Cricket Season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cricket Season!

The World T20 flop followed on from last summer's Ashes defeat when it was generally agreed that Edwards was outcaptaincyd by Meg Lanning. She's been brilliant over the years, but it does feel a bit like it's time to move on with a change of leader.

She'll surely still be an automatic selection if she wants to carry on playing.

Comment

Cricket Season!

Gangster Octopus wrote:
      Originally posted by Guy Profumo
      Who the fuck says "computer programme", it's "computer program"?
      I'm a computer programmer and I write computer programmes.
      I would also write "computer programme". I've never heard before any suggestion that this would be wrong (outside of the US, obviously). To what are you referring Guy?

Comment

Cricket Season!

Guy is spot on here.

Edit: now I've reached the office I can use our oed.com account:

Oxford English Dictionary wrote: 9b. Now usu. in form program. A series of coded instructions and definitions which when fed into a computer automatically directs its operation in performing a particular task.

1960 Times 4 Oct. (Computer Suppl.) p. v/3 To prepare this sequence of instructions, or program (a spelling now adopted in computer terminology), the programmer will have broken down an operation into its simplest elements.

Comment

Cricket Season!

I was taught that Computer program is the correct technical term way back in School. This is not new, people.

longeared wrote: The World T20 flop followed on from last summer's Ashes defeat when it was generally agreed that Edwards was outcaptaincyd by Meg Lanning. She's been brilliant over the years, but it does feel a bit like it's time to move on with a change of leader.

She'll surely still be an automatic selection if she wants to carry on playing.
          She appears not to be planning on a return to the ranks.

A pity to lose a player of her talent, but a decade is a hell of a long time to have the top job. She has to be mentally tired by it.

Comment

Cricket Season!

I had no idea. Not sure I'll ever be able to use "program" without finding it wrong mind you.

Comment

Cricket Season!

“After honest and open discussions with Mark, it became clear that he wants to build a new team and I fully support that.
              Tough way to end.

Comment

Cricket Season!

Assuming Worcester are on the their side of the line, I'll be supporting Owd Rodger's Cocks o' th' North against the 'Sex XI.

Comment

Cricket Season!

Detailed article on Edwards.

Some are lucky enough to choose the timing of their own retirement; others are pushed before they feel their time has come. Edwards made it crystal clear in her press conference that she can be classed in the latter category. "I was more than happy to step down as captain, but there was a real hunger to continue playing," she said. "I'm really happy with where my game is at." The choice, she stressed, was made by Robinson. "[He] spoke to me honestly that he saw the next series as an important series for him to develop players and take the team in a new direction…there isn't a place for me in the team."
                  In unrelated news, I'm not sure that I'm going to consider any Windies match to be truly official if Tony Crozier isn't commentating. He will be missed terribly, particularly by those of us who valued his focus on the political problems that plague Caribbean cricket.

Comment

Cricket Season!

Enjoyable T20 Essex v Surrey. I heard someone talking the other day about how the competition should be more like the IPL.

Bit of commentary just now- "Graham Napier retires at the end of the season to become cricket coach at Royal Hospital School where he takes over from Don Topley"

Comment

Cricket Season!

Essex tossed that away really.

Comment

Cricket Season!

I'm just off to Surrey v Glamorgan in the T20. I can't see it going well for the visitors, I'm afraid.

Comment

Cricket Season!

Appears that Ray's glasses may have fogged over.

Comment

Cricket Season!

Yes, that went rather better than expected after all.

As my far-more-knowledgable-about-cricket mate said as we walked in "Twenty-twenty is a great leveller".

Comment

Cricket Season!

Morning everyone, grey clouds and rather cool at Headingley this morning. A Roses match seems the perfect place to blow away the post Wembley blues and this is interestingly poised. I've just reached my seat passing a regimental band playing Living On A Prayer.

Comment

Cricket Season!

Good opening overs from Jack Brooks, generating pace and bounce and regularly beating the bat.

Comment

Cricket Season!

Splendid diving catch by Gary Ballance at backward point to take the first Lancashire wicket.

Comment

Cricket Season!

Lancashire 59-3 now, Luke Procter out for probably the worst 6 I've ever seen.

Comment

Cricket Season!

Collapse well in progress, a further three wickets down since lunch. Liam Livingstone is still there though, he's scored a few against us in recent years. The sun's now out.

Comment

Cricket Season!

Neil Wagner's getting some chin music.

Comment

Cricket Season!

Counter attack from Lancashire's tail, Livingstone has just whacked Rashid right over the roof of the East Stand.

Comment

Cricket Season!

Apologies to Gary Ballance, decided to watch one more delivery before I went to get a train, and he duly got out to it.

Comment

Cricket Season!

Somerset with a tenth wicket partnership of 31 to beat Surrey.

Comment

Cricket Season!

It appears that two-tier Test cricket is set to be introduced - that said, it would take at least a decade for Ireland and Afghanistan to be competitive in the longer format.

Comment

Cricket Season!

Is it clear what happens to the likes of Joyce, Morgan, Rankin, etc?

Comment

Cricket Season!

ursus arctos wrote: Is it clear what happens to the likes of Joyce, Morgan, Rankin, etc?
                                                    Presumably, like now, they would have to remain inactive for a certain time period before they could switch back - Joyce has already gone back to Ireland in recent years.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X