level.

Comment

The play-off thread

East Thurrock 3 Dulwich Hamlet 1 in the Isthmian Premier Final.

Harlow Town 3 AFC Hornchurch 1 in the Isthmian North Final.

Comment

The play-off thread

The playoffs continue in Scotland tonight. Two former Highland League teams are attempting to climb up one level - Peterhead host Ayr United in the Championship playoff, and Elgin City are away to Clyde in the League One playoff.

Comment

The play-off thread

And they continue in the Conference, Conference North and Conference South.

Dover host FGR. Then Boston host North Ferriby and Harrogate Town play Fylde then in the south, Truro play Maidstone while Ebbslfeet travel to Whitehawk.

Tomorrow, Grimsby v Braintree (who's PE teacher manager has had to ask for the day-off work to go) round up the Conference play-off 1st legs.

I hope the Pilgrims win tonight. They have had a few near misses in recent years and they seem to have hit form at the right time. They beat Nuneaton in the penultimate game to keep their fate in their own hands and then trounced Stalybridge to confirm their place at the weekend - away - with over 500 fans in tow. Not bad for Conference North. Dayle Southwell will be looking to add to yet another 20+ goals haul with his 24 league goals this season. It will also be nice to have another Lincolnshire derby should Grimsby fail again.

I'm not sure who will win out of FGR and Dover. I think I'd rather play Dover at Wembley as their more direct style could tire them out quicker, especially if it's a hot day.

Comment

The play-off thread

Dover lost 1-0 in front of a paltry crowd of just over 2,000 v FGR.

Boston beat North Ferriby 2-0 in front of just under 2,600, Zak Mills scoring a stunning volley (a theme for Boston's play-off matches over the years) at the death.

Fylde beat Harrogate 1-0.

Truro lost to Maidstone 0-2 and Whitehawk 1-2 Ebbsfleet United

Comment

The play-off thread

The idea of Dover Athletic being in the Football League does not compute. But then neither does Forest Green Rovers. Or Fleetwood Town. Or Crawley Town. Or etc., etc.

Comment

The play-off thread

Nor does Braintree Town, but having beaten Grimsby away it has moved a step nearer.

It seems bizarre to me, several of my friends played for them, one of whom is still their record goalscorer.

Comment

The play-off thread

Pleased for St Ives. Watched them a couple of times on recent trips home.

Comment

The play-off thread

For the first time in ten years I'll be posting on this.

Barnsley v Walsall.

Comment

The play-off thread

Nice one Grimsby.

Comment

The play-off thread

Just checked this link on the Forest Green website. Tells me that adults tickets for Conference play-off final are £41 or £36 for an adult. Oh yes, plus £3 booking fee too, even though you book it youself online.

£39 to watch a non-league football game.

I've mentioned the @NationalLeague in my tweet about it, and so must you. It's a disgrace, and all down to them refused to give up their vanity project of having the final at Wembley, when they wouldn't even fill St Andrew's or the Molineux at £15 a pop.

Oh yes, and because they have to have it there, it's on Sunday at 4pm. Adding even more expense to those with a long distance to travel, such as fans from places like Forest Green and Grimsby.

I'm reminded that I refused to pay £30 for Torquay's win v Cambridge a few years ago for the same reasons, a final where Cambridge were allowed to sign a goalie on loan the day before, and not just any goalie, but one who had been ever-present for another Conference side all season. Nothing changes in this most amateurishly run leagues.

Link didnt work, it's http://www.forestgreenroversfc.com/news/first-team-news/2016/forest-green-announce-wembley-trip-details?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignI n&utm_source=Twitter

Comment

The play-off thread

Big raps to North Ferriby for turning it round. They'll be on the phone to Hull KR this week, asking about a potential groundshare possibly.

Regarding us against Derby, you probably won't find a set of fans more ambivalent towards the coming games. We know that going up nets the hated owners the last bit of cash still owed to them, and staying down sets us on a potential path already trodden by Portsmouth and others. Yet secretly, the second option is more desirable in the eyes of many City fans, this one included. Strange days.

