X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The play-off thread

Janik wrote:
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles
    I've never understood why anybody bothered with a phoenix club for a Frankenstein outfit with less than twenty years history like Rushden & Diamonds.

Why didn't they resurrect the original two clubs? Were they so blinded by their brief period of bought success?
    AFCR&D get crowds of 500-odd, which is unusually many for this level. Probably more than Rushden Town and Irthlingborough Diamonds got between them. So at a guess many of the people at Garden Walk this evening never had a connection to the original clubs, just to the former Football League side.
    Yes, sadly predictable. That doesn't dispel my antipathy to R&D at all.

Comment

The play-off thread

In tonight's NCEL play off, Bottesford Town beat Hallam 2-0. Another huge crowd for this level, 275, some three times bigger than Bottesford's largest of the season.

Final is on Saturday at Bottesford.

Comment

The play-off thread

So the Southern Premier final will see Hungerford host Leamington (who beat favorites Redditch on penalties)

Comment

The play-off thread

94th minute equaliser in normal time for Leamington and two penalty saves in the shootout after missing the first one themselves.

Both teams in that Southern Premier Final have had to really scrap to get there.

Comment

The play-off thread

Isthmian North semi-finals ;

Harlow Town 3 Cray Wanderers 0

Thurrock 0 AFC Hornchurch 2

Harlow host AFC Hornchurch n Sunday's final.

Comment

The play-off thread

Shaw Lane 3-2 Lincoln United

Comment

The play-off thread

longeared wrote: Bottesford Town beat Hallam 2-0.
                That's a shame. I'd like to see Hallam back in the top division.

Comment

The play-off thread

They feel like a club moving in the right direction after a difficult few years, they've got some good players and a good manager so if they can keep hold of all of them I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them get promoted next year.

Comment

The play-off thread

Everyone else is sniggering when they read the word "Bottesford" aren't they?

Comment

The play-off thread

Isthmian Div 1 South play off final

Worthing 3-0 Faversham Town
                      Attendance 1,889

Comment

The play-off thread

Fuck off, Salford.

Comment

The play-off thread

Toby Gymshorts wrote: Fuck off, Salford.
                          Thank you Robert Benchley. (Let me know when Dorothy and Talullah get here, will you?)

Comment

The play-off thread

It's as pithy as it needs to be, Guy.

Comment

The play-off thread

(Doesn't mean I don't echo the sentiment)

Comment

The play-off thread

And according to my sources, BBC Radio 5 live mention Salford Sitties's promotion, but nobody else down in NLS land.

Doubtless if Workington had won the story would have been "Salford fail"

Comment

The play-off thread

Somewhere, Mark "Clem" Clemmitt is experiencing the gush.

Comment

The play-off thread

In terms of the League playoffs, Hull must play Derby, with Wednesday facing whichever of the Big Three loses out. Similarly, Wimbledon will play the Stanley/Rovers/Oxford casualty, with Plymouth meeting Portsmouth.

Comment

The play-off thread

I think Wimbledon's best hope is a sense of anti-climax from whoever finishes fourth, so on that basis I would hope it's not Roverzzz and that one of the other two drop in there.

The Dons have rather stumbled over the line though with mediocre performances in the last two games after a storming late run prior. I'll hope that's just nerves which may lessen with nothing to really lose in the play-offs.

Comment

The play-off thread

Diable Rouge wrote: In terms of the League playoffs, Hull must play Derby, with Wednesday facing whichever of the Big Three loses out. Similarly, Wimbledon will play the Stanley/Rovers/Oxford casualty, with Plymouth meeting Portsmouth.
                                        Not if Derby lose their last two games and Wednesday win, surely?

Comment

The play-off thread

Yup, Wednesday can overhaul Derby in those circumstances. Don't think we'd beat Hull mind.

Have criticised Wednesday a lot for their ticket prices this season, but the play off is twenty quid across the ground.

Today Bottesford beat AFC Emley on penalties and Shaw Lane Aquaforce lost to Coalville. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Comment

The play-off thread

Diable Rouge wrote: In terms of the League playoffs, Hull must play Derby, with Wednesday facing whichever of the Big Three loses out. Similarly, Wimbledon will play the Stanley/Rovers/Oxford casualty, with Plymouth meeting Portsmouth.
                                            is that A or B play offs do u know? just want to check for dates

Comment

The play-off thread

We can now definitively call it as Hull v Derby, after Brighton's draw - a Burnley win will secure automatic promotion.

Comment

The play-off thread

Janik wrote: Lots of goals in the other Div.1 Central game. Was 2-2 last time I looked, St Ives twice fighting back from a goal down.
                                                St Ives eventually beat Egham on penalties. That made today's final a fairly local affair, St Ives vs Rushden & Diamonds. Over 1500 there, and R&D have just gone a goal up late on.

Comment

The play-off thread

St. Ives equalised in the 87th minute to take it to extra-time. They went ahead in that on 96 minutes, which proved enough. Well done to them.
                                                  I think of Hitchin to St. Ives as reasonably close, but looking on a map that really isn't so - I'm just halfway between the two!

The scorer of the winning goal has the brilliant name of Seymour-Shove. He so ought to be a centre-back given that, but presumably isn't if he is scoring with shots from the edge of the box.

Comment

The play-off thread

Seymour-Shove was the way the match was previewed in the local paper, an' all. Ahh. Well done Football (for once).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X