Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Scott? Masters 2016

Fuck.

I really wanted him to miss that birdie putt because he was taking so fucking long over it. Take the fucking shot already!

Comment

So, just a matter of a couple of hours waiting for Speith to play the last 3 holes.

Comment

There's been issues at Augusta in recent years with fading light affecting play on the Sunday. If Spieth forces a play-off, it will be a problem again.

Spieth is like a cross between Rafa Nadal & Peter Ebdon, combining ridiculous shot-contemplation with ridiculous pre-shot habits.

Comment

All sports should end with a "Yeesss!" - or tears. Finish playing at the final whistle / last wicket / game, set and match. Not sitting in the clubhouse.

Wanting to celebrate but not showing it too much, that must be tough.

Comment

Speith in the bunker at 17. Willett can begin to think it's done.

Comment

Well, that's done.

Hey, why did Speith drop so far back of the water on that hole?

Comment

I'm not sure I like this Willett so much. An awful lot of spitting while he walks for a 'gentleman's' game.

Comment

That's where the drop zone is. Pro players prefer to hit a full shot with a wedge rather than a pitch. A full swing gives more control as they can generate the normal amount of backspin, which is crucial when your landing and stopping zones are as tiny of those on pro greens.

Speith didn't have to go all the way back to the drop zone, btw. He could have dropped and played anywhere between it and the flag. But he couldn't go any further back than that.

Comment

Surely, somewhere at Augusta, Nick Faldo is pissed off - which only makes it all the more delightful.

Comment

WOM wrote: Well, that's done.

Hey, why did Speith drop so far back of the water on that hole?
                      He's probably more comfortable hitting his wedge with a full swing, which presumably hits the ball 80 yards or so, than hitting with a truncated half swing to get 40 or 50 yards.

If you're completely metronomic you should know to within a few feet the distance of your clubs with a full swing. Once you start reducing the power or the backswing, there's more room for variation.

He just fluffed the contact.

Comment

A win for Yorkshire. There's nowt better.

Comment

Rotherham, no less.

Comment

A pro wedge goes 80 yards or so?!? Try 130 or more. They really are a different breed from everyday players.

Comment

That would be the 48 degree pitching wedge, I think, Janik. With a massively lofted 60 degree lob wedge it should be a lot shorter.

Comment

Speith has come out and talked to American TV. He said he didn't go to the drop zone, and probably should have done as they knew the yardage.

Oh Christ, Speith has to do the presentation! That is hard.

Comment

Are American viewers getting subtitles for Willett?

Comment

Comment

Thousand-yard stare.

Comment

Right, I knew it was the drop zone, but it seemed like he couldn't be any father back in it if he tried. But the consistent swing thing does make sense. My duffer logic would say to play it as close as possible, but that's stupid.

Poor fucking Speith having to present, too. Damn.

Comment

Just seen Willett's post-tournament interview. He's a chronic 'you know'-er. Don't like him.

Comment

Went to bed at ten PM but carried on watching on tablet, expecting to see Spieth steamroller on until all was done and I could get some sleep (my commute dictates a rather early alarm).

Of course, it was a long while before that happened. What an incredible couple of hours. Heartbreak for Spieth but he will be back. And Willett... I'm not sure I saw that coming, and I put a bet on him.

European golf in a good place, for now, in this Ryder cup year.

Comment

I'd not seen Willett as a Masters champion. Not even on Saturday night. I'd actually put him in my predictions for the Open this year, but he won't win that now. He'll probably be pissed for the next three months. We may actually never see him again, a bit like Jason Dufner.

Casey can't be selected for the Ryder Cup side because he's decided he's not going to play in enough events in Europe to qualify. And Lee Westwood is going to be more scarred by yet another near miss than if he'd just had a creditable fifth, or something.

Comment

My brother had a couple of euro each way on Willett at 66/1. He doesn't tell me this until Speith's quadruple-bogey, of course.

For Spieth, that's three Masters played now, and three top-two finishes. He'll be a short-priced favourite to win next year, no doubt.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Lee Westwood is going to be more scarred by yet another near miss than if he'd just had a creditable fifth, or something.
                                                  Doesn't know he is in contention on the 15th green; chips in. Knows he is in contention on the 16th green; three putts. Oh, Lee.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X