Comment

The play-off thread

Kryvbas Gripper Rih wrote: £39 to watch a non-league football game.
                                Last season I watched the Conference play-off final for a tenner. There was an offer by the sponsors open to all clubs in steps 1 & 2 which I took up.

Comment

The play-off thread

I hope you didn't include the idea that a Conference play-off Final crowd wouldn't fill St. Andrews or Molineaux, KGR. The game you disdained had the 6th highest crowd of the 8 finals so far played at Wembley. It was watched by just over 35,000 people.
                                  What is noticeable is the Conference play-off Finals played away from Wembley drew much smaller crowds, ranging from 13-19k, rather than Wembley's peak attendance of 47k (um, last year). If playing it there is a vanity project, it's one the fans of the clubs involved seem to buy in to.
                                  There are enough reminders that Conference Football is different, lesser than Fottball League stuff. Holding the Final at Wembley runs counter to that, which I think explains the buy-in.

Comment

The play-off thread

Update from Scotland where the league operates three different playoff structures for its four divisions:

Premiership - Hibs got through the first round beating Raith Rovers 2-1 on aggregate. They play Falkirk next in another two leg tie, and the winners of that one play Kilmarnock, who finished second bottom of the top league, again over two games, for a place in that league. Killie have had a long stay in the top league and have been struggling financially for a few years. They used to have a pretty decent support but their crowds, in a ground which is far too big, are really low nowadays.

Championship - Stranraer beat Livingston 8-6 on aggregate after extra time. Northern Franchise FC were 6-4 down but scored two in the last few minutes to get to extra time, where Stranraer impressively regained control and scored twice. Franchise are full-time but dropping down a division may well finish that. Their crowds are really bad, even for the seaside leagues. Stranraer will play Ayr United in the two legged final - Ayr did the hard work away from home at Peterhead in the first leg and it finished 6-2 on aggregate.

League 1 - I think I've bitten off more than I can chew here. Cowdenbeath 1-2 Queen's Park, Elgin City 1-5 Clyde (aggregate scores) - the final is a Glasgow derby (sort of) over two legs.

League 2 - Edinburgh City (Lowland League champs) thumped Cove Rangers (Highland League) and then drew 1-1 at home to East Stirlingshire in the first leg of the "final". City are attempting to bring league football back to the unloved Meadowbank Stadium.

Comment

The play-off thread

Gangster Octopus wrote: Nice one Grimsby.
                                      A much better performance and I think we deserved it.

Comment

The play-off thread

Hamish! Dougal! wrote: Big raps to North Ferriby for turning it round. They'll be on the phone to Hull KR this week, asking about a potential groundshare
                                        Quite a game down in the village. Boston were bloody awful and never looked in it at all, bleat as they might about the referee, they were well beaten.

Special mention to the Boston fans too. Their numbers were impressive but they haven't got any less vile over the years since I last encountered them. Racist/homophobic stuff being shouted, Ferriby players being pelted with coins/bottles/whatever came to hand, the young Ferriby fans who were doing a bit of singing attacked in the ground during the game by significantly older Boston (well, Forest by all accounts) lads, and apparently a fair bit more carry-on outside afterwards, police helicopter deployed and all sorts. Delightful.

Comment

The play-off thread

Update from Scotland where the league operates three different playoff structures for its four divisions:

Premiership - Hibs got through the first round beating Raith Rovers 2-1 on aggregate. They play Falkirk next in another two leg tie, and the winners of that one play Kilmarnock, who finished second bottom of the top league, again over two games, for a place in that league. Killie have had a long stay in the top league and have been struggling financially for a few years. They used to have a pretty decent support but their crowds, in a ground which is far too big, are really low nowadays.

Championship - Stranraer beat Livingston 8-6 on aggregate after extra time. Northern Franchise FC were 6-4 down but scored two in the last few minutes to get to extra time, where Stranraer impressively regained control and scored twice. Franchise are full-time but dropping down a division may well finish that. Their crowds are really bad, even for the seaside leagues. Stranraer will play Ayr United in the two legged final - Ayr did the hard work away from home at Peterhead in the first leg and it finished 6-2 on aggregate.

League 1 - I think I've bitten off more than I can chew here. Cowdenbeath 1-2 Queen's Park, Elgin City 1-5 Clyde (aggregate scores) - the final is a Glasgow derby (sort of) over two legs.

League 2 - Edinburgh City (Lowland League champs) thumped Cove Rangers (Highland League) and then drew 1-1 at home to East Stirlingshire in the first leg of the "final". City are attempting to bring league football back to the unloved Meadowbank Stadium.
                                          One Killie consolation might be potential Ayrshire derbies.

I was really hopeful Elgin were going into the play off in decent form, but they blew it again. Oh well, means I can go to the Berwick away game again next season (Ms Felicity likes Berwick, as a day trip to the town, I mean)

Comment

The play-off thread

Jobi1 wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Hamish! Dougal!
                                            Big raps to North Ferriby for turning it round. They'll be on the phone to Hull KR this week, asking about a potential groundshare
                                            Quite a game down in the village. Boston were bloody awful and never looked in it at all, bleat as they might about the referee, they were well beaten.

Special mention to the Boston fans too. Their numbers were impressive but they haven't got any less vile over the years since I last encountered them. Racist/homophobic stuff being shouted, Ferriby players being pelted with coins/bottles/whatever came to hand, the young Ferriby fans who were doing a bit of singing attacked in the ground during the game by significantly older Boston (well, Forest by all accounts) lads, and apparently a fair bit more carry-on outside afterwards, police helicopter deployed and all sorts. Delightful.
                                            A shame to hear about the idiots. From the sensible side of Boston fans, it seems your assesment that they didn't turn up on the day is spot on. Throwing away a 2-0 lead is fairly atrocious. My dad and brother went to the home leg and they said despite the 2-0 North Ferriby did pass it around much better whereas Boston were much more direct. It will be interesting to see if the Pilgrims can keep hold of Dayle Southwell now. If not, he will be a huge loss for them. Their top scorer by far the last two seasons.

Comment

The play-off thread

Predictions?

Championship
                                              Brighton 1-3 Sheff Weds (agg)
                                              Hull City 1-2 Derby

Derby 2-1 Sheff Weds

League One
                                              Walsall 3-0 Barnsley
                                              Millwall 4-1 Bradford City

Millwall 1-1 Walsall (Millwall on pens)

League Two
                                              Accrington 5-3 AFC Wimbledon
                                              Plymouth 3-4 Portsmouth

Portsmouth 3-1 Accrington

Conference
                                              Grimsby 2-0 Forest Green

Comment

The play-off thread

Wasn't Portsmouth-Plymouth meant to be last night..?

(The 'P-mouth' derby?)

Comment

The play-off thread

ingoldale wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Jobi1
                                                  Originally posted by Hamish! Dougal!
                                                  Big raps to North Ferriby for turning it round. They'll be on the phone to Hull KR this week, asking about a potential groundshare

A shame to hear about the idiots. From the sensible side of Boston fans, it seems your assesment that they didn't turn up on the day is spot on. Throwing away a 2-0 lead is fairly atrocious. My dad and brother went to the home leg and they said despite the 2-0 North Ferriby did pass it around much better whereas Boston were much more direct. It will be interesting to see if the Pilgrims can keep hold of Dayle Southwell now. If not, he will be a huge loss for them. Their top scorer by far the last two seasons.
                                                  Sounds about right. Ferriby are an interesting side to watch - they do rely heavily on giant striker Tom Denton (who the Boston fans had taken a violent disliking to), but they don't resort to long ball as much as you might expect. Danny Clarke, Liam King and Curtis Bateson are great footballers for the level, although I always get the feeling that NL North probably is just about their limit, as none of them are particularly quick/athletic.

Looking forward to the final against Fylde on Saturday anyway; hopefully will be just as eventful on the pitch and much less eventful off it.

Comment

The play-off thread

Wednesday put tickets for Friday's home match on general sale this morning. I joined the online queue at 9am and was informed that I was number 3886. I've got all the way down to position 44 and the club has just tweeted that the game is sold out.

(The fact that I have only been to two games all season is by the by)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X